Thread: Favorite Final Fantasy VIII theory?

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Default Favorite Final Fantasy VIII theory?

Let's hash this out guys. We have the theory that the game has no theory (bollocks), we have the theory that Squall is Dead (scientific evidence supports this one), we have the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory (very, very plausible), and we have every single Future Esthar theory (irrefutable).

Personally, I really enjoyed the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory a few years ago, despite not really believing it. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but some of the connections were downright bizarre/creepy, and that whole theory made me feel quite sad about the game at large.

I can't honestly say that I believe any of the theories, but it's pretty fun to speculate years after the game has been torn apart from disc to disc.

What do you guys think? You don't have to be a subscriber of the theory to enjoy it for all of its ridiculousness and or plausibility

The odd little similarities between it and Final Fantasy III, mainly in its geography.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    The odd little similarities between it and Final Fantasy III, mainly in its geography.
    Could you elaborate? This is the first I've heard of that

If you Google "tvtropes ff8" then click the first thing that comes up, and click the "WMG" tab, you should be able to find it. Or click this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nalFantasyVIII

Here's what I can remember.

-There's a mobile island that's been out of use for a very long time, but it has signs of an old civilisation being rooted beneath it. This is in roughly the same coordinates as FF3's floating continent, stated in said game to require maintenance to remain airborne. Apparently Desch didn't get the instructions to pass down far enough.

-There was a big-ass crystal pillar somewhere in the world once in FF8. It's now encased in the Lunatic Pandora and hidden underwater, though.

-The world map layout has land covering roughly the same areas.

The other points were mostly plot-related and you can make of each of those whatever you will; I just like the geographical similarities. Obviously I don't consider any of this canon; I just think it's really cool, and not least because it would give Serapy and Future Esthar a heart attack
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 07-10-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    If you Google "tvtropes ff8" then click the first thing that comes up, and click the "WMG" tab, you should be able to find it. Or click this: Final Fantasy VIII - Television Tropes & Idioms

Here's what I can remember.

-There's a mobile island that's been out of use for a very long time, but it has signs of an old civilisation being rooted beneath it. This is in roughly the same coordinates as FF3's floating continent, stated in said game to require maintenance to remain airborne. Apparently Desch didn't get the instructions to pass down far enough.

-There was a big-ass crystal pillar somewhere in the world once in FF8. It's now encased in the Lunatic Pandora and hidden underwater, though.

-The world map layout has land covering roughly the same areas.

The other points were mostly plot-related and you can make of each of those whatever you will; I just like the geographical similarities. Obviously I don't consider any of this canon; I just think it's really cool.
    I like this!

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Don't both games also reference Hyne the magician in some way? In III, Hyne is a character you fight; in VIII Hyne is a magical figure in the lore. I think you can only read about Hyne in VIII from one of the rare magazines (or maybe even from the Garden homepage or whatever it's called).

EDIT: For your reading pleasure: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Hyne

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Don't both games also reference Hyne the magician in some way? In III, Hyne is a character you fight; in VIII Hyne is a magical figure in the lore. I think you can only read about Hyne in VIII from one of the rare magazines (or maybe even from the Garden homepage or whatever it's called).

EDIT: For your reading pleasure: Great Hyne - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research
    Indeed, forgot about that one. Their official English spellings are different, though. Incidentally FF8's information on Hyne is being told to children as a story in at least two locations in the game, but you've gotta be willing to explore NPC dialogue for it.