Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic films you enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    But anyway, if you mean films from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, then sure I do like prehistoric films. >=p
    The term you're looking for is Silver Age for that period. If you want to watch even older films, we'd end in the Golden Age of Cinema (a fine age... there's such a charm in the GA films although Silver and Bronze Age have produced fine films too).

Anyway, I enjoy many "old" films. There are a lot of enjoyable classics out there like Waterloo Bridge, Gone with the Wind, Nosferatu, Anatomy of a Murder, Red River, The Big Country, East of Eden, Shane, On the Waterfront, Chaplin's and Keaton's films among other things. Lots of quality stuff to choose from.

I personally think many of the actors in classic films could find work in today's Hollywood. Just look at George Sanders in Man Hunt (1940s version), for instance; he'd be right at home in today's thrillers with his charisma and screen presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    To Kill a Mocking Bird with Gregory Peck. Also love the book.
    I was mildly disappointed when I saw it; I guess it was because I read the novel which was superior (the film had to drop a lot of interesting subplots to only have the essential stuff). It's a fine film as it is, however, and Elmer Bernstein's music really captures the innocence, darker undertnes and inherent bittersweet quality of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouded Sky View Post
    Humphrey Bogart is a BAMF. Seriously. Rewatched Casablanca last night, and it really is an extraordinary film! If you haven't seen it, go check it out.
    If you're a fan, check out the Caine Mutiny. It's a very interesting, thought-provoking film for Bogart with an enjoyable plot.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched Bringing Up Baby for the first time the other day. I absolutely adore Cary Grant - he and Katherine Hepburn fit so well together.

I'd have to say that I prefer Golden/Silver Age films much more to modern films. Need to watch more, though!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched Bringing Up Baby for the first time the other day. I absolutely adore Cary Grant - he and Katherine Hepburn fit so well together.

Aside from that, Arsenic and Old Lace, It's A Wonderful Life, On the Waterfront, Paper Moon and Gone With The Wind are a few more that I really love. Also, old terrible horror movies.

I'd have to say that I prefer Golden/Silver Age films much more to modern films. Need to watch more, though!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ah i loved arsenic and old lace

ps should i see the african queen today?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm so glad! It makes me laugh so hard. Carey Grant is a genius.

Answer: Yes, you should.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The African Queen is a fantastic film.

It was one of my Dad's favourites.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Chaplin and Keaton, but if you look at films from Harold Llyod he was a better entertainer. Physically he was very strong and could pull off most stunts that Chaplin and Keaton would never dare to with just one hand. Still prefer Chaplin movies overall though.

Also love the movie Network. The dialogue was a bit absurd though. There were several huge ass words that people never say in casual conversation that really threw me off, but the acting really set the bar.