View Poll Results: Who will win Euro 2012?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spain

0 0%
  • Germany

12 60.00%
  • Netherlands

1 5.00%
  • Italy

3 15.00%
  • England

0 0%
  • France

0 0%
  • Ireland

3 15.00%
  • One of the other teams

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Thread

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Euro 2012 Thread

Thought we should have a separate thread for the upcoming European Championships - so who will win it? How will England do (not to mention Ireland)? Will there be a Denmark/Greece-type shock or will Spain make history? And what vegetable will the tabloids portray Roy Hodgson as when it's all over?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

England can maybe make the quarter finals but that's as far as they'll go, in my opinion. We just don't have a great squad of players and with a new manager I think it'll be tough. I'd be happy if we made it out of the group but that isn't guaranteed.

I think Germany are gonna take it this year. Spain are obviously favourites but I think they may come unstuck unexpectedly against someone. Maybe the French in the quarters or even the Germans themselves in the semis.

Top goalscorer will be Andy Ca... haha! I mean either Mario Gomez or Van Persie.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm with bubba - I'm backing Germany to win this year. Spain has literally the most broken and ridiculous midfield ever - Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Mata, Silva, Busquets, Cazorla, Navas and Fabregas. Any one of these would be England's best midfielder. Cesc Fabregas is their worst midfielder for smurf's sake. But I dunno, I don't fancy them for some reason. Probably because they have literally no strikers, with Villa dead, Torres in zombie mode and Llorente seemingly burnt out. I think they will probably play Dave Silva as their False 9 striker.

As for England... I think they will draw all three games (or lose to France and draw the other two) and go out in the group stages Unless THE ALMIGHTY ANDY CARROLL leads us to glory. You be very careful with what you say about Big Andy, England's No. 9, heir to Lord Heskey and England's greatest hope, bubba!

Ireland are the new Greece btw.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yep going with Germany as well, although when England go out in the group stages I will be supporting Spain (Read: Dave Silva).

Big Andy to be our best player by miles, then get tooled at the yes or no game a small scouse woman.

Expected Quarterfinals:

Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up)
    Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up)
    Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
    France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I fancy Poland to be the surprise team this year, based on a fairly easy group and the home-field advantage. The Netherlands will just beat out Portugal but will be behind tournament favorite Germany in Group B.

Spain meanwhile will sail through group C but I really think their lack of strikers will hurt them, maybe even against England. I think France gets top of the group thanks to goal difference over England, as I see both teams drawing their game and then beating the other two teams in the group.

Semis:

Poland (SHOCKER!) Versus Germany
    England (SHOCKER!) Versus France

Final: Germany versus France

Golden Boot: Miroslav Klose (Once more for the golden oldie) or Karim Benzema

Take care all.

Who optimistically put Ireland as a specified team in the poll?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Winners: Germany

They seem to be peaking at about the best time possible with their young squad. I can see someone like Ozil or Muller getting player of the tournament. They hold onto the ball well and score goals for fun. Spain's obvious problems are what you have already said. I think the dark horses in this tournament are France under their new manager. Blanc is bringing in fresh blood and they have been pretty solid since the last world cup.

As for England, they are hard to predict. If they stand a hope at winning they have to ovoid possession holding teams like Spain or Germany, where they will presumably resort to long ball tactics. If the Netherlands can get Van Persie on form or have Huntelaar banging them in as he has done then they will be dangerous as any. It's an open tournament, gotta love it. The only teams I can see winning it then are Spain, Germany, Netherlands, or France. Of course Ireland have a chance with Dickie Dunne at the back & midfield maestro Glenn Whelan bossing play.

Should be a great tournament. Make sure you do your fantasy teams lads!

McDonald's Euro 2012 Fantasy Football

League code to join: 63501-21271

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Will do my FF squad in the next couple of days.

Also we can't all pick Germany! That's boring!

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Expected Quarterfinals:

Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up)
    Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up)
    Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
    France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I fancy Poland to be the surprise team this year, based on a fairly easy group and the home-field advantage. The Netherlands will just beat out Portugal but will be behind tournament favorite Germany in Group B.

Spain meanwhile will sail through group C but I really think their lack of strikers will hurt them, maybe even against England. I think France gets top of the group thanks to goal difference over England, as I see both teams drawing their game and then beating the other two teams in the group.

Semis:

Poland (SHOCKER!) Versus Germany
    England (SHOCKER!) Versus France

Final: Germany versus France

Golden Boot: Miroslav Klose (Once more for the golden oldie) or Karim Benzema

Take care all.
    Just to say, your semi-final lineup can't happen - the draw works as follows:

Winner of Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up) plays winner of Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
    Winner of Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up) plays winner of France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I'm going to tip Italy. Like France they're a lot better than they were in 2010, plus there's another match-fixing scandal like there was in 2006! I just feel they might revert to Good Italy for the tournament. Germany are an obvious threat. Spain will be there or thereabouts but I think they might find one team too good this time round. And I think England might go out in the group stage, with France and Sweden making it out of the group. Not too sure if there'll be a dark horse yet, Poland could be boosted by home advantage as mentioned though. And they have a good group to start with.

In most of these tournaments the team that everyone raves about during the group stage never wins it (in contrast Greece and Denmark both won just one group match when they went on to win the tournament), so whoever gets off to a flyer, don't expect them to go all the way.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 05-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Don't you idiots watch ITV football? England are obviously going to win it, Adrian Chiles practically says so.

We only watch ITV football on mute, to save our sanity.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Just to say, your semi-final lineup can't happen - the draw works as follows: Winner of Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up) plays winner of Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
    Winner of Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up) plays winner of France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)
    That's what I get for using ESPN as my reference. They just corrected their website too.

Well, that revises things a bit. Now, I expect a Spain - Germany final. Do they play a 3rd place match?

Take care all.

No, apparently the third place playoff in 1980 was so dull UEFA scrapped them for European Championships thereafter. In one way it's a shame, third place playoffs are completely pointless but they tend to be better games than the final in recent World Cups.

Blog Entries

We (Denmark) have excellent individual players, but as a team, we suck ass.