Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha readin' part II

Currently reading Principles of Biochemistry as well as Microbiology: An Evolving Science. Thrilling tales are told.
    This space intentionally left blank.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and wasn't terribly impressed by it compared to American Gods. Still enjoyed it though!

Now I'm reading the cheeriest of possible books, A Century of Genocide by Eric D. Weitz.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The prose is witty and sharp, and it appeals to my inner math-nerd. Great read so far, about 1/4 of the way through.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Necronomicon.

(SPOILER)Those who get it, will get it.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished Gone Girl. It was kinda ridiculous but also awesome. Such a different kind of book from what I normally read. I really liked it.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

A bunch of school stuff. Mostly philosophy texts. I've learned two things: many analytical philosophers are rather dry and that I still love my French philosophers (though Deleuze not so much...).

The last thing I was reading for please was The Great Partnership: Science, Religion, and the Search of Meaning by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. I have yet to finish it, sorta got stuck in the "Relationship" chapter (it becomes very obvious his conservative social stance at this point). I still find it nonetheless interesting though I don't agree with him on several points, he does bring up good points, especially regarding the odd marriage of the Hebrew notion of God and the Aristotelian God and how that led to our (starting with the 17th century) modern problem of science and religion. His prescriptive and parallels he draws are interesting for the most part. I just picked up Charles Taylor's A Secular Age since many of my profs have mentioned him and seems worth a try. The book is rather huge, so it might be a rather taxing undertaking so close to exams.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Now I'm reading the cheeriest of possible books, A Century of Genocide by Eric D. Weitz.
    While that sounds interesting, I really can't imagine it's particularly light or pleasant reading!

I worked my way through The Affluent Society and quite enjoyed it. I can certainly see how it must have been a pretty revolutionary book upon its first publication. I won't deny that I'm a total economics novice nor that I have come away from the book with anything like a proper understanding of some of the economics involved, but I thought the sections on the way that wealth justified itself and the obsessions with production over more tangible and more human measures were pretty interesting. I couldn't help but feel that I liked the book partly because, in some sections, Galbraith was probably preaching to the converted.

This week I've started reading The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler. I'd never heard of it before until I came across it in a bookshop and it sounded interesting. Can't go wrong with a nice book attacking Victorian hypocrisy. I've found it quite amusing so far, and a surprisingly good read. Only about a third the way through, but I'm quite enjoying it.
    Last edited by Heath; 11-16-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I forgot an apostrophe and I'm sad enough to care about that sort of thing.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm reading These Children Who Come at You with Knives for the second time because it's funny, maniacal, absurd, clever, and most of all it's the tits.

I'm thinking of picking up this gem: Blood and Oil: The Dangers and Consequences of America's Growing Dependency on Imported Petroleum (American Empire Project): Michael T. Klare: 9780805079388: Amazon.com: Books because I'm curious about what's going on with the oil situation and hopefully this can give me more of a clue as to why we do or do not actually need imported oil.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. It was excellent. I will one day give this book to my future daughter to read.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Started World War Z recently and finished it yesterday after letting it sit on the shelf for a few years. Twas awesome, and I doubt I need to explain why to most of the folks around here. I wish I'd gotten to it sooner now, but better late than never.

Also bought most of the collected Sherlock Holmes stories in a lovely little $10 paperback version. Started A Study in Scarlet on the bus this morning. Only got about 6 pages in but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I've been all into the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Made it into the fourth book, A Feast for Crows. Into it approximately 200 pages out of 900-something. T___T

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Just finished reading the first edition (the 1818 one) of "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley for the second time, since I'm writing about it for my BA (along with "Wuthering Heights" and "Wide Sargasso Sea"). I friggin' dig that book.

Before that I read "Animal's People" by Indra Sinha, which is a postcolonial book about the Bhopal Disaster in India. It's quite amusing and tragic at the same time, and a very good book. Animal, the narrator, is a terrific character - he's basically a lovable prick and dirtbag and you can't help but just really like him.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Finished: The Hobbit

Reading: The Silmarillion

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Currently reading Jessica Ennis's autobiography Unbelievable.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It reminded me of how much I love Greek mythology. I wasn't so sure about the book in the beginning. But I fell in love with the middle and shed tears at the end. Isn't that weird? To hope for a different ending, even when you know it won't come?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Reading: The Silmarillion
    Go go go! Be patient with The Silmarillion. It's less of a novel and more of a mythology. So you kind of need to prepare yourself for that. And I actually took down notes when I first read it to keep all the names straight.