Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrific Movies, Terrible Books.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah i don't think i'll ever watch it again, but i mean i watched it once and didn't feel like walking out of the theater, which is how i felt with the book.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Almost every Stephen King movie is better than his book. He's not a strong writer, but the plots obviously make some pretty amazing films. I also preferred A Clockwork Orange film to the book.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the Pride & Prejudice movie better than the book. Austen is a great author, but I'm not a proper lady and I require more sauce.

I hear Forest Gump is a horrid book.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Diary of Anne Frank is much better as a movie. I felt like the book was written by a teenager.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

I also hated LoTR which confused me greatly because I loved The Hobbit and couldnt understand how someone who had written something so amazing couldve lost it all. I also prefered the Pride and Prejudice movie over the book.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

The Bourne Supremacy. I never read the Bourne Identity, but jesus was Supremacy slow and plodding. The book was just so damned long winded, I ceased to be amused be it rather quickly. This one is debatable though, seeing as how everything in the movie series by this point had nothing to do with the books.
    Last edited by GhandiOwnsYou; 05-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    I like the Pride & Prejudice movie better than the book. Austen is a great author, but I'm not a proper lady and I require more sauce.
    I think the two are equal. Pride & Prejudice is one of my fav books ever, and the 2005 movie version is PERFECTION. I can watch that movie over and over and over. A few weeks over I even made Tony sit through it. Best movie ever!

For everybody who says they hated Lord of the Rings, when was the last time you read it? I first tried to read it immediately after I read the Hobbit in the 6th grade and I thought it was terrible. I was all, "Tolkien, wtf is this crap?!"

But I was too young to have the reading comprehension for it.

It wasn't until High School that I really fell in love with it, and re-reading it now, I'm picking up on stuff I never noticed before. I'm sure if I keep re-reading it every few years like Christopher Lee does, it'll just keep getting better and better. I absolutely hated The Great Gatsby when I read it in High School, I thought it was one of the worst books I'd ever been forced to read. I re-read it earlier this year and it wasn't half bad at all. I think LotR is one of those books you have to be ready for, and have the time for. It's a slow read for sure. But it's slow and steady and beautiful. You gotta take your time with it. If you're looking for a page turner, it's probably not your kind of book.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Apocalypse Now > Heart of Darkness.

I can't believe no ones mentioned this yet but I preferred Jesus Christ Superstar over the Bible.

I'm not doubting the penmanship of the many authors of the Bible one bit but I just feel it takes itself too seriously. The ending is also a bit far fetched for my liking.

The genius of Jesus Christ Superstar is that it takes all the good stuff from The Bible (the emo fella with the thorny head, the madman attempting to kill his son, the magic, whoring, the murders, plots, filicide, patricide, fratricide, and not forgetting the sandals) but it ADDS Tanks. Every film should have tanks, I cannot stress this enough. They add drama.

It's riveting stufff.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Apocalypse Now > Heart of Darkness.
    this
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I never read the book, but it is often pointed out that the author of Fight Club thinks the movie version was better than his book. I have seen most people agree with this assessment over the years.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The original book that I Am Legend is based on is mediocre and relatively boring. However the film I Am Legend is amazing. The original book was also set in Ireland which completely changed obviously for the movie.