Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011152555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 English Football Season

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Holland are playing Italy in a friendly later this year, so obviously Van Persie will be out for most of the season!

£24 million is a good price, he obviously doesn't want to stay so we're best off selling.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We had no trouble scoring last season and I still think RVP, while a fantastic aquisition, is an aquisition in the position we need least strengthening (outside of central defence, anyway). If we don't sign a left-back soon I'm gonna be pretty miffed.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

Have to think where will he fit in the team? He could either be a really good partnership With Rooney, or their ego's could clash and could all go tits up
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Man United are basically subscribing to the "you score 4 and we'll score 5!" principle. I thought Liverpool would subscribe to this idea last season, though, and that amounted to "you score 0, we'll hit the post 3 times" so who knows

Incidentally has Berbatov found a club yet? If not, we'll smurfing have him!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Berbatov is rumoured to be heading to Zenit St. Petersburg, but I've not heard of any developments in recent times. I wouldn't be surprised to see him and another striker heading out the door, considering we've also signed an 18 year old Henriquez who is supposedly the bees knees when it comes to playing Chicharito-style football. So that's Rooney, Van Persie, Welbeck, Hernandez, Berbatov, Henriquez, Macheda, Keane. Erm :S

Meanwhile, at left back: Evra, Fabio (oh wait, he's on loan) and, uh, Evans, who is about as much a left-back as Giggs is a striker.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I agree. Left back is something we should have been putting as first priority. It's almost as if Fergie is thinking 'well he has played every game for the last few seasons, no need to worry about that position'. Although I greatly admire RVP, I do worry where all of the players will fit in. I expect Rooney to play as second striker with Kagawa not too far off him. I'm interested to see how he will accompany our wingers in as well. Valencia was probably out best player last season, I can't see Young or Nani starting ahead of him, unless they slot him into right back which I think we don't get much use out of him.

All said, I'm delighted we have Van Persie on the basis of he brings something to us we haven't really had before. I think I said it before in the football thread months back that I think he is the best genuine centre forward in the world. I can see him being effective for years because he doesn't rely on his pace too much like an Henry or someone. I don't even mind we payed the 24mill for him as a player of his stature on a free would have every club in the world snapping at Arsenals feet.

Should be a great season!

Looks like we got our winger! Sort of. Still hoping we sign Sahin. Then, I think Rodgers may play a bit tricky and push Gerrard up further to the attacking 3 in his 4-3-3 formation. A Lucas/Allen/Sahin middle with Borini/Gerrard/Suarez up front would be mighty interesting. Plus, it would send Downing to the bench. At least we'd finally have actual depth in the midfield as opposed to just bodies. Speaking of:

Can I interest anyone in Charlie Adam or Joe Cole? Anyone? Both have barely been touched and may still have their packing labels on them!

I actually think the fight for 4th may be within reach now. I'm not sure if Arsenal will be as good without RVP, though they always surprise. I could see them and Liverpool fighting it out all season. The top 3 look pretty secure.

Man U look like they are going to go all out this year. What a crazy amount of strikers they have! For all United fans, a question: If you reclaim the title this year, do you think Alex retires?

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

That depends on his health. He's said time and time again that this is the only reason he will retire: If he's no longer fit for the job (in either sense).

We have attacking footballers coming out our ears at the moment and I'm honestly starting to wonder if SAF is considering switching to a 3-4-3. It's insane.

He might retire if he bags a third European Cup, putting him level with Bob Paisley (the only manager to win three).

Blog Entries

Spoilers: It's all part of the master plan. Fergie sees that there has been a sea change in Europe over the past few years towards high octane attacking football, and it's been working. Barcelona have been nigh invincible packing their team with attacking players, and their defence is pretty average. The same goes for Real Madrid. Man Utd lost the title in the last minute of the season on goal difference with not much to speak of in defence for the majority of the season. You could even say that Blackpool had some success with the attacking football that they played a few years ago.

tl;dr defenders no longer needed

there was a picture here

Nah, in the Premier League, the US sports adage is true, defence still wins championships. It's just the last few years there's been least worst defences rather than best defences at times.

Articles

rodgers out

laudrup in

King Kenny: Not as tit as the media would have you believe. At least his teams could hit the post.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Jesus christ what is going on xD Swansea. Hilarity.

Articles

With each new manager Swansea get better and better.

...with each new manager Liverpool get worse and worse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ah, the snap judgments are cracking out after one game. All is normal in the footballing world.