Thread: Favorite Dungeons

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Favorite Dungeons

You know, looking back on it, I really did like FFIV's dungeons but which ones are your favorites? I've alwyas been partial to the dungeons that changed my playstyle. Like Mt. Ordeals where bruiser Dark Knight Cecil became less of a crutch until you fought Scarligmaine or Lamias, I also love the Dark Elf Cave because once again, I lost one of my bruisers and had to use my mages more as a heavy hitters. It also made giving Cecil White Magic as something useful and I got to take advantage (at least in the originals) of Paladin Cecil's broad equipment pool. My other favorite dungeons was the Giant of Bab-il cause it had a bitchin' soundtrack and some cool enemies, bosses like the showdown with the Four Fiends, and story revelations. I also adore the Moon, for getting to listen to my two favorite tracks in the game (Red Wings Theme and the Lunarians Theme) and I get to take down some pretty challenging dungeons as well.

What are your favorites?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I like both versions of the Tower of Bab-il and the Tower of Zot because there is something oddly relaxing about the technological look they have.

I also love the last dungeon because while the music is adventurous, the layout and look carries a menacing vibe to it. The last few crystal rooms have a concrete feeling of finality to them also. On top of that, "Within the Giant" is playing which is one of my favorite FF tracks hands down.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My favorite dungeons are the first few dungeons like the Waterway and the Antlion Cave as the game is fairly open-ended as to how to deal with the monsters.

You can use some of the basic spells provided to you by the other party members or use Edward's Song ability to prevent monsters from attacking occasionally. If the monsters hit harder at that time, like they do in the Nintendo DS version, then it would be more challenging than some of the later parts of the game where you have people in more fulfilled roles in battle.

This is one of the reasons that I liked The After Years, too, as you manage multiple parties of varying composition.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

The last dungeon is my favorite in the game. Interesting enemies and the "Ultimate Weapons" combine to make it fun.

Bahamut's cave is pretty cool as well. Behemoth *shiver*

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Everything that isn't the Magnetic Cave or Sylph's Cave.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I like both versions of the Tower of Bab-il and the Tower of Zot because there is something oddly relaxing about the technological look they have.

I also love the last dungeon because while the music is adventurous, the layout and look carries a menacing vibe to it. The last few crystal rooms have a concrete feeling of finality to them also. On top of that, "Within the Giant" is playing which is one of my favorite FF tracks hands down.
    I have to agree that Within The Giant is one of my favorites for the music alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    That.

Also, I am extremely fond of the magnet cave (Isn't the "proper" name the Lodestone Cavern now? I forget.) because it changes your strategy about considerably and manages to tie one hand behind your back in a way that's more challenging than annoying.

Lunar Subterrane. The biggest, the meanest, and full of awesome goodies.

The Lunar Subterrane would have to be my #1 favourite as well. The awesome music whether it's the Red Wings or Within the Giant, all the boss battles that you face for the ultimate equipment, the nervousness you feel once you reach the point where most chests contain monsters, reaching the crystal floor area with the moon's core being visible in the background, it's just so awesome and memorable.

I also quite like the mechanical dungeons like the Giant of Babil and the Tower of Babil (though not the Tower of Zot since the music wasn't as epic) as well as the Sylph Cave and the Feymarch for the eerie atmosphere.