Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default MAKING games!

We all like to play games, but have you ever tried to make one? The most extensive experience I have with making vidya are a.) really old RPG Maker stuff back in the day, b.) Starcraft custom maps (also from back in the day), and c.) Making derpy choose-your-own-adventure text games on the graphing calculators during math class in high school.

But man, I wish I knew more about programming or even how to use GameMaker or something. I want to remake old 80s games.

Have any of you guys made a game?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Made a bunch of really crappy little things in GameMaker for classes. Nothing with any substance unfortunately. Had a tiny bit of experience with Dark BASIC and Visual BASIC as well but hardly have the skills to make a game. Writing one for someone else to make is as likely as I will ever come to being a games dev.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i made a few unity 3d games for work although most of them only got to the concept demo stage. got them to work with a ps3 controller in various ways, and other motion controls too. unity 3d is a great engine, i really like it.

i've also done some work on 2d flash games but that was mostly for fun

here's wesly's birthday game!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15079479/Wes...0Adventure.swf

For over a year now I've been working on a mapping project for an old half-life mod (an RPG, in fact). I basically have 3 maps completed and one final one on the way. Here are some screenshot from the first map I ever made. It looks rather nice, imo, for a first ever attempt but if you saw the amateur job I did within the mapping utility itself you'd cry.

I've also, rather predictably, composed for games (mainly this one) and will be composing a few tracks for this series I am making.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I once made the Battle Of Helm's Deep from LOTR the Two Towers in Age Of Empires II using the custom scenario maker. It took ages to rename all the unit types & adding ambient events. It played like a rpg/rts because if you were using the individual heros, they got stronger the more units they killed or you could control the Elven army or the human army. Thinking back I spent a lot of hours messing about with the scenario maker!

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I'm going to just post in this thread so that those who know why, will know why. Oh, EoFF: A Tragedy... the true tragedy is that I never finished it.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I once made a 2 minute RPG in the PlayStation version of RPG maker where my dad was a giant whale who was mad because he had a bad bowling night. I was the player character that had to fight him when he got home.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was working on a strategy game a while back but last year my partner in crime moved to the other side of the country. That kind of put things on hold since he was playtesting it with me and helping me design new systems in the game and playtest game balance, plus he was the one who actually knew how to program. The worst part was that shortly before he left I concluded it wasn't going in a direction I was totally happy with balance wise so I was working on a complete overhaul of the game.

Now that he won't be back for at least another year, possibly more/never, I've started to teach myself C so I can at least have a solid background in programming and then I plan to either learn an engine or make my own 2D engine. I'll probably go with Gamemaker though since that seems simpler to start out and anything 3D is out since I know nothing about making 3D models and textures. I've got a number of ideas for the strategy game, a sim, a fighting game, and a horror game rattling around in my brain at the moment, so I'm hoping by January I can be ready to start working on the horror game. I'd have to be crazy to try any of the others as my first game by myself because they're just too big/complex to handle without constant play testing and while trying to learn.
    Last edited by Slothy; 06-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Blog Entries

I wrote a command-line car racing game in my first year at university. It was horrible.

there was a picture here

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

A couple, yeah. Here's one of them.

I also made an RPG with RPG Toolkit when I was in school featuring some school chums, oh yes. It was set on Halloween and I guess there was a town to explore with subquests and what not, and you could go trick or treating or egg houses or what have you. It even had secret unlockable characters! My friends thought it was the tit. That did not take me 5 years or however the smurf long it took, that one took a couple of weeks when I was off with terrible stomach migraines and needed a distraction. I wish I still had a copy.

And I've kind of been fleshing out ideas based on this but I make no promises or anything, I am too lazy to do an entire game by myself these days. Hit me up if you want to do 90% of the work while I point and gesticulate. Actually if someone could just design me a huge town map or something based on EoFF with cool places to go and explore and have shenanigans, I'd be ok. I hate designing maps!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've taken a little programming, enough to know I'm pretty lousy at it. I did design a game for the original RPG maker on PS1 but the game started to get too big and god knows I was having issues with organizing the event switches. I might take another shot at it since I can now use the PS3's memory to make the game large without as much worry. I also recently picked up RPG maker 2 on PS2 but not sure when I'll get around to that. Once I get my new PC, maybe I will pick up the new version of the PC RPG maker because a keyboard will make the game so much easier, not to mention they have better tools for making combat systems which was my main gripe with the original RPG Maker.

I have designs for several games, including a Zombie shooter that would be aimed as a simple iOS title, a couple of full fledged RPGs, and a 2D fighting game. I was also working on a project with another EoFFer but we keep losing interest in communicating with each other.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All I'm getting from this thread is that EOFF needs to develop some games.

A friend and I made a serious effort towards making a PBBG but we failed to find and artist that meshed well with the style that we were going for and had to stop it. We put about a year and a half of work into it, so it kind of sucks, but without art the style of game we were going for would not have been successful.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    All I'm getting from this thread is that EOFF needs to develop some games.
    Let's do it.