Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrific Movies, Terrible Books.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Terrific Movies, Terrible Books.

Inspired by Hypo's thread.

For me, I absolutely hate HATED the LotR Trilogy. Yeah, sue me. I just don't think Tolkein is that great of an author, and his writing style bores me to tears. But I love love love the movies. Actually, Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite movie of all time.

Also, Everything is Illuminated. The books was so bad and sooooo boring. But the movie was really clever and funny, and connected you to the characters.

I know that it's rare that a movie is better than its source, but what movies do you think are better than the books they originated from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

I never enjoyed LoTR either, I only read the first one. From what I remember, my main complaint was it spending entire chapters on describing some dull situation or event (or a millennia of backstory, hello Council of Elrond, come on down!), only for it to never be mentioned again. You could skip entire sections of that book and not miss anything.

Miriel is going to take a giant tit on both of us.

there was a picture here

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How funny, I just finished re-reading the Council Of Elrond chapter last night. I thought it was splendid. But really, it makes a lot more sense and has so much more depth if you've read The Silmarillion. I will never understand people who don't think LoTR is remarkably beautiful to read, but different strokes. Both the books and the movies are my favs.

I agree about Everything is Illuminated, I liked the movie more than the book. I liked the recent Jane Eyre movie even though I never liked the book. I think it's cause the book didn't have sexy Michael Fassbender.

Stardust was just an ok book but a really charming movie.

Howl's Moving Castle, looooove the movie. Book was meh.
    Last edited by Miriel; 05-22-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You can say LotR isn't your type of novel, but I don't know how anyone could say Tolkien wasn't a great author. He was masterful with words.

How's Moving Castle was definitely better as a movie.

I can't think of many others. There are probably several movies I've seen that are based on books where I didn't read the book because they probably weren't that good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will say Tolkien is a good author in the sense that he has a head for great STORIES. But his writing style is exactly what made me hate the books.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

His writing style is exactly what I love about him. Maybe not so much the structure of his stories. And if I weren't such a rabid fan, I would say he needed someone to help him edit down. But the actual sentences he created? Goooorgeous. Like reading poetry. I mean, The Silmarillion was the hardest book I ever read. There is no structure there. Not that I can be too pressed about it, I mean, the dude died before he finished it. But man, I struggled through it. I had to take notes to keep track of what the hell was happening. BUT, I think it's the most beautiful piece of work I've ever read. I do love me some highfalutin language.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    His writing style is exactly what I love about him. Maybe not so much the structure of his stories. And if I weren't such a rabid fan, I would say he needed someone to help him edit down. But the actual sentences he created? Goooorgeous. Like reading poetry. I mean, The Silmarillion was the hardest book I ever read. There is no structure there. Not that I can be too pressed about it, I mean, the dude died before he finished it. But man, I struggled through it. I had to take notes to keep track of what the hell was happening. BUT, I think it's the most beautiful piece of work I've ever read. I do love me some highfalutin language.
    I respect that. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have to agree that I definitely enjoyed the LotR films more. I really struggled to stay interested in the books. Though you can't take away what Tolkien did. Creating that many cultures and languages is truly remarkable and something that probably won't be achieved again. The films wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are without the wealth of detail Tolkien provided.

But still, he couldn't half stop the story dead with seventeen pages on a group of them smoking pipe weed. I did enjoy reading a lot of the stories in the appendices though.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-23-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, I agree that Tolkien was absolutely brilliant for coming up with such an in-depth world and detailed history of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Damn straight.

Also, I wasn't keen on the Stephen King short story 'The Body' but that was turned into the awesome film 'Stand By Me'. Though that may have been overshadowed by the other short story from the same book "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption". I hear that was turned into a pretty good film too.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I must also agree that the LotR movies are better than the books. The books are often very, very, very boring. I completely agree with fiery that the world and story Tolkien created was fantastically rich, but that his pacing and writing style just wears you down (and by "writing style," I mean more than just diction and individual sentences).

However, I do not mean to rag on Tolkien's contribution to fiction. As a fantasy book buff myself, I will readily concede that Tolkien basically invented the genre as we know it today. Even if I don't think the books measure up individually against some other fantasy greats, Tolkien is still richly deserving of most of the credit he is given.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, chalk another one up to LotR, I wasn't able to get past the second book. I can't think of any others at the moment though.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I can agree about Howls moving castle, but as for LoTR, does Tom Bombadil ring any bells?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i liked howls moving castle better as a book
    not to say i didn't like the movie

i liked the da vinci code movie. couldn't stomach the first chapter of the book, so bad.

im also pretty sure the twilight movies are better than the books. but i haven't read more than 3 chapters of twilight either.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    i liked the da vinci code movie. couldn't stomach the first chapter of the book, so bad.
    The Da Vinci Code movie was nothing special, but it was certainly better than the book. Among other things, it toned down some of the more obnoxious craziness.