View Poll Results: Be honest. Who is your ABSOLUTE favorite character from Final Fantasy 12?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vaan

1 3.85%
  • Balthier

11 42.31%
  • Fran

2 7.69%
  • Basch

4 15.38%
  • Ashe

6 23.08%
  • Penelo

2 7.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rank the FF12 Characters!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Rogue Tomato was my favourite character.
    You didn't like the cactoid nation?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

My favorite character was Fran. I once bought a keychain of her and I scraped off her clothing so that she would be naked. This was very recent.

Love the rankings, so I'm happy to contribute.
    FF12 is my 4th favorite of all Final Fantasy's and also the one with the smallest cast. As such, it is INCREDIBLY difficult to rank my characters. I will do this as best I can, but it is quite a task.

1. Penello - While I found it difficult to not rank Balthier as #1 (so you can tell who is #2), I have to go with my heart. Penelo was my favorite character to use and my favorite character in the game. Despite the fact that she is probably the least important of all characters, and had the weakest back-story, there was something about her that did it for me. She certainly seemed wise beyond her years, and I liked the small romance she was developing with Vaan. Penelo was the kind of character I really felt should have had a greater role in the grand scheme of things, but FF12 was very deceptive in terms of who the story was really about. At the start of the game, I thought Vaan and Penelo would be focal points; but in the end they seem to mean the least. Penelo was a strong magic user and I always seemed to give her the Katana or Pole. There is a sentimental attachment I have with her that I can't quite explain, and that alone is why she's #1 for me.

2. Balthier - Balthier is the coolest of all characters in FF12. He's incredibly strong, incredibly savy, and super cool. He's what David Beckham would be if David Beckham were in a FF game. Balthier may have had some similarities to Han Solo, but for the most part was his own stand alone character. His back-story was awesome, his guidance of Vaan was awesome, and his love for Fran was deep. I never had a complaint with Balthier, and always enjoyed his dialogue. He was almost always in my group and a beast with the Zodiac Spear (I know, who wasn't...). Balthier was only narrowly edged out by Penelo.

3. Ashe - During my first play through of FF12, I was frustrated that the main character (Vaan) seemed to take a backseat to Ashe. Initially, I wrote Ashe off, but quickly realized she was an incredibly strong character. She was another whom I'd put the Katana on and giggle as she sliced the bejesus out of my foes. Her magic ability is off the charts and her Quickenings were badass to watch. During my second play through, I really bought into her story and her character. Ashe was another of my permanent part members who I always hated to pull out. There wasn't much I would have changed with Ashe, if anything as she just seemed to work out in every instance. She also had a cool look, cool name, and a bitchen outfit. She personified the female protagonist and felt like an evolution of Celes.

4. Fran - There are no losers on this list, as I really cared about all the characters. Fran was another character whom I didn't like on my first play through, and then fell in love with on my most recent. She was complex, powerful and had a great back-story. She sort of fell from the "big picture" towards the end, but I never stopped enjoying my runs with her. She fits into my gripe with FF12, in that I could never get as much play out of my favorites as possible. If it would have been 4 person teams, I would be thrilled; but alas it was only 3. I would have enjoyed a little more detail into Fran/Balthier relationship; but I would take what I could. Fran with a sword/axe was my favorite combination. She is sexy as hell also. Seriously, who didn't love the Vera?

5. Vaan - Some people hate Vaan, I am most certainly not one of them. I always struggled with determining his true age, but the character was fun for me. The fact that characters could develop as you saw fit was a huge selling point for this game. Vaan gave me 100% flexibility and I relished that. The "bait and switch" of him being the main character through Act 1 and then taking a back-seat to Ashe was a little troubling at first. But once I accepted Ashe as awesome, I was cool with it. Like Penelo, I felt Vaan really stopped mattering in the story arc and wish their relationship could have been expanded on. I wouldn't have minded a little bit more of SOMETHING, but I'm not sure what. I thought Vaan's entire beginning was a little weak; and I just never cared for the Slums of Rabanaste very much. He did develop quite well and ended up being strong enough to keep me interested.

6. Basche - As I said with Fran, no losers on this list as I truly loved all the characters. Basche was my favorite during play through #1, but my most recent playthrough had me using Basche less and less. Now, that isn't to say I dislike this guy at all; it's just he did the least for me emotionally or personally. He was a very strong character with a very strong story; and he mattered through the entirety of the game. He was an absolute monster and felt like the main character through portions of Act 2. There isn't anything I can pinpoint that I would do differently with Basche. He was fully developed and fully realized; but did not resonate with me as much. I think he suffers only because I didn't use him as much as I did some other characters, and for that reason alone; he ranks a little low.

I would like to note that I do love all characters from Final Fantasy 12. If not for some nostalgia of FF4, it would sit comfortably at the #3 spot. It also represents my most painful game, as I recently put 80 hours in coming close to all ultimate weapons; and my PS2 deleted my save. So, f this game

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

1. Balthier. I mean, really, he's just badass. As a bonus, he's funny and has a very interesting backstory.

2. Ashe. She has to get major props for being the first badass female main character of the series. She was not a stereotype, and instead drug the party along by sheer force of will. She also has a great backstory and was developed very well.

3. Basch. The character whom fate decided to take a dump on, Basch probably had the most engaging story. He was badass and resolute, despite everything being hurled against him.

4. Fran. She is a good foil for Balthier, and an amusing character. We delved into her backstory a little, but not as much as those above, and it didn't resonate with me as much either.

5. Vaan and Penelo: I don't really see much to distinguish these two, and I think both get a bad rap, despite being at the bottom of my list. I can see what SE was trying to do with Vaan, and I thought they did it reasonably well, considering the pacing for the entire story was pretty shoddy to begin with. But both characters are definitely less interesting than the rest.

A shame there are not more, well written responses.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

1. Ashe gets top spot for me, although it's a tight one. I found Ashe to be the most interesting personality-wise. She may not have had the witty one liners or the shock twists, but as a person I felt she was given the best storyline and I like the way she would think hard about things and make decisions, it made her feel a lot less... 'simple' than the others. She also wasn't anywhere near as predictable as almost every other character.

2. Basch should have got a lot more storyline given to him, being the almost-main character. Pity he didn't, but oh well. These things happen when politics meddles in video games and the board directors insist on having a young person be slapped into our faces repeatedly.

3. Fran's crazy moments should have been closer to what we saw from River Tam in Serenity, but otherwise I felt her story and her personality to be the better half of the sky pirate duo, despite Balthier taking the majority of the plaudits from, well, pretty much everyone. Fran proved time and time again that while Balthier may have her beat for quantity of wit and one-liners, Fran has him under a firmly placed heel when it comes to quality of wit and one-liners. And, let's face it, everything else.

4. Balthier may be under a heel, but he's still as free as a bird. He brings more humour to the game than any of the other characters by a long shot.

5. Vaan was Vaan. Annoying at times, but not as bad as Tidus, so I guess there's that. Overall he was an 'okay' character, but so very far from a good one.

6. Penelo was a drag for me. Just boring. Dull. I didn't really see the point in having her there aside from the fact that someone needed to talk to Vaan early on in the game. Nothing but a foil for Vaan, really.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    1. Ashe gets top spot for me, although it's a tight one. I found Ashe to be the most interesting personality-wise. She may not have had the witty one liners or the shock twists, but as a person I felt she was given the best storyline and I like the way she would think hard about things and make decisions, it made her feel a lot less... 'simple' than the others. She also wasn't anywhere near as predictable as almost every other character.

2. Basch should have got a lot more storyline given to him, being the almost-main character. Pity he didn't, but oh well. These things happen when politics meddles in video games and the board directors insist on having a young person be slapped into our faces repeatedly.

3. Fran's crazy moments should have been closer to what we saw from River Tam in Serenity, but otherwise I felt her story and her personality to be the better half of the sky pirate duo, despite Balthier taking the majority of the plaudits from, well, pretty much everyone. Fran proved time and time again that while Balthier may have her beat for quantity of wit and one-liners, Fran has him under a firmly placed heel when it comes to quality of wit and one-liners. And, let's face it, everything else.

4. Balthier may be under a heel, but he's still as free as a bird. He brings more humour to the game than any of the other characters by a long shot.

5. Vaan was Vaan. Annoying at times, but not as bad as Tidus, so I guess there's that. Overall he was an 'okay' character, but so very far from a good one.

6. Penelo was a drag for me. Just boring. Dull. I didn't really see the point in having her there aside from the fact that someone needed to talk to Vaan early on in the game. Nothing but a foil for Vaan, really.
    This should be pinned

Basch, Fran, Vaan, Penelo, Ashe, Balthier.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

1)Penelo
    I think she's just really sweet but she also knows when to be serious, which I appreciate. Very friendly and grounded.
    2)Fran
    I enjoy her interactions and learning more about her. I also love her voice.
    3)Balthier
    I like his attitude for the most part and his confidence.
    4)Ashe
    She's a bit too severe for me, but I still like her.
    5)Vaan
    He's alright. I appreciate that he tries hard.
    6)Basch
    I don't dislike him but I don't really like him either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ashe, Balthier, uhh...

Sorry, the rest are interchangeable to me.