Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default 4X games are fun!

Let's talk about the genre known as 4X! Turn-based strategy where you build and expand! Civ is the most famous 4X but there are lots of others. I am currently rather enjoying Endless Space. What about you guys?

I grew up on Civ and SMAC. My dad got me Civ IV for Christmas, and after playing through it a couple times, I got nostalgic for SMAC, so I went back to that and discovered I like that one a whole lot better.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have you played Planetfall? It's a mod that SMAC-ifies Civ IV and it's pretty great. (Obviously it doesn't live up to the original SMAC but what does?)

That one comes with the game, right? I got the complete edition of Civ IV that has both expansions and a bunch of mods built-in. I didn't try any of those yet.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

YES 4X IS THE BEST GENRE

CIVILIZATION
    SMAC
    ENDLESS SPACE
    DISTANT WORLDS
    MASTER OF ORION
    GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS
    SPACE EMPIRES
    STARS!
    ASCENDANCY
    FRAGILE ALLEGIANCE
    IMPERIALISM
    HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC
    LEGENDS OF PEGASUS
    STAR RULER

Master of Orion 2.

The best of the genre.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    That one comes with the game, right? I got the complete edition of Civ IV that has both expansions and a bunch of mods built-in. I didn't try any of those yet.
    Nope, you get it separately! http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=252829

Well, if I'm ever inclined to play either Civ or SMAC again, I'll look into it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Maybe I should have checked this thread out before I made the space one. All the ones you named in there are in here! I SEE HOW YOU PEOPLE WORK YOU 4X PUSHERS.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a pretty addictive genre, I actually stopped playing them cause I hated losing my entire day off to playing them and not having accomplished much else. I grew up on Civilization 2 and Colonization.

Yup! 4X games can devour a huge amount of my time because they suck me in so much. I've been playing Endless Space a fair bit, and it's the most fun I've had with a space 4X game since MoO2. I like a lot of the new races that they've added, as it helped to balance out the various species in the game's MOs. I've been enjoying the pilgrims a lot as a fairly research-oriented race, and an alternative to the Sophons. Great game. Also want to put some time into that Warlock game that came out earlier in the year. It looks kinda nice as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hey I'm not sure if these games count, but I just bought this pack off Amazon for $12.49. It's got Victoria II, Sword of the Stars I & II, and Crusader Kings II, which sounded so insane I had to grab it. If any of you guys ever wanna get a little EoFF game night going with any of them, let me know!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Those are Grand Strategy more than 4X but still a very good deal Vicky 2 and CK2 are wonderful.

Hey What type of Games are you Talking about here..I really have not heard about this type of game before but I am taking keen interest in playing This type of game so tell me more about it Guys?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not sure if bot...

Anyways, I'll let Wikipedia do the talking: 4X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipeda
    4X games are a genre of strategy video game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate". The term was first coined by Alan Emrich in his September 1993 preview of Master of Orion for Computer Gaming World. Since then, others have adopted the term to describe games of similar scope and design.

4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy. Games can take a long time to complete since the amount of micromanagement needed to sustain an empire scales as the empire grows. 4X games are sometimes criticized for becoming tedious for these reasons, and several games have attempted to address these concerns by limiting micromanagement with varying degrees of success.