Thread: Which version of FFV should I play?

Blog Entries

Default Which version of FFV should I play?

The ones I'm choosing between here are the 1997 RPGe Fan Translation and the GBA version released in 2006. I've gotten very far in the PSX version, but I've never actually beaten the game, and I wasn't really very fond of Faris' pirate accent. (Arrr!) There were some INSANE glitches in that version though, I swear. Once, I was in ExDeath's castle, and the game glitched out like mad and my character was walking super slowly, and when I'd get in battles there was a fat pig with a halo and an angel would show up and carry it away into the sky. Seriously. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the stairs so I could switch rooms and everything went back to normal.

But anyway, between RPGe and GBA, which is better?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

GBA, by a huge amount. Extra content, faster, smoother.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    GBA, by a huge amount. Extra content, faster, smoother.
    Besides the extra content, how does the translation itself compare? I know there are lots of neat references like Gilgamesh's "Morphin' Time!", but is it very faithful to the original script? o,o

Articles
    Blog Entries

It is the best available translation of the game. Clean and clear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    It is the best available translation of the game. Clean and clear.
    Thanks! I'll play this version then.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Enjoy!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the GBA version is just better. While the four new classes are not exactly outstanding, the bonus dungeon is pretty badass and the translation of the game overall, is pretty incredible.

I am trying to pick between versions of FFV as well, but I don't have the GBA option available to me, so it's between the Greatest Hits version of FFV on PS1, or the RPGe fan translation.

In my limited experience, the load times for V aren't as bad as they were for VI or Chrono Trigger. However, I understand the translation leaves much to be desired. In addition, I'll be playing it on either PS2 or PS3, and I know there are various issues with both of them. The graphical menu glitch on PS2 doesn't bother me, but the freezing obviously would on PS3.

Then there's the possibility of using the PC and a fan translation. I understand the fan translation is far superior, but I'm not so sure about playing on the computer as opposed to playing it on a TV. (though, to be fair, the first (and only) time I've played the entire way through VII it was the PC version)

So the question is, do the translation and load times outweigh playing it on a TV? I've never played through a game on emu before, and in fact of all the FFs I've beaten I, IV, VI, VII-X...almost all of those were beaten on the same PS2 console, so nostalgia's sake might be in favor of Anthology as well...
    Currently playing FFV
    On deck FFVIII (replay)
    Recently finished FFXII: Zodiac Age, VII (replay), XV, VIIR

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FFVA has the best script and the most content, but sadly, the audio quality is noticably reduced.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Edgar View Post
    I am trying to pick between versions of FFV as well, but I don't have the GBA option available to me, so it's between the Greatest Hits version of FFV on PS1, or the RPGe fan translation.

In my limited experience, the load times for V aren't as bad as they were for VI or Chrono Trigger. However, I understand the translation leaves much to be desired. In addition, I'll be playing it on either PS2 or PS3, and I know there are various issues with both of them. The graphical menu glitch on PS2 doesn't bother me, but the freezing obviously would on PS3.

Then there's the possibility of using the PC and a fan translation. I understand the fan translation is far superior, but I'm not so sure about playing on the computer as opposed to playing it on a TV. (though, to be fair, the first (and only) time I've played the entire way through VII it was the PC version)

So the question is, do the translation and load times outweigh playing it on a TV? I've never played through a game on emu before, and in fact of all the FFs I've beaten I, IV, VI, VII-X...almost all of those were beaten on the same PS2 console, so nostalgia's sake might be in favor of Anthology as well...
    Just play the first hour or two between each version that you are thinking about. That way you can easily determine which version of the game you prefer and/or which environment you'll be deal with in real life (TV vs PC). Whichever wins after the hour or two is up, continue playing that version!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    FFVA has the best script and the most content, but sadly, the audio quality is noticably reduced.
    That bothers me as well, especially playing it on a TV.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's basically because the SNES had a god damned awesome sound chip, while the GBA just has some random trash

if you're feeling pro, you can download a modded ROM for use with a GBA emulator which will bump the audio quality up a bit again. You'll get better polyphony, but the quality of each channel is gonna be the same.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?