Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good places to farm ABP early on?

Blog Entries

Default Good places to farm ABP early on?

So here's the deal. I feel incomplete if I switch from one class to another before I master it. I just got the second crystal and I want to do some job switches, darn it! But first I need some ABP so I can master them jobs, ya dig!? So, y'gonna help me get hooked up with some ABP or what?

(What I mean is, is there a good grinding spot in world one for ABP? Should I wait until I get a bit further before grinding?)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jachol Cave, you can encounter an enemy called Skull Eater that gives 5ABP per kill. The problem is, that they can be difficult to kill in World 1. Berserkers with the Death Scythe, Geomancer's Gaia, Beastmaster's Control, Ranger's Aim and the Ninja Throw can defeat it pretty easy but any job from the first two crystals will not be able to work too well. The enemy is also pretty strong and can make short work of a party unprepared.
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 06-28-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Gave the incorrect amount of APB.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

anywhere with nutkin, they are worth 2 each.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Wasn't there some place that spawned little black swirly-looking things that gave at least 5 ABP if you found a group of them?

(Sorry for such a bad description, it's been years since I played FFV.)

Blog Entries

Okay, so the Jachol Cave is pretty great. lol Nutkins everywhere, and almost every time I see a Skull Eater it flees and I get 5 ABP. Thanks guys!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I recently started to play through this again and I was asking the same question to myself. So I also thank you guys!

Dang it, now I too am inspired to start this game over. Now which version...

There exists a modified version of the GBA game that tweaks the job system a significant amount. It actually encourages you to master jobs, because any stat boosts you get from those jobs become permanently attached to your character, even after you switch. I'm going to try that eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    There exists a modified version of the GBA game that tweaks the job system a significant amount. It actually encourages you to master jobs, because any stat boosts you get from those jobs become permanently attached to your character, even after you switch. I'm going to try that eventually.
    Isn't that a standard thing to the Freelancer anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Not that I was aware of. Here, this is the link to the page. It's pretty detailed about what it does. You can read up on it if you like.

JeffLudwig.com | Final Fantasy 5 Advance Custom Classes mod -> Downloads

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    Yes. Also with Mime.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does that not defeat the very purpose of the Freelancer class in the first place? In what universe is this a good idea?

Blog Entries

It is professional Freelancing, not unemployed willinging-to-do-anything freelancing. It is the capital F, man.

Jachol Cave is great for early ABP farming. Later in the game, Val Castle's basement is the place to be. The door is locked, but you can still face encounters in the antechamber area. Just, ah, bring some Softs.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is worth noting, for those playing the GBA version, that you can occasionally encounter groups of 3 nutkins worth 2 ABP each just outside the Wind Shrine. It's the only place before Jacole, when you already have 3 freaking crystals worth of jobs to level, where you can get more than 1 ABP per fight. Sure it's still mostly 1 ABP fights, but early on you should be able to blast through them a lot faster than you would be able to farm ABP anywhere between there and Jacole. Take the time and master a few jobs before heading to Walse, it'll save you effort in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    It is worth noting, for those playing the GBA version, that you can occasionally encounter groups of 3 nutkins worth 2 ABP each just outside the Wind Shrine. It's the only place before Jacole, when you already have 3 freaking crystals worth of jobs to level, where you can get more than 1 ABP per fight. Sure it's still mostly 1 ABP fights, but early on you should be able to blast through them a lot faster than you would be able to farm ABP anywhere between there and Jacole. Take the time and master a few jobs before heading to Walse, it'll save you effort in the long run.
    This isn't true at all. In the ship graveyard, in the lowest level of the ship that held the world map (the one you can enter that was nearest the boss fight against Siren), only three varieties of battle take place. Either two mind flushers and an undead husk which give you one point, three different enemies that give you two points, or quite often you get two undead husks and they give you three points. Further, you can access battles worth three points before you even enter the wind shrine, the battles against two bandersnatches near the torna canal