Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ENDLESS SPACE is getting its own thread now

Blog Entries

I thought this was a thread for Infinite Space and then I was sad.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Stacking - well you're in space so it's not like there's a limit on room What you do is shove ships into fleets (which can grow larger when you get the right techs) and then the fleets can stack infinitely, but a fleet can only launch one or two attacks per turn (though can defend any number of times).

Diplomacy is the game's weakest aspect IMO, which is sad because some of the race ideas are smurfing golden. If there was ever a game that would benefit from a GalCiv2-style diplomacy this is it, but sadly everything is very impersonal and superficial.

(this game is infinitely better than Civ 5 but then unless you plan on getting SotS2 then upon buying any 4X you will probably have a better game than Civ 5)
    OOOHhh...how sad that Diplomacy is the weakest part of the game. It is my least favorite aspect of Civ5 as it seems all geared towards screwing you over. *Enter Golden Age* *Moron asks for 75% of gold that you will not be able to pay for 30 turns* *Decline* *Moron holds a grudge for eternity*
    Well with ES it's not really that it's stupid (It's not a genius either but), the diplomacy tends to make sense and it explicitly tells you things like "You're growing really stupidly powerful and people are getting scared" and stuff like that, it's just that it's all impersonal and interchangeable. With the sole exception of the Cravers (because their only diplomacy options are War and Cold War) every race is essentially the same to deal with in diplomacy terms, and it's not that it's bad so much as it's a crying shame because some of the race ideas are so damned good.

I can understand not liking unit stacking especially in civs where doomstacks can reign supreme, but the 1UPT system of Civ 5 just doesn't work in my eyes because the game isn't big enough and you end up with the entire world carpeted in units. Not to mention the 1UPT decision influenced everything else in design terms and this has made it a game I just don't like or enjoy one bit

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Well with ES it's not really that it's stupid (It's not a genius either but), the diplomacy tends to make sense and it explicitly tells you things like "You're growing really stupidly powerful and people are getting scared" and stuff like that, it's just that it's all impersonal and interchangeable. With the sole exception of the Cravers (because their only diplomacy options are War and Cold War) every race is essentially the same to deal with in diplomacy terms, and it's not that it's bad so much as it's a crying shame because some of the race ideas are so damned good.

I can understand not liking unit stacking especially in civs where doomstacks can reign supreme, but the 1UPT system of Civ 5 just doesn't work in my eyes because the game isn't big enough and you end up with the entire world carpeted in units. Not to mention the 1UPT decision influenced everything else in design terms and this has made it a game I just don't like or enjoy one bit
    Thank you for the insights into this game. I think I will pick it up in a couple of weeks after I finish up whatever game of Civ I am in the middle of right now.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to buy this game so I can be cool and make Pike like me more, but I am too poor at the moment.

Soon though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

If I was rich I would buy it for everyone. Sadly, I am not rich.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm bringing this thread back because I was momentarily not poor, then bought this game so I'm poor again. But now I have something to show for it. Only got to play for about 45 minutes last night, which was precisely enough time to decide on a race, research a technology and begin colonizing another star system. I've yet to encounter anyone else, though I did see another ship which turned around and left before it made contact. Kind of funny since I realized after zooming out that my galaxy seems quite small and there are four other AI factions because I wanted to have plenty to conquer. I'm dying to get home tonight and play more even if I still only have the most basic understanding of what the hell I'm doing and am probably playing terribly.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It takes a bit to unravel (as with most new 4X games) but once you do it's solid fun. I just wish there were more races. And bigger playing fields.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just wish there were more races
    You traitor. Sophons4lief
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I just wish there were more races
    You traitor. Sophons4lief
    I need more races to kill.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Where's the fun in genocide if you can't do it over and over again?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Damn you imperial bastards for blowing up one of my ships when I had no idea what was happening!

You can bet I reloaded that save. Is there a way to retreat on my turn if I'm totally outmatched? I couldn't find anything and just kind of got stuck in orbit of one of their planets I stumbled on and got shot to pieces. If not, then I'm just going to stockpile some ships and start researching some heavier weapons.