Thread: Difficulty

Default Difficulty

Alright so i have never played final fantasy 1, well i can download orgins on psn, for only 9.99, i hear you can change the settings back to the original game, so you pretty much get only better graphics and interface.

My question:
    How difficult is the game on normal mode, i can't play any ff game unless it offers a challenge, i was tempted to play Vi, or Iv, But i keep reading reviews saying it is easy to moderate, this is just a turn off simply. I want a challenging final fantasy, but anything other then tactics the graphics style looks awfull.

On a scale 1/10 Would this game be a challenge first run through? I do normally use a walkthrough, and what is the replay value of orgins.

I haven't played the NES or Origins version of the game, but I have done some reading about them. To my understanding, it is tough. If you've never played it before, you will probably have a hard time. Replay value varies from person to person, but if you want a challenge, you'll get your wish.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The original can be challenging, though if you want the real nasty version of it, you would need to play the NES version, since that's the version where half the stuff in the game doesn't work like it's suppose to, which causes one class to really be screwed (Black Mage) and some of the later boss fights get pretty nasty since it's impossible to use debuffs and buffs that don't actually work. Origins allows you to play the original version with everything actually working; or the more user-friendly Easy Mode, which ultimately means that Mages get more spells charges, prices are half what they use to be, and enemies give more Exp. for beating them. All of the post-Origins ports of this game tend to utilize this easy mode set-up with the exception of dropping spell charges in exchange for later installments MP system.

Origins is pretty faithful to how the game was suppose to work, and it can be very frustrating and challenging for people who are used to more modern entries. FFI tends to be a very grind heavy game, either for levels but more often for gear and spells. If you're using a guide, you'll be able to avoid some of the more frustrating aspects about the game, like the fact it rarely tells you what to do next. It tends to follow the trend of most FF titles, where it's more challenging in the first half of the game before you unlock some of the more abusive aspects of the game. In FFI, that would be the Class Change sidequest and finding gear that allows you to cast stuff like Heal 2 and Haste for free and over and over. So FFI kind of gets easier as you go along, which is kind of nice because the dungeons in this game are long and brutal on item management.

In terms of replay value, it actually has quite a bit. The game is relatively short compared to later installments so it's not as much of a hassle to do multiple playthroughs. You only get to have four people in your party, but there are six classes to choose from and it's possible to even make all four of your characters the same class, so replay value comes from challenging the game with multiple different party configurations. There is even a rare super enemy in the last stages of the game that can be challenged if you are lucky enough to encounter it.

Thanks for the replies, yeah nes version is like 12 dollars used on amazon + 6.99 shipping damn... well i downloaded orgins and currently installing it, i used to play dragon warrior for the nes lol and enjoyed it a lot, so i can imagine this is a huge improvement. Yeah i am a modern gamer, but for some reason i love these type of games, i really liked the older pokemons like red and blue, never cared for later ones, and really liked golden sun.

But yeah, i would of gotten Iv or Vi, if only i did not read on reviews its rather easy, kind of a let down, but i will probably also get nes version just to collect it, flea markets usually have nes games cheap, glad i still have a nes in mint condition =) and snes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you like playing Dragon Warrior, then you will kind of know what to expect from FFI. It kind of works on the same principles of reaching a new town, and then grinding to get all the new gear, because without it, you will be utterly destroyed in the next area.

IV is pretty difficult actually, at least if your playing the Chronicles version (PS1) or DS version. It's debatably the hardest game in the series next to FFIII. VI is easy to moderate, it gets a boost in difficulty about halfway through the game,but it really comes down to how much you grind. If you don't bother grinding, the game can actually be pretty challenging. It also helps if you forgo using certain members like the Figaro Bros. who just have abusive move sets, but even then, if you don't grind, even they tend to fall behind in being dominating forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    If you like playing Dragon Warrior, then you will kind of know what to expect from FFI. It kind of works on the same principles of reaching a new town, and then grinding to get all the new gear, because without it, you will be utterly destroyed in the next area.

IV is pretty difficult actually, at least if your playing the Chronicles version (PS1) or DS version. It's debatably the hardest game in the series next to FFIII. VI is easy to moderate, it gets a boost in difficulty about halfway through the game,but it really comes down to how much you grind. If you don't bother grinding, the game can actually be pretty challenging. It also helps if you forgo using certain members like the Figaro Bros. who just have abusive move sets, but even then, if you don't grind, even they tend to fall behind in being dominating forces.
    When i say iv i meant II for the snes, and i have read like 4 to 5 reviews saying it is easy to moderate. Not sure if we are talking about the same one though.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

When FF4 was released as FF2 for the North American audience they also made it considerably easier.

I'm also going to disagree with WK and say that FF1 on FFOrigins is more difficult than FF3DS or FF4DS.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Blog Entries

Final Fantasy II for the SNES is way too easy. The only good thing about playing that version is the hilarious translation. It's absolutely heinous.

The Final Fantasy IV hardtype in Chronicles is a great play. It's considerably harder than most Final Fantasy titles and it's a classic. One of the finest plateaus established of side-view battle era games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    When FF4 was released as FF2 for the North American audience they also made it considerably easier.

I'm also going to disagree with WK and say that FF1 on FFOrigins is more difficult than FF3DS or FF4DS.
    I disagree, cause as I said, once you get past Marilith and start getting access to the class change and items that give you free healing/buffing, not to mention the fact that most of the buff/debuffs actually work, FFI on Origins actually gets easier. Kraken, Tiamat, and Chaos are not terribly difficult when you can have your Ninja or Black Mage buff your Monk and Warrior to do ridiculous amounts of damage and kill him in a few rounds.

At least in FFIVDS, Golbez, CPU, and just about every normal creature in the Lunar Core are actually challenging and can waltz over a party expecting the original games difficulty. Hell, Lugae in his cyborg form with all his goddamn status changes like Reverse make that fight way more frustrating than anything FFI could throw at you. FFI is mainly a grindfest until about halfway through the game then it gets manageable.

I also didn't say FFIIIDS, though the games final boss run in the World of Darkness is challenging for an unprepared party. Rather I meant the original FFIII where victory is nigh impossible without either the right classes being used, or some serious level grinding. The DS version was nerfed when they downgraded the amount of enemies on field to four instead of the original games nine. Those multiplying enemies are mean and very prevalent for the end game.

For me, FFIII on the NES was more difficult than FF II and FF I (Origins, Normal difficulty), the Cave of Shadows was a nightmare and the final boss.... try it without ninjas or sages, I did and the battle was won purely by luck.
    FF IV Chronicles version was really tough too, but if you grind enough(like I did in the final dungeon), it was a cakewalk. As a matter of fact, some bosses in the final dungeon couldn't be beat if you weren't high enough level.

EDIT: You should try FF V too, some of the bosses are really challenging.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

As far as the original topic goes, either FFI difficulty isn't hard. If you are looking for a challenge, stick to the original mode. Be to turn off the option that has the party auto target the next enemy if the one they have in their sights is already selected. It may seem like a pain, but it adds to the planning and strategy in battle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    As far as the original topic goes, either FFI difficulty isn't hard. If you are looking for a challenge, stick to the original mode. Be to turn off the option that has the party auto target the next enemy if the one they have in their sights is already selected. It may seem like a pain, but it adds to the planning and strategy in battle.
    ^

I hate when it is referred to as a "bug".

Okay, here's the simple version:

FF Origins has two difficulty settings. "Normal" has the exact same difficulty as the NES version. Items cost the same amount of Gil, and the amount of maximum spell charges per spell level is 9. "Easy" basically cuts the price of every item, and your spell capacity increases. A lot.

There are exceptions difficulty-wise: auto-targeting (which can be turned off) and the ability to use Life, Life2 and Stona in battle (which can be turned off.)

The two major things in Origins that cannot be just like the original: inventory management (the original let you carry four pieces of armour and four weapons per character; Origins puts them in with your items and you can carry every item in the game this way, which significantly reduces difficulty) and this little quicksave feature that allows you to temporarily save the game anywhere.

And here's the summary of that:

Summary

Choose Normal difficulty, switch off auto-targeting, and switch off the "Battle support" option. Aside from what you can't change it will be almost exactly like the NES version challenge-wise. Don't abuse the quicksave, and count your blessings on the new inventory system. Enjoy.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 06-24-2012 at 02:31 AM.