Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha readin' part II

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

It's took a while, but I'm finally near the end of American Psycho. I can only truly focus on reading on trains, I was reading it on the way back home the other day with a permanent ':O' on my face at how truly disgusting and.. explicit the book is. You almost feel a bit dirty reading it.

I started reading Haruki Murakami's The Wind Up Bird Chronicle the other week too. I plan to focus on it after American Psycho.

My housemate recommended me a book I was unheard of, Grow Up written by Ben Brooks and this book didn't require a train journey; I didn't move from my seat and completed the book first thing the next morning. I very very very much recommend it if you're a fan of Catcher in the Rye especially.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I'm rereading R.A. Salvatore's Sell Swords series. I love the way that he writes and this particular series was awesome.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i finally
    after a decade of attempts
    finished sophie's world

i really liked it
    but it doesn't get interesting plot wise until half way through.
    i got tired of taking notes though. maybe i'll go through it again and take some quick ones now that i know how to do it efficiently (letters and dialogues and skipping the plot)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

NOW THAT I HAVE INTERNET

AND FINISHED SON OF NEPTUNE (again)

I AM GOING TO BUY MARK OF ATHENA OMGGGGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    I started reading Haruki Murakami's The Wind Up Bird Chronicle the other week too. I plan to focus on it after American Psycho.
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a fantastic book, as are all of Murakami's that I've read. I think Norwegian Wood is my favourite, as it's the one I read first, but I think Wind Up Bird is his best book. I keep meaning to re-read it.

I finished The Pursuit of Italy over the weekend and really enjoyed the ending. I think when you know the last section of the book is going to cover the trials and tribulations of the colourful Mr. Berlusconi, you can't help but look forward to finishing it.

I've started reading The Affluent Society by John Kenneth Galbraith today. Partly because I'm obviously a pretentious jerk, partly because I was recommended it ages ago and have been meaning to read it for a while, and partly because I quite enjoyed The Great Crash when I read it a few years back.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished Brave New World the other day. I didn't much care for the ending, but that's not uncommon for me with novels. Loved it otherwise. The narrative itself is fairly weak but the philosophy is fascinating.

Started Slaughterhouse Five yesterday. Been looking forward to this since I started reading about Vonnegut recently (I'm woefully ignorant about a lot of important literature, sadly). I didn't get far - spent more time finagling the Kindle edition on to my girlfriend's reader - but I'm already entranced by his writing style.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I recently finished The Hobbit, and now a few chapters into The Lord of the Rings, after having only read Fellowship when I was around 11 or 12. I'm really amazed at the jump from more a children's novel (a really good and deep one, mind you) to a big boy fantasy story. Also, Tolkien really packs a punch into every sentence.

I was thinking of going into The Prince of Nothing series or the Malazan Book of the Fallen novels and was wondering if any of you into fantasy have heard of them...

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Started Slaughterhouse Five yesterday. Been looking forward to this since I started reading about Vonnegut recently (I'm woefully ignorant about a lot of important literature, sadly). I didn't get far - spent more time finagling the Kindle edition on to my girlfriend's reader - but I'm already entranced by his writing style.
    Vonnegut is one of my favs. Although I didn't love Slaughterhouse Five. If you like his stuff, try Sirens of Titen next.

I finished the Sparrow. It was smurfing depressing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah it was. i think there's a sequel, isn't there? i'm in no rush to find out about it.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is there? I would have no interest in reading it.

I thought The Sparrow was really well written with amazing characters. But the whole time I'm reading it, there's just this incredible dread. And it was a longer book than I anticipated. So it took ages and ages of creepy build up to actually get to the bad stuff and by the time I got there, I just did not want to deal with any of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah i agree with the writing and the characters and the build up
    i was a bit more lenient to the length i think, i felt the end and revelations portion was done really quickly compared to the rest of the story (the rest of the build up haha)

i think it wouldn't have been such a strong book for me if the time line was just linear. i kind of liked having the axe hang over everything from the beginning.

Children of God (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that's the sequel
    i'm tempted to read the plot summary, but the rating on goodreads was actually pretty good too...like 0.10 less than the original. maybe i'll leave it for some future time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

I was thinking of going into The Prince of Nothing series or the Malazan Book of the Fallen novels and was wondering if any of you into fantasy have heard of them...

I have a few of the Malazan books...the first one then a few others that aren't in the first part of the series (my brother bought me the first one but some of the books are a bit more expensive)

It wasn't too bad actually but you don't really get background information so you have to read into the book to understand more of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Patternmaster right now.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Jowy's post.