Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past...

While the article itself was a bit boring and silly, the idea behind the topic was interesting, so I feel it's worth discussing.

For those not in the knowing, Tetsuya Nomura basically made the thread title statement when he recently shot down questions concerning a FFVII Remake in a recent Famitsu article, and basically said that the companies new strategy with the franchise is to focus on new titles. Nomura himself hopes to make an FF title that can surpass FFVII apparently.

So what are your thoughts, fears, and baseless accusations?

Haven't really played any of the FFs after 7. Tried my hand at 12 and didn't like it. I also don't have enough disposable income to get new systems and keep up with new titles, either. It would be hard to outdo 7, but it's possible. You'd have to look at what made 7 good -- not necessarily in terms of specific mechanics like Materia, but the general positives those mechanics had like customizability -- and work with those good things. Then take things that made 7 weak and try to improve on that.

It's about time they made a decision. I don't care if the outcome was a remake of VII or a title they hope will surpass it, but the last few titles they've put out (and the VII spin-offs) have not really measured up. Maybe they should be trying for a game that surpasses VI or combines VI and VII somehow... gasp* I know, blasphemy, right? Though the two really aren't far removed from one another to begin with.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Good strategy but that would be really difficult at the moment. To me, the problem isn't about Final Fantasy as much as the know and how of making an RPG has change a lot in a short period. I think the most basic example of that is if i were an RPG director "what should i choose fast travels/warps or airships/cars?" To me the if i want to make an FF game i will choose airships/cars but if i want to make an "approachable" modern RPG i have to choose fast travels/warps which is much easier and less time-consuming as well.

That is without mention other stuff like the fact that modern FF is like 70% dungeons or in some cases the percentage goes to 100% like FF13. If you want to overcome FFVII you need a more uniquely detailed "locals" not a dungeon crawler with repeated textures.

I feel it is impossible to overcome the lasting impression of any old FF but you won't know without at least trying to.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    I feel it is impossible to overcome the lasting impression of any old FF but you won't know without at least trying to.
    That's true. The old FFs were often ground-breaking in terms of their mechanics, paving the way for a lot of subsequent RPGs. It's hard to find something that hasn't been done yet.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

From the last decade it seems to me that SE has absolutely no clue what they are doing in terms of developing games, and not for lack of ambition. If anything the focus on new games as opposed to sequels and spin-offs will give them some more practice and a higher chance to produce something great.

Now don't I sound all old and jaded....
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's actually a beautiful statement. It shows that at least some of the employees care about making a great game instead of just prrinting cash. And, despite his character-designing quirks, I really believe Nomura may be able to pull it off, judging by his superb Kingdom Hearts series and what we have thus far seen of Versus XIII.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nomura sure likes to talk a big game. How about he stops running his mouth and starts making some games. What has he done for us lately? We don't have Versus, we don't have KH3, the US doesn't even have KH 3D yet.

I'd love to see what Nomura's 'attempt' to top FFVII will be. I'm sure it won't be a bad game, but it's an ambitious goal to try and top such a legend. FFVII's popularity was more than just the game, it was about the moment as well. It will be tough to reproduce that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Nomura's attempts to surpass VII:
    1) Final Fantasy VII-2
    2) Final Fantasy VII: 3D
    3) Final Fantasy versus VII

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy 777/2 Days

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I don't think square enix will be able to come up with a game that would surpass final fantasy 7. With the games that I have seen them come out lately it is no where in the same level as ff 7. I don't think there will ever be a remake of 7 it would take like 20 years I don't think anyone has the patience to wait that long I know I don't. What I would not mind is a 3d version of final fantasy 6. Now that would be sweet. Final fantasy 4 and 7 have been remade so many times. I am bored with those games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final Fantasy VII was surpassed in quality when VI came out. I really do hope though that we can start seeing more games from SE, especially more console games. I haven't got a single one of theirs from this gen yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Come on, VII is far from the best game ever. It's more like Del said - it will be hard for it to do the same that VII did, as it arrived at just the right moment. Nevertheless, I hope they make a great FF once again.

Also, XV is a multiple of 3. And I think we all know what that means

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Come on, VII is far from the best game ever.
    These things are matters of opinion rather than fact. For me, VII is the best game ever, because I have yet to enjoy a game or get as immersed in a game as I have with Final Fantasy VII. *shrug*

I don't think Nomura will ever top VII. I think it's a commendable goal, though, and I wish him all the best as I'd love to find a game better than what I see as the best!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    XV is a multiple of 3. And I think we all know what that means
    It doesn't mean anything. III was not the one of the best FFs, VII was not a multiple of 3, IX was more nostalgic than pure awesome, the only reason XII rocked harder than XI was because XI was strictly an online game. The only possible reason XV would rock is because XIV, another online only game, failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Final Fantasy 777/2 Days
    Final Fantasy 666: Magitek equals Blasphemy