Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Gaming competition: Late? No silly, I'm not pregnant.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default June Gaming competition: Late? No silly, I'm not pregnant.

Ciddies are done, so what the hell, we'll have a short competition to cap off the month. This month, we're going to tackle:

DOOM

The rules are simple: Play through the first level on the default difficulty, Hurt Me Plenty, and the fastest time with 100% enemies killed and 100% secrets wins. I never liked getting 100% items in levels though so smurf it.

This one will be quick like I said. Submissions will be cut off as of 7PM EST this Friday so I can announce the winners and the standings so far that night, since I'll be away all weekend and it won't happen otherwise.

Finally, I'm taking suggestions for July's competition. Have a game you want to play next month? Speak up or be stuck with whatever I horrors I decide to unleash upon you all.
    Last edited by Slothy; 06-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.

I smurfing love No Hotlink. Best game ever.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I may or may not get in on this one. Depends on how much time I have/if I feel like it!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I want to participate so hard.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I smurfing love No Hotlink. Best game ever.
    Fixed in the laziest way possible.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I am SO in on this.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

how do you make teh elevator come down? the only thing i;ve been able to do is go out to the first room and come back... which takes a lot of time

edit new time

edit 2:

forgot you can run :S
    Last edited by krissy; 06-23-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My second attempt to get the hang of things. A lot more efficiency to be gained here though.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Nice times guys. Man, if I do this, I have to step up!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Attempt I don't know what. It took a near flawless run to squeek out that extra second.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

we have a lot of things going on at the same time, this, tourney of heroes, mafia.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

omg

vivi WHY

ps are we using only keyboard or are you using mouse?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just use keyboard. I don't like the mouse since it controls forward and back which I'm already doing on the keyboard. Plus I played through a few times on my netbook while travelling for work in the last few years so I'm used to having no mouse.

If it makes you feel better though, my near flawless run wasn't really. There's still room for improvement, but it'll take a lot of practice for me to top it.

EDIT:

Ok, so I thought it would take more practice than it did for me to beat my last time but I stumbled on an optimization that shaved an easy 3 seconds off my previous time even with somewhat sloppy runs. After a few tries I managed to squeek it down to 44 seconds. I'm still not sure exactly why it works either.

I'd be happy to try and explain my route if anyone wants to try and beat me.
    Last edited by Slothy; 06-27-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

don't think i'll be able to but sure!

i go into the snake path room just killing guys with hand gun and then hit the secret door for the count, then back to the corridor for the final door behind which a monster and barrel await,

once dealt with return to now lowered shotty hiding spot, use shotty on other monster, run to corner of snake room to lower elevator, run to elevator and run through the hidden path and then to the exit

my biggest issue so far is getting the aim right when spinning, i keep hitting walls

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My general path is quite a bit different. From the start I head to the room on the left, flip the switch then run for the wall that lowers in the main room leading to the blue armour. I head straight for the tunnel leading to the end of the level, open the fake wall and immediately turn and open the door leading to the Imp and barrel by the exit.

I sprint past the Imp, usually turn around by the door (I'm not sure how far in you have to go to lower the entrance to the shotgun) and sprint back out and make a break for the shotgun. It's worth mentioning that until this point I haven't killed anything. Once I have the shotgun, I run back a bit, kill the imp and both zombies in the room with toxic sludge then sprint backwards and climb on the now lowered elevator. I'm not sure what lowers it when I do this. It might be the zombie at the entrance to the room. If the elevator doesn't lower just restart. Once it raises up I run through the tunnel, sprint to the room with the two zombies in an alcove, one shot them with the shotgun, then sprint back. I kill the last Imp on the way, preferably without stopping, and just keep going for the exit.

I think it might be possible to shave a bit more time based on knowing how far I need to go into certain rooms to access secrets, turning more efficiently, etc. And keep in mind that some of how fast this route is is luck with monster pathing and AI. Sometimes they get really out of position and throw the whole rhythm off. The first time I stumbled on this I got 45 seconds, then I was getting 46-53 for the next dozen tries or so before I finally shaved off the extra second.

And watch out for the light on the right when you go for the switch at the start. I've gotten stuck on it so many times it's not funny.