• Thought it was funny

0 0%
  • Mog

0 0%
  • Like organ music

6 40.00%

Thread: Why do you like this game?

Default Why do you like this game?

Here's the question: why do you like this game so much that you frequent a forum with it as the subject?

For me, it's the music.

The music is awesome, but I went with gameplay mechanics. I liked the Espers and the special abilities each character had. The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to play this one again. I only played it once, back when I bought Final Fantasy Anthology for my PlayStation, and that was back in high school -- sophomore year, I think. So it's been about 8 years now.

The music definitely meets a deep primal need.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

If I am only limited by those poll options, I have to go with the music option!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I wish there was an "All of the Above answer" because there is very little I don't like about FFVI.

I end up saying character/story because I do love the cast and story, as well as the world and mythology that goes with it. It was the first game I ever played that didn't try to play up the "ye old medieval" style fantasy, and at the same time, it never made a fuss about the sci-fi elements either though that was pretty normal for FF at the time. I just like the concept of the old myths and powers of legend not being a real myth and in fact magic is real, but it's a power man can't really control. Yes, there is an evil empire but the heart of the story is about man's folly with dabbling with things it really shouldn't be trying to control, and the idea of the corruption of power and history repeating itself. The War of the Magi may have been 1000 years ago in the story, but it's effects and lessons are still so profound in the world that the character in the story sometimes make you think it was only a few decades ago. I like the idea of the espers and their own take on humanity and the war and I felt the Magitek Factory and Magicite concepts were both dark, creepy, and smurfing awesome. I still get moved by the characters and the memorable scenes in the game, from the opening of the game, to Cyan's watching his family board the Phantom Train, to the Opera scene, to the end of the world, to Shadow's dreams, to Celes' suicide attempt, to Setzer's flashback, to Locke's reunion with Rachel, to Terra fight for the kids of Mobliz and the awesome final battle and ending. It's all good. At the same time, the game didn't get too caught up in it's dark elements and had plenty of humorous moments especially with silly side villains like Ultros and comical shenanigans like the entirety of Gau's recruitment.

The graphics do an amazing job of showing off something darker than previous installments, and they did some pretty cool things with the Mode 7 effects from the awesome airship flying, to the opening scene, where you see the Magitek Armors march onto Narshe in a snowstorm, and chocobo riding! The bigger and more detailed sprites allowed for much better design choices, with the game going for a Victorian era style with some of the clothing options, really noticeable in Jidoor. The architecture of the building was also neatly done though Vector and Narshe really stand out as the eye popping cities in the game. The better colors and details also allowed Nomura's monster designs to really stand out with magnificent creatures like the Hell's Rider and Amano's Number 024. The magic effects are also pretty badass, VI still has my favorite versions of Quake, Ultima, Flare Star and Alexander.

The game mechanics quite ahead of its time, and was really the first sign of the type of customization hi-jinx we get to see in the later entries, but I also like that the game combined FFIV's pre-set classes with the deeper customization options on par with FFV's job class system. It really was a marriage of the 16-bit era's innovations. The skills allow the characters to have more personality and purpose in battle, but the ability to teach magic, raise stats, and the importance of equipment and relics allow for some really deep customization. It's one of the few games in the series where I really felt they did a good job giving the player options and preferences for play-style. The game also has wonderful use puzzles and deliciously evil dungeon design like Gogo's Lair, Narshe Mines, and the team split up dungeons like the Phoenix Cave, Kefka's Tower and Dragon's Den really kept the game feeling fresh and entertaining throughout. Honestly, I feel FFVI has the best overall dungeon design in the series, yes I said it and the haters can suck on it.

The music is easily my number two option because it does so much to add personality to the game and really sets the mood; not to mention Nobuo got the SNES to really step up and perform some music that seemed impossible at the time. I have yet to be impressed with a soundtrack quite as much as this game. Seriously, it has some of the best character themes, wonderful scores that can make you laugh, cry, feel heroic, terrified, inspired, and totally in awe. I still argue its the best OST in the series, if not in gaming overall. No other soundtrack has so many good compositions, and not other OST has ever done so much to add so much to the story and gaming experience overall. It's no surprise this game has more tracks than any other OST in the series that has been mixed and arranged and used for albums and concerts. It is just so memorable and it was pretty groundbreaking at the time cause despite being just midi quality, Uematsu was able to make the game "sing".

Mog is also awesome and he's still the best moogle in the series, hands down.

So yeah, I'm going to say it's really the whole package here, because each element works with each other to create something truly magical. :ffvipatpat:

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Honestly, I wish there was an "All of the Above answer" because there is very little I don't like about FFVI.

I end up saying character/story because I do love the cast and story, as well as the world and mythology that goes with it. It was the first game I ever played that didn't try to play up the "ye old medieval" style fantasy, and at the same time, it never made a fuss about the sci-fi elements either though that was pretty normal for FF at the time. I just like the concept of the old myths and powers of legend not being a real myth and in fact magic is real, but it's a power man can't really control. Yes, there is an evil empire but the heart of the story is about man's folly with dabbling with things it really shouldn't be trying to control, and the idea of the corruption of power and history repeating itself. The War of the Magi may have been 1000 years ago in the story, but it's effects and lessons are still so profound in the world that the character in the story sometimes make you think it was only a few decades ago. I like the idea of the espers and their own take on humanity and the war and I felt the Magitek Factory and Magicite concepts were both dark, creepy, and smurfing awesome. I still get moved by the characters and the memorable scenes in the game, from the opening of the game, to Cyan's watching his family board the Phantom Train, to the Opera scene, to the end of the world, to Shadow's dreams, to Celes' suicide attempt, to Setzer's flashback, to Locke's reunion with Rachel, to Terra fight for the kids of Mobliz and the awesome final battle and ending. It's all good. At the same time, the game didn't get too caught up in it's dark elements and had plenty of humorous moments especially with silly side villains like Ultros and comical shenanigans like the entirety of Gau's recruitment.

The graphics do an amazing job of showing off something darker than previous installments, and they did some pretty cool things with the Mode 7 effects from the awesome airship flying, to the opening scene, where you see the Magitek Armors march onto Narshe in a snowstorm, and chocobo riding! The bigger and more detailed sprites allowed for much better design choices, with the game going for a Victorian era style with some of the clothing options, really noticeable in Jidoor. The architecture of the building was also neatly done though Vector and Narshe really stand out as the eye popping cities in the game. The better colors and details also allowed Nomura's monster designs to really stand out with magnificent creatures like the Hell's Rider and Amano's Number 024. The magic effects are also pretty badass, VI still has my favorite versions of Quake, Ultima, Flare Star and Alexander.

The game mechanics quite ahead of its time, and was really the first sign of the type of customization hi-jinx we get to see in the later entries, but I also like that the game combined FFIV's pre-set classes with the deeper customization options on par with FFV's job class system. It really was a marriage of the 16-bit era's innovations. The skills allow the characters to have more personality and purpose in battle, but the ability to teach magic, raise stats, and the importance of equipment and relics allow for some really deep customization. It's one of the few games in the series where I really felt they did a good job giving the player options and preferences for play-style. The game also has wonderful use puzzles and deliciously evil dungeon design like Gogo's Lair, Narshe Mines, and the team split up dungeons like the Phoenix Cave, Kefka's Tower and Dragon's Den really kept the game feeling fresh and entertaining throughout. Honestly, I feel FFVI has the best overall dungeon design in the series, yes I said it and the haters can suck on it.

The music is easily my number two option because it does so much to add personality to the game and really sets the mood; not to mention Nobuo got the SNES to really step up and perform some music that seemed impossible at the time. I have yet to be impressed with a soundtrack quite as much as this game. Seriously, it has some of the best character themes, wonderful scores that can make you laugh, cry, feel heroic, terrified, inspired, and totally in awe. I still argue its the best OST in the series, if not in gaming overall. No other soundtrack has so many good compositions, and not other OST has ever done so much to add so much to the story and gaming experience overall. It's no surprise this game has more tracks than any other OST in the series that has been mixed and arranged and used for albums and concerts. It is just so memorable and it was pretty groundbreaking at the time cause despite being just midi quality, Uematsu was able to make the game "sing".

Mog is also awesome and he's still the best moogle in the series, hands down.

So yeah, I'm going to say it's really the whole package here, because each element works with each other to create something truly magical. :ffvipatpat:
    Wait, so do you like FFVI or not? I am not sure I understand!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would say it's so-so

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I would say it's so-so
    Hmm...better send that soldier something.

Received 6 Ethers!

But seriously, Final Fantasy VI makes VII its bitch in so many fundamental ways. If Square Enix ever decides they want our money and remakes 6 in a modern mold, everyone will know how much better VI is.

The pacing, the imagery, the mythology...

But what it really comes down to is tension and release. If you go into Final Fantasy VII expecting tension, you get let down, because of the glacial pace of the story. I swear there were times when I was waiting for a character to move across the screen. But Final Fantasy VI spends one half building the tension to a fever pitch, and then takes as long as it can possibly take paying it off in the end.

By the time you've finished everything VI has to offer, you feel like you've been from one dimension to another, almost more than with Final Fantasy V, where you actually end up crossing dimensions. The second half of the game is such a different atmosphere that it's almost two games in one.

Tension. Release. Two games in one. Spit. I've lost my train of thought.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm just going to echo Wolf Kanno's thoughts because he always says everything I want to and I hate repeating stuff

I love everything about the game. The story, characters, music and the gameplay.
    By far my favourite game in the series.

Soggy Bottom Boys- I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - YouTube

If you like Final Fantasy 6, this is you.

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong. It is the internet, after all.

Blog Entries

Im going to agree with what Jiro says, since he usually agrees with what Wolf Kanno says.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Love it until 20 and beyond. Now I'm 30 where does the time go? I still remember it.

It'll always have a place in my heart. Words can't always describe it. It's so believeable it's unbelieveable.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75