Thread: Which DLC should I get?

Default Which DLC should I get?

So I just bought this game. Waited for the price to drop and for all of the DLC to be out, like I said I would. Go willpower. I haven't started yet, but I'm already thinking about what DLC to buy.

I'm looking at two Colosseum battles because I want to use those characters in my party. Specifically Jihil Nabaat and Ultros. Are they worth it? Will I get them too late, or are they too titty to be of any use?

The actual DLC episodes are a bit easier to swallow because even if I don't use the characters in my party, I'll still get more gameplay out of them. I like Sazh, so I'll most likely get him. Less sure about Snow. Is his episode worth the $5? It sounds like the Lightning episode is an epilogue, so I'll decide whether or not I want that when I finish the game.

If I buy all of the DLC episodes and those two Colosseum battles, it'll come to $22, which is more than I paid for the game. :P

I'm not even considering the DLC costumes. I very, very rarely spend money on skins. If ever.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just bought? Didn't you win the free copy from this site?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Just bought? Didn't you win the free copy from this site?
    Um, no? Did I? What?

EDIT: Looks like you're confusing me with DMKA. :P

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hahaha, whoops! I get you snarky ex-banned members mixed up sometimes.

As for DLC, I didn't purchase any, but people seemed to like the Lightning/Amodar battle. Some of the other battles seem kind of fun if you like battling (I got Omega free with my game and it was alright). Also Lightning's add-on scenario is supposed to explain the ending better.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The one with Gilgamesh. That arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge is extremely sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    The one with Gilgamesh. That arrangement of Clash on the Big Bridge is extremely sexy.
    Still, the original version is the best.

I'm partial to Lightning's episode, myself. (So I prefer story over a "one-time" arena battle. Sue me.) Sazh's episode was kind of nice, but just seemed bolted on, inventing new... something-or-others. Bleh. I just read stuff, 'k? That said, the fighting in Lightning's episode (Requiem of a Goddess) IS really intense, and challenges your mastery of the battle system itself, rather than making the necessary preparations. Plus, the COM monster (ms L!) you get will TOTALLY obliterate anything and everything you meet in the main game - way better than a Golden Chocobo!

(Note: The episodes involving FF13's main cast will net you their monster crystal, and they're quite a jump over the most powerful/efficient normal monster of their type. Meaning that game balance will be skewed quite a bit in your favour. I have not managed to beat Gilgamesh, so I don't know what might happen after the dust settles, but I'm not going to find out - I personally don't feel it's worth the trouble, though I do agree the music is indeed halfway awesome.)
    Last edited by Silent Warrior; 08-11-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: And just a few posts down...
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Still, the original version is the best.
    I found Gilgamesh breaking the fourth wall amusing, in fact, the entire battle was fun, and I did like that version of the Big Bridge.

Okay so I also recently got the game and looking through the DLC, if I choose to pick the episode DLC, when do I get to access them? I am sure the Arena stuff will be later on in the game as well and I am not really caring about the outfits at the moment nor the weapon DLC.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You get to access all DLC content after you gain access to the Historia Crux for the first time, which is after Chapter One (New Bodhum)

At least, I'm fairly certain of that. If you do a new game and have Sazh's episode, you can actually gain a very good Synergist before the Bresha Ruins.

I'm getting Sazh because he was my favorite XIII character but should I also get Lightning and Snow as well? I am also getting 1 of either weapons to help out for right now.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Do not get any of them. Seriously. The DLC episodes have terrible stories, and the party members you can get from them are unnecessary to beat the strongest stuff in the game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I was talking to roto ;o
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?