Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 12345678910142454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 English Football Season

Blog Entries

Default poasting b4 lock

This year, Rocket Edge. This year.

there was a picture here

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

So it's been overshadowed by the Olympics (and a lot of amusingly sanctimonious 'why can't big bad footballers be more like the people at the Olympics' articles), but the season begins next weekend. Let nine months of depressing moments and watching Man City cruise to the title commence!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

If you think city will cruise to the title you're an idiot. They won the last one on goal difference and have not suitably strengthened in the summer. It's very difficult to win it twice in a row.

In saying that, United worry me greatly. We were terrible last year & we've not strengthened at all. Getting outbid for all our targets is, if nothing else, embarrasing for a club like us & the more Sir Alex defends those money grabbing Leech Americans strangling our club the less I respect him.

We need another midfielder and we are no closer to getting one than we were in June. I'd be happy with 3rd this year

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

OK, firstly my comment about Man City wasn't especially serious. But you criticise me for it, and then say you'd be happy with third for Man Utd, who are surely Man City's only real contenders. I can't see Chelsea challenging seeing as they've kept a manager solely on the basis of a jammy European Cup run.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

City haven't really strengthened yet (unless you count Jack Rodwell) but I don't think they have many weak areas anyway. Winning that first title is the hardest after such a long time. I remember Utds in 1993 after 26 years. Look at the years following that?

I can see a period of City dominance in the coming years. Let's face it, apart from Utd (Chelsea will again be off the pace) there is no-one who can compete. Utd's run-in will be their undoing though.

My prediction: City will have the title sewn up with two games to spare.

Unless City build from the youth up, they won't dominate for long. They'll be the new Chelsea. Ruled for a couple seasons then everyone catches up once they fail to rebuild. You can't keep buying success you need to build from within. Personallt I hope the Arab Dawn destroys the Dubai millionaires fortunes but that may be wishful thinking.

It seems like nearly every team is filled with uncertainty going in to the opening weekend! Will RVP go to United? Or stay at Arsenal? What about Modric? Or Carroll? I feel like a lot of these dramas will play out right until the end of the month, leaving a very up in the air start to the season.

Some Predictions, Which Are Highly Likely To Change Based On Transfers:

1. Man City to win the league again, though as others have pointed out, their window could be small as they have a very weak youth program and just buying players up won't work forever with some tougher financial rules looming. Still, I think they are about the most complete team in the league with plenty of options in front, a great midfield and a strong backline. Granted, an injury to Kompany or Lescott could complicate things. Hope they don't take Agger away!

2. A Real dogfight for second place between Man U and Chelsea. If United do get RVP, I think they can take second but I am very interested to see how he plays on a team where he isn't the out and out top option. He has been known to be a diva at times and I wonder how that plays out. Plus, everyone seems to assume he can only go down from last year. I love Kawaga and think he'll be a big star this year.

3. Chelsea look solid everywhere but up front. I think Torres will play better but they have so many attacking options on the wings and in midfield, I wonder if he gets lost in the fold and once again finds himself replaced by a False 9 sort of formation. Mata is a wonderfully talented player and so is Hazard, though he clearly thinks he is the next Ronaldo. I am looking forward to someone kicking him hard in a game.

4. I am tempted to tap Liverpool for 4th here, especially if they do sign a Gaston Ramirez and/or Dempsey. However, my gut says they just miss out and get 5th place. That means, Arsenal pull another magic act and stay in Champions League football. Absolutely stealing Santi Cazorla may be the move of the off-season and I am a big fan of Podolski. Still, if RVP stays that may make for a very awkward couple of months. I think Wenger pulls it together by the end of the season, though I could be quite mistaken.

5. Liverpool on a bit of the comeback trail here. I think Gerrard-Suarez will be a lethal combo this season. If both stay healthy and out of trouble, they can be a real handful. Having Lucas and Joe Allen to tidy up the midfield will allow Gerrard to play further forward, which given his age and injury history, is probably the best option. I like Borini a lot and am very happy to see Andy Carroll trying to force his way on the side. One more winger, be it Ramirez, Johnson or Dempsey would be great as would holding on to Agger. I also think Sterling could be tapped for big things which is why I'm not keen on taking Theo Walcott. Sterling gives us everything he would at a fraction of the price. A real tough start to the year but if we can come through with some points, I think Rodgers can make us a consistent side, which is what killed us last year. Beat the team we're better then and play well against clubs that finished above us and this could be a much more satisfying season.

6. Spurs are a mystery to me. Will they keep Modric? Who is their first choice striker? All of this unease makes me think they will regress just a bit. Bale and Van Der Vaart are excellent and I think their defense is solid but they are a weird copy of Chelsea's unsettled striker drama but with not nearly the world class talent.

So, to Recap:

Man City
    Man Utd (If they get a striker like RVP)
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Newcastle
    Everton

Top Scorer: Aguero of Man City
    Darkhorse: Podolski of Arsenal

All subject to change based on how August plays out!

Take care all.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    They'll be the new Chelsea. Ruled for a couple seasons then everyone catches up once they fail to rebuild. You can't keep buying success
    well

uh

i don't know if you've heard of a little something called "The Champions League", or indeed "The FA Cup" but, well...

predictions:

1. United
    2. City
    3. Spurs
    4. Chelsea
    5. Arsenal
    6. Everton
    7. Liverpool
    8. Newcastle

Swansea and West Brom to surprise, West Ham and Stoke to play troutty football and not do anything of any value, Reading, Norwich and QPR for the drop!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

My predictions for the coming season (considering teams stay injury free):

1-2. Manchester United/City - My heart says Man United but it could be City's either. There's two ways to look at both teams. Firstly, if United didn't shoot themselves in the foot last season they would probably have won the title handsomely. City on the other hand I expect them to be stronger this season than last.

3. Arsenal - Depends on if they keep RVP but I think they will have a great season. Podolski & Cazorla are fantastic signings. I believe they need to change their defensive tactics as they leak too much goals. Individually at the back they are solid in my eyes. Wilshire back is a big plus. Walcott to have his best season.

4-5. Chelsea/Liverpool - Liverpool are a real shot in the dark. I expect them to do well under Rodgers though. He is all about possession football & creative play, which I think will really suit Liverpool. Chelsea are fantastic going forward but I worry about them defensively. Liverpool could end up surprising a lot of people this season.

6. Spurs - I'm interested to see how AVB will do. Doesn't bode too well after his stint at Chelsea.

7. Newcastle

I expect Sunderland, Aston Villa, & West Ham to have good seasons.

Articles

I don't think United or City have really strengthened that much - yet. City still have a gap in their defence if something happens to Lescott or Company, and United need Roy Keane or Paul Scholes to lose 10 years...or Yaya Toure and a new LB. These were key weaknesses for them last season and I don't get it. Meanwhile Arsenal and Chelsea have both really bulked up, so the gap between them will close - although bedding in takes time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

United have strengthened when compared to last season. Both Vidic and Fletch have returned to matches after returning to training. Kagawa took the Bundesliga by storm for two seasons and that's the third best league in the world and arguably the most similar to England's style of the 'big four' leagues. Just because he's not Messi or Ronaldo doesn't mean it's not a significant purchase, and he's already scored in a couple of pre-season games so he seems to be adapting fairly well - hopefully that can continue through to the more serious games out there. Powell is there, too, but I don't know much about him in all honesty.

I think we'll get top two again, not sure which position, it's too close to call these days. I think the biggest things that can happen to damage City's hopes of another title will all come from within. I do find it very interesting how quickly they have shut down their finances, presumably to keep in line with UEFA FFP. They still need to save more money than they spend over the next few seasons, unless they can come up with a few loopholes (which wouldn't be surprising for any large club) or UEFA just don't pull through with their threats (also wouldn't be surprising).

Not all that worried about RVP, but if we get him, great. I just feel that it would be a shame for Chicharito and Welbeck as they would have a hard time getting games at that point, and they both deserve games. I'd much rather we strengthen our defence than strengthen our attack.

Arsenal will not depend on RVP because you don't depend on keeping one person - he could spend the season injured, let's not forget that. They've strengthened in attack once more, but until Wenger can find the right people for the midfield and defence they'll continue to sit around the likes of Liverpool and Spurs, fighting for that fourth CL spot. The third going to Chelsea who have made significant additions to their squad - I feel that Hazard and Oscar are significant purchases and Hazard in particular I can see becoming a great, great player for them. There's a lot of hype and he could flop, but I feel he will remain the biggest signing of the summer throughout Europe when it comes to potential. Delighted that the signing is for the Premier League rather than La Liga.

Spurs and Liverpool I feel are still going to be a Europa level, with Spurs perhaps being able to sneak ahead of Arsenal.

Should be a great season.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Well, for a moment, I thought Liverpool had a real coup and had both Tello and Sahin signed up, but it looks like we may just get one out of the two. Still, not bad at all. Just sign up a winger, keep Agger and I think we are ready to rumble this season.

Take care all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

WE HAVE GOTTEN RVP (subject to a medical and all that but YES!)

Articles

Now that will improve United. And they have the likes of Welbeck and Chicharito to rotate in so he doesn't break down in an injury ridden heap.

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

A team who hasn't won anything in six years and I've seen fans get all abusive towards a player wanting to leave? Van Persie made the right choice to go to united and won't be shocked if he helps them take the title back this season
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292