Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prometheus -- SPOILERS!!!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Everyone didn't die.
    Did you watch the whole movie? Yeah, yeah they did, all except one character, who happened to be the worst. The android doesn't count.

And I never said I hated the movie. I just hate all the unanswered questions/plotholes. It's not a matter of "leaving things up the viewer". It's a matter of flat out lousy writing and macguffin abuse.
    I like Kung-Fu.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Last I checked two characters living isn't everyone dying. It's not like this is meant to be a happy story although it isn't a complete tragedy either. If you want a happy ending then go watch a Disney movie or something.

And I wasn't talking about you hating it just the general consensus of many Alien series fanboys.

Story wise I thought it was great. Plot holes are only problematic to me if they're not deliberate. I do wish some things wouldn't have dragged on and Hollaway's character was less of a twit.

Also the Captain didn't let two people die without explanation. I think you missed the part where they said they will choose to stay on the ship to help him fly the ship to stop the Engineer's attack on Earth because he was going to destroy it. They succeeded so all three of them were martyrs but an heroes as well.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I don't know that it's particularly about curiosity any more than the average horror/sci-fi thriller. Imagine Friday the 13th without morons who go off into the woods to investigate some interesting sound. Curiosity is simply a necessary ingredient for building suspense. In the end, the question isn't actually, "where did we come from." That's just the question that keeps us afraid, and keeps us from dealing with what we are. We think we have to know our origin to understand our mass-identity, how we fit into the cosmos.

The juxtaposition of David and the other characters in the story brings the more important (to me) question to light: What is life? and its corollary: What is sentience? What does it mean to be alive? Are our working definitions of "alive" and "sentient" too simplistic and self-centered? At one point in the movie one of the characters, Shaw I think, shows interest in the Engineers because they are the creators of humanity, but David says (paraphrasing): "but who created the Engineers?" The implication being that looking for an origin is a neverending search, as there will always be doubt because of basic laws of causation.

The other major idea, which threads its way through basically all of Scott's works, is expressed succinctly by David in the movie: "Sometimes you must destroy in order to create"
    Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life. This is necessary.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I thought it was pretty sweet.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Story wise I thought it was great. Plot holes are only problematic to me if they're not deliberate. I do wish some things wouldn't have dragged on and Hollaway's character was less of a twit.
    I was pretty down on Hollaway too but in thinking about him and what he did and how he reacted to everything. It seems to have grown on me. He has such a passion about what is going on that he lets his emotions sweep him away. Breathable air? Let the moment take me. Complete and utter disappointment at the discovery because it did not live up to his insane expectations? Understandable and relatable. He comes off as a bit douchy but the anticipation for him is just too great. Traveled an incomprehensible distance to do what no human has done. Why wait?

I am seeing it again on Friday with a friend so I will have a chance to see if these ideas make the character way more enjoyable of if he is just as annoying as he initially was.

Because I was told outright that this was not a prequel to Alien, but was merely set in the same universe as it, I knew that any references to Alien were going to be in broad strokes, if any were to be made at all. It sort of got on my nerves that there were these occasional shots that were only in there because they were in an Alien movie (someone being run over in a close-up shot of wheels, the "We are LEAVING!" obviously lifted from Resurrection, the giant red X with someone banging on it yelling "come on" and so on; I wonder if we were even meant to pick up on these right away?)

Hell, the fact that there even were any allusions to the films themselves was what surprised me.

So I enjoyed the film anyway. It provided way more backstory to Alien than I was ever expecting it to; I literally went into the cinema with a blank slate as far as expectations were concerned. The characters were a bit stupid, but it seems we were meant to see them as unlikeable prats you just wanna see get killed, so no complaints on that front. Anyway, I'm just waiting for a chance to see it in 2D as I freakin' hate 3D films but didn't have a choice in this instance.

Anyone calling this a bait-and-switch needs to stop following unreliable news sources. When Ridley Scott himself says "this is not a direct prequel" then that's what you damn well follow. There had been rumours of him doing a film about the "Space Jockey" for years. Well here it is, a film about the Space Jockey.

Anyway, the film's being received much the same way the original Alien was: mixed. Yet that became a cult classic with a massive expanded universe and some good sequels. Yes, I liked Alien 3, bite me.

Oh, and as far as I am concerned this decanonised those rubbish AVP films. Score.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 06-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Anyone calling this a bait-and-switch needs to stop following unreliable news sources. When Ridley Scott himself says "this is not a direct prequel" then that's what you damn well follow. There had been rumours of him doing a film about the "Space Jockey" for years. Well here it is, a film about the Space Jockey.
    Even though I have said prequel or prequel-ish at other places, it really should be more like a prequelized spinoff ;D Same universe, takes place before the other movies, has nothing to do with the other movies. Yeah...I think prequelized spinoff works but I think the only reason people continue to call it a prequel of sorts is because that is more or less how the movie got started and reported on for a very long time and when things started to change over the prequel association never got dropped.

Even though they keep saying it isn't a prequel the marketing and everything else says it is heavily related to the point where people remember all the talk about a prequel and then make the connection. As usual, blame marketing.

This movie made me want to watch Alien. Like I literally wanted to leave the theater, go home and watch Alien. =/ So, I dunno what that means, whether this movie sucks or whether it fits in with the series...no idea. But I have to watch Alien man.

Besides that, I felt it was a good distraction for a while. Not great, but ok. At least it wasn't the usual Hollywood filth, like whatever the trout Adam Sandler decided to star in.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    This movie made me want to watch Alien. Like I literally wanted to leave the theater, go home and watch Alien. =/
    As soon as it was over Hux and I went home and watched Aliens. It was great.

FFXIV Character

I've watched all the alien movies other than the avp movies in the last few days. Forget Bishop, David, and Ash, Sigourney Weaver is the real robot, bitch never ages!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

So speaking of "Aliens", Hux and I decided that Vasquez in the power loader could have destroyed all of the aliens in the movie.

Agree Y/N?

FFXIV Character

Y

AvPvV wouldn't be a fair fight, Vasquez would kill everything (as long as she had enough ammo).

As far as the power loader specifically, it only works against the queen, the smaller aliens would be able to work inside. Ripley was lucky as it was not to get splashed with acid.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FINALLY saw it today. I really liked it and the unanswered questions did not bother me. The movie was worth the price of admission just to see Fassbender and the entire spectrum of visuals the movie presents.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alien - Director's Cut has been playing on T.V. alot lately so I've watched at least three times now. MAKE ANOTHER MOVIE NAO MR. SCOTT.