Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: ENDLESS SPACE is getting its own thread now

  1. #1
    (charm)anders was right Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Circle Tower :shifty:
    Posts
    18,596
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

    Chocobo ENDLESS SPACE is getting its own thread now

    Alright buckos, let's talk about Endless Space, because it was officially released today.

    Steam Link: Endless Space on Steam

    ABOUT THE GAME:
    • Turn based strategy 4X (a la Civ)
    • Very much MoO2 and Space Empires inspired
    • Runs on my crappy six year old computer
    • Wonderfully inventive alien races
    • Big ol' tech tree
    • Colonize star systems
    • Upgrade ships
    • Difficult even on easy!


    So basically what I'm saying is that everyone should play it. Especially if you have played and enjoyed Civ/SMAC/MoO/et al. Also, teach me how to become better at it.

  2. #2
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,004
    Articles
    268
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Speaking of MoO2, I tried playing it. IT didn't give me any instructions. I am confused. I don't know what I'm doing. I just keep clicking buttons.

    I want to play Endless Space ever sense you showed me it. Stupid computer. i"m going to try to con someone into getting me a graphics card for my bday so we'll see how that goes.

  3. #3
    (charm)anders was right Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Circle Tower :shifty:
    Posts
    18,596
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Speaking of MoO2, I tried playing it. IT didn't give me any instructions. I am confused. I don't know what I'm doing. I just keep clicking buttons.
    This is basically how you play any 4X until you learn the ropes!

  4. #4
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,508
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Pike, you should be hired by some company that makes strategy games, and just be their advertiser.
    mfw you post

  5. #5
    (charm)anders was right Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Circle Tower :shifty:
    Posts
    18,596
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

    Default

    If I had a nickel for every time someone's bought a strategy game because I won't shut up about it, I'd have... well... I guess a dollar maybe.

  6. #6
    Beautiful Elf Boy Mister Adequate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kirkwall
    Posts
    23,293

    FFXIV Character

    Cadyna Lightpike (Coeurl)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    The custom races option is hilariously broken. I've made a Sophon variant who are even more science-centric and it doesn't matter that I have other weaknesses because holy trout, I can just research my way out of any hole I've dug into.

  7. #7

    Default

    Hurray, the game is officially out and such. I've noticed that the computer controlled species really like to try and isolate me of late. They'll often colonize a star system that is a bottleneck connected to my own territories. It's been leaving me with little choice but to get more aggressive with my expansion in order to beat them to the punch.

  8. #8
    Beautiful Elf Boy Mister Adequate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kirkwall
    Posts
    23,293

    FFXIV Character

    Cadyna Lightpike (Coeurl)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Oh wow scratch my last, you want OP you go Full Horatio. Just made a custom race (called Hobbes ) and their entire schtick was food production, pop cap, and heroes.

    I've never SEEN an empire grow so fast.

  9. #9
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,004
    Articles
    268
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    DAMNIT I want this game. I hate you guys Sedate me with screencaps PLEASE.

  10. #10
    Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    7,920

    Default

    I have seen this game on steam and was interested but I am deep into Civ5 right now and don't really need another one of these right now. Plus I don't really have a great concept of the mechanics of this game as opposed to Civ. Is there stacking? How is diplomacy? It just came out so many of my wonderments have yet to be answered.

  11. #11
    Ogre Araciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Posts
    9,423

    Default

    Oh alright

  12. #12
    Beautiful Elf Boy Mister Adequate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kirkwall
    Posts
    23,293

    FFXIV Character

    Cadyna Lightpike (Coeurl)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I have seen this game on steam and was interested but I am deep into Civ5 right now and don't really need another one of these right now. Plus I don't really have a great concept of the mechanics of this game as opposed to Civ. Is there stacking? How is diplomacy? It just came out so many of my wonderments have yet to be answered.
    Stacking - well you're in space so it's not like there's a limit on room What you do is shove ships into fleets (which can grow larger when you get the right techs) and then the fleets can stack infinitely, but a fleet can only launch one or two attacks per turn (though can defend any number of times).

    Diplomacy is the game's weakest aspect IMO, which is sad because some of the race ideas are smurfing golden. If there was ever a game that would benefit from a GalCiv2-style diplomacy this is it, but sadly everything is very impersonal and superficial.

    (this game is infinitely better than Civ 5 but then unless you plan on getting SotS2 then upon buying any 4X you will probably have a better game than Civ 5)

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    If I had a nickel for every time someone's bought a strategy game because I won't shut up about it, I'd have... well... I guess a dollar maybe.
    When you get a job advertising for a game company make sure you charge more than a nickel for your services.

  14. #14
    (charm)anders was right Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Circle Tower :shifty:
    Posts
    18,596
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

    Default

    Duly noted.

  15. #15
    Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    7,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Stacking - well you're in space so it's not like there's a limit on room What you do is shove ships into fleets (which can grow larger when you get the right techs) and then the fleets can stack infinitely, but a fleet can only launch one or two attacks per turn (though can defend any number of times).

    Diplomacy is the game's weakest aspect IMO, which is sad because some of the race ideas are smurfing golden. If there was ever a game that would benefit from a GalCiv2-style diplomacy this is it, but sadly everything is very impersonal and superficial.

    (this game is infinitely better than Civ 5 but then unless you plan on getting SotS2 then upon buying any 4X you will probably have a better game than Civ 5)
    OOOHhh...how sad that Diplomacy is the weakest part of the game. It is my least favorite aspect of Civ5 as it seems all geared towards screwing you over. *Enter Golden Age* *Moron asks for 75% of gold that you will not be able to pay for 30 turns* *Decline* *Moron holds a grudge for eternity*

    Interesting aspect to stacking. Instead of tons of units on one tile it kind of forms a large scale force.

    I actually enjoy the hell out of Civ5. I am not big into the 4X game sphere in the first place but I know one aspect that many people dislike about Civ5, I greatly enjoy and that is the lack of stacking. While I have not played Civ4 (Come on Steam Sale!) I have played Civ2 to death and despised stacking in that. Like I said though, I am not big into the 4X game world so I am probably coming from a different view point on these games.

    I do hear that Galactic whatever the smurf 2 is going to be onsale in a pack during the Steam Sale though and I plan on picking that up. Who knows how my opinion will change about all of this in time as I delve into other types of 4X games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •