Thread: Whatcha readin' part II

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I finished Bel Canto and the ending was appropriate, but the Epilogue was just awful and made no sense.

Now on to Life of Pi, recommended by my in-house book screener.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone today and I have to say, it might be the best fantasy book I've read in a long time. Especially urban fantasy? Forget about it, hands down the best.

Who would ever expect that with a ridiculous cover art and the dumbest plot description, that this book would be so lovely? The writing was beautiful. Sometimes the concepts didn't live up to how lyrical the writing could be or the richly imagined backdrop. But overall it was so enjoyable and so smart. It wasn't dumbed down for the masses. I appreciate that so much. Especially in the current reading landscape where horrible writing and weak characters are rewarded with millions in sales.

It reminded me of The Golden Compass in how the world in the book just came to life so fully and effortlessly. Plus, like I mentioned before, I female protagonist worth rooting for. The whole time I was reading the book, I could visualize everything. And it makes me crazy excited to see the world come to life in a movie. I can see it being very Pan's Labyrinth-y.

The only ding was that I really don't like it when the main characters who fall in love are always ridiculously good looking people.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Now on to Life of Pi, recommended by my in-house book screener.
    ^_^

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Recently finished:

The Fault in Our Stars
    Before I Fall
    If I Stay
    Where She Went
    Beautiful Ruins

Recently started:
    Gone with the Wind
    City of Ember

The Fault in Our Stars - Had me SOBBING at the end. I really liked John Green's Looking for Alaska and I heard great things about The Fault in Our Stars. I thought it was really really good. Not perfect, but if you can overlook some of the pretentious bits, I think it's a book that can just go straight to your heart and nestle in there.

Before I Fall - It was ok except you know, main character was super unlikable. Really just a horrible person. Parts of it were lovely though.

If I Stay - Again just gutted by the end. Cried and cried. I loved this book.

Where She Went - Super high expectations as the followup to If I Stay. It was a let down.

Beautiful Ruins - Really enjoyed parts of it. Other parts kinda lagged. Overall a pretty fun read. It's weird because I thought it would be a beach read, but it ended up being way above that cheap easy level.

After this string of contemporary stuff, I went with a classic and started Gone with the Wind. Oh my god, this book is crazy racist! Why does no one mention that when they talk about this book??

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Life of Pi was great. I recommend it to anyone! Going to read Fight Club now, which I picked up at a used bookstore while I waited for my lunch to be ready.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Life of Pi was great. I recommend it to anyone! Going to read Fight Club now, which I picked up at a used bookstore while I waited for my lunch to be ready.
    I loved Life of Pi. I've tried reading it again, but I just can't. I think the impact of reading it once was enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    That thread is gone from the first page. What the hell?

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Written in 1998 it chronicles the story of an American family headed by a patriarchal, fervent and insanely prideful Reverend Nathan Price who is bent on saving the souls of the Congolese. The story is told mostly from the perspective of his four daughters who are practically his captives.
    God, I loved that book! I've tried to have several people I know read it, and they're like "*whine* it's so long!" smurf THEM. I love you for reading this book.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    That thread is gone from the first page. What the hell?

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Written in 1998 it chronicles the story of an American family headed by a patriarchal, fervent and insanely prideful Reverend Nathan Price who is bent on saving the souls of the Congolese. The story is told mostly from the perspective of his four daughters who are practically his captives.
    God, I loved that book! I've tried to have several people I know read it, and they're like "*whine* it's so long!" smurf THEM. I love you for reading this book.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention again. I need a new book for work this weekend!

Blog Entries

Haven't really been in the mood for reading the last couple months. Still slowly chugging away at Game of Thrones.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Haven't really been in the mood for reading the last couple months. Still slowly chugging away at Game of Thrones.
    That's the problem. They're good books, but slow-ish. I read four of the books, and half of the fifth book all in a month and a half.

I took a break because I needed to read something different.

Blog Entries

Yeah, they are really good. I also watched the first season so I'm like well I'm this far into it (I have a kindle and purchased the first 4 books in a set) I just can't wait to get into the second book!

Blog Entries

I am also reading Game of Thrones. The first book. I want to break after it. Yikes.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I eventually need to read the second book to see if I actually like the series. There were some really great things about the first book and some really, really awful things.

For some reason I stopped reading about the middle of last month when I finished The Good Earth. Or maybe The Girl Who Played with Fire.

That's a lie. I was re-reading Breakfast of Champions but then I stopped for some reason a week ago. Time to get back on it.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I eventually need to read the second book to see if I actually like the series. There were some really great things about the first book and some really, really awful things.

For some reason I stopped reading about the middle of last month when I finished The Good Earth. Or maybe The Girl Who Played with Fire.

That's a lie. I was re-reading Breakfast of Champions but then I stopped for some reason a week ago. Time to get back on it.
    My penis is 3 inches wide.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I attempted to read 50 Shades of Grey to see what the fuss was all about (my girl kinda blackmailed me in to it) I got to chapter 9 before I was begging her to let me stop it. I honestly have found a book I think is worse written than Twilight! I know it's impossible but it's true. The amount of grammatical faux pas, errors and the continuity issues along with the least sexy sex scenes ever witnessed in literature I couldn't continue.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That took you nine whole chapters to discover?