Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sometimes there was no excuse for the "Anyone's Line" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Thief View Post
    I don't want to be a huge nitpicker, but to echo some of Roogle's sentiments, the whole 'anyone is saying this' thing in the World of Ruin section almost killed the game for me.

I understand that it is a video game, and that the amount of freedom offered in the World of Ruin was substantial, but I actually enjoyed the character interaction to death. The first half of the game was so, due to the mechanics and the setting and whatnot, amazingly fun, but banter between Terra and Locke, or Edgar and virtually everyone, passing on to Cyan and the rest of the crew, was just amazing. As well, the first half of the game really focused on showing different members of the crew interacting with each other. The 'pick your adventure' section where three teams split up was so effective for that very reason.

So it was pretty heartbreaking to have extremely non-personal lines showcased for the rest of the game. I understand that it would have been a pretty big feat to come up with custom lines for every single tiny event in the World of Ruin, but I would (and I might be crucified for saying this) gladly give up some of the freedoms in exchange for some more 'planned' interaction between the cast.
    I'm getting the impresssion I'm being ignored. True or not I read a thread where they got the dialouge to less than 20,000 words. If the engine was more powerful at the time they could have done more.

I know I'm ignored I tell people things they don't want to hear...so I type it instead.

It's our opinion after the fact that the game should have been this way, could have been this way, would have been this way.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by Greatermaximus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Thief View Post
    I don't want to be a huge nitpicker, but to echo some of Roogle's sentiments, the whole 'anyone is saying this' thing in the World of Ruin section almost killed the game for me.

I understand that it is a video game, and that the amount of freedom offered in the World of Ruin was substantial, but I actually enjoyed the character interaction to death. The first half of the game was so, due to the mechanics and the setting and whatnot, amazingly fun, but banter between Terra and Locke, or Edgar and virtually everyone, passing on to Cyan and the rest of the crew, was just amazing. As well, the first half of the game really focused on showing different members of the crew interacting with each other. The 'pick your adventure' section where three teams split up was so effective for that very reason.

So it was pretty heartbreaking to have extremely non-personal lines showcased for the rest of the game. I understand that it would have been a pretty big feat to come up with custom lines for every single tiny event in the World of Ruin, but I would (and I might be crucified for saying this) gladly give up some of the freedoms in exchange for some more 'planned' interaction between the cast.
    I'm getting the impresssion I'm being ignored. True or not I read a thread where they got the dialouge to less than 20,000 words. If the engine was more powerful at the time they could have done more.

I know I'm ignored I tell people things they don't want to hear...so I type it instead.

It's our opinion after the fact that the game should have been this way, could have been this way, would have been this way.
    I only skimmed over the thread actually, and I wasn't entirely sure what your argument was. I wasn't ignoring you, though.

And I agree that we can all nitpick after a game has been released, but I was just being honest with my impressions. Perhaps I should go back and check out the game again, since it has been a while.

But I am confused, to be honest. What is your argument/opinion, and is it somehow at odds with mine? Because I'm not very adamant on where I stand, so I don't see why I would try to ignore your point

How much of a job is it of ours to correct another fictional work. It really has no end. I suppose it's difficult to top a story like FFVI. Making the character sound like who they are is difficult without generic dialouge.

But any good read/author should exemplify how a character feels through action based off emotion. I do agree with that.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75