Thread: Good games to play when trying to learn another language?

Blog Entries

Default Good games to play when trying to learn another language?

I feel like I may have made this thread before, but oh well. This seems like a fun topic anywho. :P

I'm not really looking for games to play to learn a language, since I'll be taking classes in the Fall and am studying online right now, but I'm curious what types of games you guys feel would be good for learning a language. Would you play an RPG in a language you're learning, for example? Or would you play a game which is less text-heavy like some sort of platformer?

Personally, I feel like a game that really relies on comprehending what the characters are saying would be good for practice as long as you're proficient enough to understand without guessing. Maybe a text adventure or an RPG. But what do you guys think?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

POKEMON! It's written at a 3rd grade reading level. So it's great to help you learn.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ff7 taught me english
    got i sick proficient

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Assassin's Creed in Italian!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I have learned a lot of Spanish from the N64 game Perfect Dark.

One way I often learn new languages is that I simply try to jump into reading text as soon as possible; I only learn enough grammar to be able to feel somewhat familiar with the way the language works, then start plowing through texts and stuff while picking up new words at the same time.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My sister has been trying to learn Swedish, and she is a big fan of Chrono Trigger. She therefore is playing a Swedish translation of that here and there for the past few months. She has basic grasp of the language already, from what I have heard, but that was the case before she started to play.

I guess based on that, my advice is to pick a game you are familiar with as long as you kind of know the very basics of a language.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

ff advances (vi anyways) have lots of language options and you're familiar with the source material, I'm sure

Games to learn English is a fun way to help English as a second language (ESL) students with English fluency and state. The type of game should be played will depend on the state level student in English.