Thread: TV Show VS Movies

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    And I also think it's one of the most overtly sexist and racist shows on television. I mean Jesus christ, T-Dog. Really. T-smurfing-dog is the name of the black character.
    Oh, I dunno. There are some pretty strong female characters in it. It's basically just Lori who sucks. If every woman was like Lori, I'd be a total misogynist.

The black guy is a non-character at this point, yeah. He's not in the comics. The comics have several strong black characters. Speaking of which, wait until you see Michonne in action next season. Black and female and the best character in the whole damn thing. ;P
    Lori herself is sexist what with her women-should-wash-clothes-and-clean attitude. Andrea wasn't allowed to have her own god damn gun in a zombie apocalypse. Carol cries all the time and demands that men protect her and search for her missing daughter while she wrings her hands and frets. There's all that disapproving talk if a female dares to have sex. And then Jesus christ, the pregnancy storyline. Glenn, Rick, Dale, and even Maggie were smurfing awful in that storyline. Yeah, let's judge a woman on her reproductive choices during a ZOMBIE APOCOLYSPE. Glenn who I initially really liked sprouts bulltit about them womenz being cray cray because they're on their periods. And Shane. Mothersmurfing, wannabe rapist Shane. Ugggghhhhh.

I've heard great things about Michonne, but I'm not sure the sexist and racist overtones can be undone by the introduction of just one character. I am excited aout her though.

Having strong female characters is good, but that's just one part of it. I just seriously think the writers are a bunch of assholes.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantz Rantz Revolution View Post
    Let's start an internet argument about it!
    EVERYONE HEARD IT. HE GAVE ME PERMISSION. YOU CANNOT FIGHT THIS IT IS HAPPENING.

I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks True Blood is a good show. That is also tit. And now that beloved Franklin is dead there is nothing redeemable about that garbage apart from maybe the gratuitous nudity.

And to answer your question, I watch movies in a theater, DVD's, VHS (don't judge me) classrooms, on friend's NetFlix, and on mostly on my T.V. as they become available or are on. When I watch T.V. shows it's exclusively on T.V.

I tried getting in to Community and the like, I did, but just cannot. Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace. I don't even really have faith in Dexter like I once did since the last season was complete balls "OMG I LOVE MY BROTHER ACTUALLY." If I'm going to invest a great deal of time in to something it had better damn well have a good conclusion! With movies, if it's terrible, at least I don't have to spend ten episodes per season waiting for it to end terribly.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The beginning of Community, they were still trying to figure out what kind of show it was. It's not until halfway through the first season that it goes from mediocre to fantastic. The paintball episode in particular was amazballs.

Nobody thinks True Blood is a good show. Nobody. You watch it for the beautiful people running around naked having sex with each other.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace.
    Way to ignore the rest of my awesome show suggestions.

Watch Mad Men if you want something artful and beautiful. It's very Joe Wright/Atonement-esque. It also has some of the most subtle and intriguing acting I've ever seen on television.

Or you could go back a few years and watch The West Wing, which I think is one of the best shows to ever exist.

I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks True Blood is a good show. That is also tit. And now that beloved Franklin is dead there is nothing redeemable about that garbage apart from maybe the gratuitous nudity.
    There have been two mentions of True Blood in this thread: one is a bot, the other is you. True Blood is an abomination to television and the only reason people watch it is for the reasons Miriel suggested.

You seem to dislike television because you have more experience with movies. In the last few years, television has seen an incredible rise in quality and to completely ignore that or brush it off is pretty silly. Breaking Bad, Luther, Arrested Development, Castle, Community, Californication, Boardwalk Empire, Bored to Death, Homeland, Game of Thrones, It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, Lie to Me, Lost Girl, Party Down, Modern Family, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, Terriers (which was one of the absolute best shows to come out in recent memory), The Wire, and Wilfred are just a short list of shows that deserve some amount of praise for different reasons.

If you don't like television because you enjoy the format of movies more then say that. Don't say that you hate television because there isn't anything good on.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Castle and Lie to Me? Really? Aren't they just slight twists on the typical procedural cop show?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

So? Good writing and good acting make television shows good. Everything is a typical [fill in the blank] show or movie with slight twists or changes, doesn't mean they are automatically bad.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, but some blanks are filled more often than others. I'm more likely to watch something that has a bit more fresh concept than your typical 'crime of the week' show. So I was surprised to see them among the list of some other standout shows. But if the writing and acting is good any concept can work, as you say.

On the other hand, a unique concept of a show with bad writing and acting can be quite awful! Like a certain zombie apoaclypse show.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There are good movies and good TV shows, but TV is the far superior medium, just in the depth that writers can delve into. There is no movie equivalent to amazing stories like the Sopranos, the Wire, etc. Just fantastic, complex, amazingly written story lines. Dexter is also great, though the last season was admittedly disappointing. Breaking Bad is good, but I don't drink the hype koolaid for it, a least not all of it; I thought the writing and pacing were at times pretty awful in the first season, but it gradually got better as the second season progressed. Seasons 3 and 4 were pretty great.

Not all TV lives up to that potential (most, of course, don't), and I understand people having little patience for overly episodic, simplistic shows that try too hard to have broad appeal. Castle, taking Bunny's example, is entertaining because of Nathan Fillion and some amusing co-stars, but otherwise is a fairly generic cop-show setup that strung out the love interest plot point to occasionally absurd lengths. I will still watch more of it, but I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

But anyone who says all TV is trout or that there has been no recent good TV is just clueless and obviously hasn't watched much. There may not be much more good TV shows than good movies per year (though it's hardly fair to measure them 1:1, as one TV show can provide dozens of hours of entertainment), but there is more great TV out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder
    Castle and Lie to Me? Really? Aren't they just slight twists on the typical procedural cop show?
    Lie to Me is better than Castle, I think. It still is rather episodic, but involves a lot more interesting twists. Pseudo-science, definitely, but great fiction.

Blog Entries

I'm not a big movie person, I feel everything is a bit rushed in a movie. I like development and time to get to know the characters and like them or dislike them. I'm all for TV series. Although a good movie trilogy can make me happy too!

Quote Originally Posted by rosemarie View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I like to watch movies rather than TV Shows..
    I think Movies are more entertaining than TV Shows.....

What do you like to watch TV Shows OR Movies???
    I also like to watch movies. My favorite movie is RIO. I just want to know whats your favorite movie????

*snip*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They're talking to each other now!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was about to say the same thing!

It has begun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Breaking Bad, Luther, Arrested Development, Castle, Community, Californication, Boardwalk Empire, Bored to Death, Homeland, Game of Thrones, It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, Lie to Me, Lost Girl, Party Down, Modern Family, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, Terriers (which was one of the absolute best shows to come out in recent memory), The Wire, and Wilfred are just a short list of shows that deserve some amount of praise for different reasons.
    I watched all of Seasons 1 and 2 of Shameless (American version) but it's gratuitous garbage. The only reason I find it redeeming is because it's about people less off than I am. Schadenfreude. Also the one-liners in the show are great.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia...it's okay. I wouldn't say horrible, but I can only tolerate about two minutes of Charlie Day's voice before I want to turn the channel.

Wilfred was a weird smurfed up disappointing ending to an otherwise interesting show. Left a bad taste in my mouth sort to speak.

Out of the things you listed, I think I will just stick to Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The beginning of Community, they were still trying to figure out what kind of show it was. It's not until halfway through the first season that it goes from mediocre to fantastic. The paintball episode in particular was amazballs.

Nobody thinks True Blood is a good show. Nobody. You watch it for the beautiful people running around naked having sex with each other.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace.
    Way to ignore the rest of my awesome show suggestions.

Watch Mad Men if you want something artful and beautiful. It's very Joe Wright/Atonement-esque. It also has some of the most subtle and intriguing acting I've ever seen on television.

Or you could go back a few years and watch The West Wing, which I think is one of the best shows to ever exist.
    Mad Men, maybe. I've never much been in to period stuff from this era and the fact that it's about people who work at a ad agency (for cigarettes?) makes it all the less appealing, but Jon Hamm is such a classy mo fo that I can't say no.

I watch both, TV Shows and Movies. I think both have their own pluses and minuses. TV shows are something that must be good no matter how many episodes we have watched, but we always stay aware of the fact that this show is good and we are ultimately gonna enjoy every episode of it, but there will always be same characters, same plot line and same taste, I mean their are many highs and falls in TV Shows but it still provides same taste.However, Movies on the other hands are short of about only one and half hour and they can provide different taste with different star cast, but for that we can't be sure of weather the movie we are gonna watch would be good or not so god, unlike TV Shows, where we know that this show is great.