Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I get my friend for her Birthday / If you were about to turn 26...

Blog Entries

Default What should I get my friend for her Birthday / If you were about to turn 26...

So, I have this friend, and she's about to turn 26. I've known her for about two years now, and she's kind of an awesome person. She taught herself English, which is pretty epic! Or at least I think so. But anyway, we've been pen-pals for a while, but we haven't really talked much lately, and I'd hate to just ask "Hey what do you want for your birthday." I remember she said she likes shoes, and she'd buy more if she had more money, but I'd hate to ask "Oh hey what size shoe do you wear?" because that could come off as really creepy and/or it would give it away that I'm shopping around for her birthday. Blurmp. I already have a few ideas, but you guys are smarter than me, and I figured I could get more ideas by making this thread!

If you were about to turn 26 and you had a friend with a limited budget, what would you want most for your birthday from that person? :P Your responses will give me good ideas!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno. I think a card would just do, and maybe slip in enough money for her to pay for a pair of shoes.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If you are dead set on giving her shoes, just give her a gift card for a shoe place. I know giving a plastic card can seem kind of lame for someone you care about on a deeper level, but that's why you throw in a card like Proto suggested, and gift her something else that she would like.

Women also love it when you pick something that's symbolic of your friendship/relationship. At least in my experience.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

As a person who is usually on a fairly small budget, I feel the idea behind the gift counts more than the gift itself.

Since she likes shoes, maybe go buy some ridiculous shoe art? Like a shoe keychain or maybe even a pair of Barbie shoes? It shows that you pay attention and remember her interests like a good friend, doesn't put you out a ton of cash and I know I'd really like something silly like that.

If you have any thrift stores near you go wander through one and see if anything else catches your eye, and maybe just send something weird. That's what I do for Shlup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    I dunno. I think a card would just do, and maybe slip in enough money for her to pay for a pair of shoes.
    You're probably right, I could find a card. But I feel like it should be something more thoughtful than that, you know? I mean, I sewed a White Mage Doll for one of my friend's birthdays. I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't make/get something that required just as much effort this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    If you are dead set on giving her shoes, just give her a gift card for a shoe place. I know giving a plastic card can seem kind of lame for someone you care about on a deeper level, but that's why you throw in a card like Proto suggested, and gift her something else that she would like.

Women also love it when you pick something that's symbolic of your friendship/relationship. At least in my experience.
    I would get a gift card, but I don't know if I could get gift cards for any shoe places where she lives, or if she even lives near one. She's in France. Lollongdistance! :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix View Post
    As a person who is usually on a fairly small budget, I feel the idea behind the gift counts more than the gift itself.

Since she likes shoes, maybe go buy some ridiculous shoe art? Like a shoe keychain or maybe even a pair of Barbie shoes? It shows that you pay attention and remember her interests like a good friend, doesn't put you out a ton of cash and I know I'd really like something silly like that.

If you have any thrift stores near you go wander through one and see if anything else catches your eye, and maybe just send something weird. That's what I do for Shlup.
    She definitely likes shoes, but if I get something strictly shoe related, maybe it'll seem like I was being shallow? I'll definitely browse a thrift store though. That's a great idea. ^_^ Thanks!

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    She definitely likes shoes, but if I get something strictly shoe related, maybe it'll seem like I was being shallow? I'll definitely browse a thrift store though. That's a great idea. ^_^ Thanks!
    Nah, with girls it says 'I pay attention!' But either way you go is good, really.

Oh, another idea I use for quick gifts is 99cent store grab bags. You can usually find some fake anime stationary and other assorted odd junk there. You can spend $5 and give 5 presents

Best of luck! May the thrift store deities watch over you from their soiled mattress in the sky <3

If you haven't spoken to her in awhile just wish her a happy birthday. Just grabbing gifts for people you dont speak to often is strange. She might take it the wrong way.

Just wish her your God's-Honest Best-Wishes and be done with it.

OR

If you really need to get her something. Get her a titload of candy. everyone loves candy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Another idea of time permits it: Make her something yourself. Can't really go into detail beyond that for obvious reasons. However, you seem to like the thrift store idea, so have at it, sir!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, I think we ought to know what you mean by pen pal. That seems to be an outdated term to use on a friend. Do you two communicate only by letters (snail mail/e-mail) or something?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

So to you friendship is a plastic card? Nice! xD

If she lives in france then ask some of your girl friends (or just plain girls) what sort of perfume they like, thats what I would do at least.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    So to you friendship is a plastic card? Nice! xD

If she lives in france then ask some of your girl friends (or just plain girls) what sort of perfume they like, thats what I would do at least.
    NO! I actually don't do that specifically. I was just throwing that idea out there! I care! I CARE, DAMN IT!

(SPOILER)It's cool I know you are messing with me.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

A POSTER OF BIG ANDY

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Or am I!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Or am I!
    How KaiserDragon is making me feel at the moment:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Or am I!
    How KaiserDragon is making me feel at the moment:

This makes me lol.