Thread: True emotional investment

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I just remembered that I got pretty attached to some of my WoW characters. I gave all of them personalities and little backstories and such, even if I never RP'd with them.

Urge... to re-sub... rising... must... suppress....

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just remembered that I got pretty attached to some of my WoW characters. I gave all of them personalities and little backstories and such, even if I never RP'd with them.

pandaspandaspandaspandas
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post

pandaspandaspandaspandas
    That actually encourages me NOT to resub because BURNING CRUSADE IS DEAD MAN, IT'S NEVER COMING BACK *sobs*

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post

pandaspandaspandaspandas

Deerhoof - Panda - YouTube
    This was mandatory.

I actually get emotionally invested fairly easily in video games. The Lone Wanderer from Fallout 3 was probably the worst, because I didn't feel like I was playing a character. I took everything that happened very personally. I was COMPELLED to be the good guy all the time because it was genuinely upsetting to me when someone made derisive comments towards me. Dogmeat was arguably worse though. Can't even count the number of times I reloaded because Dogmeat died trying to save me from some unseen mirelurk. I loved that little guy. I also got really attached to The Prince in Prince of Persia (2008). It was one of the more well done relationships in a game in my opinion, and having the ability to randomly initiate legitimate chit-chat in the middle of regular gameplay went a long way towards building that feeling. It was rather novel to think "I wonder what Elika's thinking about?" and not only be able to ask her, but get genuine response back instead of just mission hints or something. Still begging for a sequel that will probably never happen.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhandiOwnsYou View Post
    I also got really attached to The Prince in Prince of Persia (2008). It was one of the more well done relationships in a game in my opinion, and having the ability to randomly initiate legitimate chit-chat in the middle of regular gameplay went a long way towards building that feeling. It was rather novel to think "I wonder what Elika's thinking about?" and not only be able to ask her, but get genuine response back instead of just mission hints or something. Still begging for a sequel that will probably never happen.
    yup yup
    great character development and banter
    and frankly i thought that ending was really well done story-wise, even though it was a setup for a sequel that'll never happen

shame the expansion was a piece of crap in terms of story (ie nothing happened) (i watched it on youtube)

Most of the characters in the Golden Sun series, especially Isaac and Jenna. That game hit me incredibly deeply, and even yesterday, I was going through the soundtrack, and just hearing some of those songs bring back vivid enough memories that I was tearing up a little.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I rarely develop real long term attachment to characters, but the few I really enjoyed have been Solid Snake, Big Boss, and Ezio Auditore mostly because we really watch their lives unfold and I must say I like a sequel showing older versions of characters getting on in years. The scenes with a 80 year Altair in Revelations are quite well done from both a story and gameplay standpoint.

From Final Fantasy, there are a few like Vivi who really stand out. I also have to bro-fist Del and say that Crono has always been a character I've been really attached to. I think his death midway through the game really cemented those feelings, but he also just has some funny quirks that keep him from being a total blank slate character.

Speaking of which, the MC of Persona 3 is someone I also grew really attached to, which is what made playing through The Answer so powerful because I was kind of in the same emotional state as the rest of the cast concerning the ending of P3. Elizabeth was also a character I really grew attached to thanks to the addition of her "dates" side mission. The last date in particular kind of blew my mind tbh... Honestly, in terms of writing good characters, I feel Persona has found a really good means of immersing the player and getting them attached to the characters. It's difficult not to form a bond when the game kind of pseudo-similates every day life with them.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I forgot to mention that I get relatively attached to the "characters" in Crusader Kings 2. It always gives me a bit of a shock when one dies and I have to pass the dynasty on to the next "me".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I forgot to mention that I get relatively attached to the "characters" in Crusader Kings 2. It always gives me a bit of a shock when one dies and I have to pass the dynasty on to the next "me".
    Not gonna lie, that sounds really fun. Are there a lot of strategy games that do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Crusader Kings series is the big one that focuses on dynasties more than countries. There's a Game of Thrones mod, too, which is rather popular!

I'm another one who mostly becomes attached to their MMO characters. I guess it's all the shaping and molding of the character over umpteen levels and how they are much more being treated as the player's personal avatar that makes it this way for me. While I don't play the genre all that much any more, I still have fond memories of all my WoW and FFXI characters.