Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gamecube

Blog Entries

Default The Gamecube

Gamecube was pretty great, actually. With its Killer7 and its Pikmin and stuff.

Did you have a Gamecube? What's your favorite game on it and why?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still own a gamecube, but I don't play it as often as I used to. I would have to say Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game. I also liked Super Smash Bro. Melee for its multiplayer.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I have a GameCube and my favorite game on it is (SPOILER)Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes which I know is cheating, but.

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness is probably the best Pokemon game ever created, due to the truly awesome things it did to the battle system, the plot, and the lore.

While open world exploration akin to the rest of the series would have pretty much made the game perfect, the new focus worked really, really well. The plot was far more engaging because it felt like it was the actual goal of the game. Since there were basically no Gyms, you didn't get this feeling that the main villains were just minor annoyances behind the true foes, the Elite Four. I mean, I love the Elite Four and the Gyms. The boss rushes and twists they throw in there are great. But the main villains need to be the main villains, not a mere obstacle in the way of my rise to glory.

The whole idea of Shadow Pokemon is a really great addition as well. Both in gameplay, and in the lore of the Pokemon universe. While they were in Pokemon Coliseum as well, they really polished the hell out of the concept with both the alternative moves, the mechanic changes, and the glory that was the XD-001. It is just such a wonderful concept, and I really, really wish they put it in the rest of the series.

Then too, the game did great things for the difficulty, and the teambuilding. The "gotta catch 'em all" bit of the game was retooled, and every battle was a double battle. While I love the sheer awesomeness and variety of Pokemon, and the huge depth to min-maxing it gives you, having a limited number makes you really mix and match your party, to think over what you have and what you can use. And making every battle a double battle meant that the battles were more interesting, and that you couldn't just steamroller every fight with a single, superpowered Pokemon.

I really wish the rest of the series would learn from XD. A true sequel to that game would be great.

Oh, and Metroid Prime is my other favorite, and the reasons for that should be obvious. The game is awesome.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I usually only get one console per generation, and for that one I went with PS2 over GC. But when I got Wii I had access to all the Gamecube games and it was cool to play classics like Wind Waker and the Metroid Prime series.

My favorite game is actually Super Smash Bros. Melee because it really built on the first game and I played it with my brothers a lot. It also introduced my favorite character, Falco.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I bought a gamecube a year after the newer consoles hit the market, and oh man Skies of Arcadia was the main reason why.

I have that game, Mario Sunshine, Metriod Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Twin Snakes, and a few others.

My favorite game is a tie between Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. With Star Fox Adventures a close second.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm like you ^ I never bought a Gamecube but I have been picking up a few titles here and there now that I own a Wii. Right now, I'm playing Skies of Arcadia, which is a pretty awesome JRPG, and later I hope to dive into Tales of Symphonia (so my friends will stop bugging me and learn to like the Tales series) and Baiten Kaitos. I hope to pick up Wind Waker eventually because it's probably the Zelda game I felt bad about missing out on.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I bought my Gamecube for the twin snakes. it came bundled with Mario Kart Double Dash, and when the laser diode died in it i got a completely new retail bundle with a Zelda collector edition thing. THen I also bought tales of symphonia and paper mario the 1k year door.

My favourite game is probably the twin snakes, but I've played ToS the most. I also have twilight princess because I found it in a friend's "trout to throw away" pile and just took it. Haven't played it yet.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Gamecube was a terrible console with almost nothing going for it.

I may be biased because the controllers caused me physical pain.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I may have to check out Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia someday.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

The gamecube is a lovely system with many games. :3 And your hands are too big! ... Probably!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

What kind of weirdass mutation do you have? GameCube had super comfortable controllers.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I agree with le MILF, the GameCube controllers made my hands weep. Then again I am double jointed, so whatever. Only the SNES and Playstations had controllers didn't make my hands cramp.

Anyway, I loved playing Smash Bros and Mario Party with big groups of people. Luigi's Mansion was ridiculously fun and though I only got to play it once, I loved Four Swords.

I've been meaning to play ToS for a long time, is it worth it? I played the Tales game for PS2 and it kind of killed my taste for the series (I'd played Phantasia and Destiny before, btw).

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, I loved the Gamecube. To me, it gave me a SNES vibe, though it never came close to touching the greatness of that console. I remember when everyone thought Metroid Prime was going to be terrible because of the first person perspective, but it ended up being glorious.

That, and my sister and I had loads of fun co-oping against the CPU at decently high levels in Super Mash Bros. Melee. Then there's the memory I have of watching my sister taking the fat pig on Outset Island to the highest cliff, throwing it off, and watching the pig wobble in a rhythmic circle as she made Link jump past the pig in mid fall. She played games in the family room back then, and even my father got a kick out of it.

There is also the Pikmin games, Tales of Symphonia (as other members have mentioned already), Rouge Squadron II, Super Mario Sunshine (people are way too hard on that one), and other titles I enjoyed a lot.

Also, I had no problems with the controller at all. Seemed natural to me the second I picked it up. Except for the d-pad. That d-pad was too small.