Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, that Ozma

Default Yeah, that Ozma

I found Ozma to be one of the easiest optional bosses in the series, but I still thought it was no pushover. I went after it after one of my friends managed to beat it and started bragging of having done it before me, but whined about what a long and difficult battle it was, having to deal with it using so many Curagas on itself, hitting his party with Curse and so on.

This struck me as a little unfair of him to brag about as I didn't even own the game myself, so I borrowed it from him, played it through, and took on Ozma myself, with a party of Zidane and Freya for damage, and Quina and Amarant for their Auto-Life abilities, as well as their damage-dealing skills being none too shabby.

Despite getting kicked to the curb pretty badly, I only took two actual attempts to beat it, the successful of which only taking two full rounds thanks to me spamming Thievery, Dragon Crest, Frog Drop and No Mercy.

I reckon this boss would've been a lot more challenging if they'd thought to give it a few more HP, but whatever.

Share your Ozma stories, people!

I have beaten it with different party combinations pretty easily. My favourite tactic is equipping everyone with shadow absorbing equipment. Vivi casting Doomsday, Dagger summoning Ark, Zidane stealing and Freya using Dragon's Crest. No heals are needed because Doomsday heals everyone. Sometimes I have to throw a few Remedies, but that's it.
    For me, the strategy for beating the boss is going all out, not wasting time on healing. I maybe a bit wrong, it's been a while since I last played this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think I might've only beat Ozma in 2 tries too. I do remember the team I had was Zidane, Garnet, Quina, and Amarant. I can't remember the roles exactly, but I do remember Amarant's curse helping out greatly. I made him weak to shadow which caused him to hurt himself when he used Doomsday.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

To be honest, I can't remember ever trying Ozma. It's the only thing besides an Excalibur 2 run that i've never done in IX

Blog Entries

I remember the first time I beat Ozma. It was anti-climactic.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Beating Ozma did feel a little anticlimactic because he had been built up to be so tough and I overprepared myself.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Beating Ozma did feel a little anticlimactic because he had been built up to be so tough and I overprepared myself.
    I guess that happened to me too.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I was really disappointed with Ozma, personally. That (useless) strategy guide for the game made him out to be some super out of this world hard boss. I beat him on my first try with ease. He's by far the easiest ultimate boss in the series, for me anyway.

Not the most disappointing though. That goes to the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon in FFX.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember having to properly psych myself up for the fight. I spent ages just standing outside the spot where you meet Ozma, taking deep breaths and picturing how I was going to fight him. He was impressive in that playthrough.

In later playthroughs, however, I've been able to destroy him with very little difficulty, which is a bit of a shame.

I hate everyone who has beaten optional FF bosses...

I can't beat Ruby, Emerald, Omega, Ozma, (there's probably something in X I couldn't beat, though I can't think of it at the moment)...
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This was one of the optional "super bosses" that I have never tried. I don't know, I guess I am just interested in it. After reading this thread, I now less interested in trying it because you guys are all saying how it is anticlimactic and boring!

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I beat Ozma with a party of level-one characters. =D! Most fun Final Fantasy challenge ever.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

How? Why?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    I beat Ozma with a party of level-one characters. =D! Most fun Final Fantasy challenge ever.
    After beating him at level 40-ish, I can't imagine the undertaking this would be.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember reading a guide to do that for fun and a guide to do an insane speedrun to get the Excalibur II. I forget which one said it, but the author of one of the guides said something like, "If you are doing this to have fun, stop now. You will not have fun. You will be miserable."

I shook my head and had a good laugh.