Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Dream Zanarkand

Does Dream Zanarkand - the one Tidus is from - actually exist? Obviously it is a dream of the fayth and all, but does it maintain a constant progression of time or is Tidus simply "born" into Spira with all these memories?

I feel as though the existence of both Jecht and Tidus gives weight to the idea that the Dream Zanarkand we're exposed to does exist, and Jecht's disappearance from Dream Zanarkand does line up with his arrival in Spira. So there's that. There's also the fact that Auron can seemingly travel between them riding Sin like a badass.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I always think it exists like Aeons do. As the fayth are constantly summoning Dream Zanarkand (like the cutscene on Mt. Gagazet shows), it must mean it's always there, even at that very moment. So yeah, I think it exists.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I still want to know how the smurf Jecht got to Spira.

And then travelled back to a dream world as Sin to retrieve his son.

Another Final Fantasy game with a shoddy time travel plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There is no time travel involved anywhere in FFX. Dream Zanarkand is located on Spira as a summon/an aeon, but no one on Spira found it yet... well except for Auron/Jecht/Tidus whom Sin, who knows about DZ, took from and to DZ. At least that's what I gathered.

What I'm more interested in is what happened to DZ after Sin's attack or why Sin attacked it in the first place. I guess Auron explains it a little bit when you talk to him on the airship after entering Sin, but what happened to DZ is never revealed. And why can't I just fly the airship there to see it for myself?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I think there's a reason behind why only Auron and Fayth-Dreams like Jecht and Tidus can travel to and from there, but I'm not sure how or why or what. I have so many questions Tidus, why didn't you answer them!?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I think there's a reason behind why only Auron and Fayth-Dreams like Jecht and Tidus can travel to and from there, but I'm not sure how or why or what. I have so many questions Tidus, why didn't you answer them!?
    (SPOILER)

isn't it because all three of them are unsent? We know Auron is, and Jecht is Sin, and at the end we see Tidus disappear. I think that's the main reason -- they're intrinsically dreams of the fayth, to an extent. One could argue that Seymour could go there too if he wanted, and whoever else in the ranks of Yevon who are dead.

I think it's somewhat intentional that the plot is 'shoddy.' I think it adds to the story if it's a little uneven in this context. It makes the mystery all the more interesting... and plus, we wouldn't still be talking about it if it was all laid out in stone.

I don't think you can reach dream Zanarkand by airship because it's kind of like Heaven... you can't go up in a plane and just 'keep going' until you get there. But then of course you get into religious arguments about the very existence of Heaven in the first place. I think that because it's a dream of the fayth, such an idea is implied. The play on words is illuminating in that regard.
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The mechanics of being a Fayth-Dream and/or Unsent are really up in the air, which is probably why they can handwave it as the reason Auron can travel to and from Dream Zanarkand. My issue is that it seems to exist entirely separate from Spira, though it can be travelled to; where, exactly, is the "entrance" per se?

On an entirely different note; do the Fayth dream the rest of Spira, too? What would happen if you tried to sail to the other locations in FFX from Dream Zanarkand? Tidus seems to think the entire world is a mystery to him, but he's really not a good example. The cross over with the Yevonite's prayer and it being the blitzball symbol for good luck makes me wonder if Dream Zanarkand was the Fayth preserving Zanarkand in its prime exactly as it was, or if there's some strange blurring effect.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think you could travel there by airship, it's just that there haven't been any airships since Sin came about. The Al Bhed find one, but they're too busy kicking Sin's ass once they get it in the air. As for traveling by boat, I always wondered if maybe the city was in the sky. Or maybe they need a pokemon that knows Whirlpool.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulance View Post

(SPOILER)

isn't it because all three of them are unsent? We know Auron is, and Jecht is Sin, and at the end we see Tidus disappear. I think that's the main reason -- they're intrinsically dreams of the fayth, to an extent. One could argue that Seymour could go there too if he wanted, and whoever else in the ranks of Yevon who are dead.

I think it's somewhat intentional that the plot is 'shoddy.' I think it adds to the story if it's a little uneven in this context. It makes the mystery all the more interesting... and plus, we wouldn't still be talking about it if it was all laid out in stone.

I don't think you can reach dream Zanarkand by airship because it's kind of like Heaven... you can't go up in a plane and just 'keep going' until you get there. But then of course you get into religious arguments about the very existence of Heaven in the first place. I think that because it's a dream of the fayth, such an idea is implied. The play on words is illuminating in that regard.

1. Technically Jecht and Tidus aren't unsent. They don't even exist.

2. I don't like the plot of the game I'm playing to "be mysterious" because Square was too lazy to come up with answers to the mess they created.

Also, how the hell does Tidus think that Zanarkand is the only place that exists....EVER?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I suppose if any boat ever dared to come anywhere near Dream Zanarkand, Sin would immediatly smash it to pieces.

I think Dream Zanarkand is a recreation of what Zanarkand would've been had it been alone in the middle of the ocean with no one ever having heard of Mt. Gagazet, Bevelle, Summoners or anything Spira for 1000 years. Auron ages in Dream Zanarkand - and he came there when Tidus was still young so Tidus ages too. Meaning Shuyin and Tidus are completely different people that have probably no connection whatsoever...
    I'm guessing the Prayer and Hymn of the Fayth are known in Dream Zanarkand cause they were customs in the real Zanarkand before/during the war with Bevelle and the fayth thought they might include that. The people of DZ probably just preserved those.
    Also I'm pretty sure summons - including all the people of Dream Zanarkand - are REAL people. This is evident as the image of Tidus' mother appears in the Farplane. Wait... would that mean buildings that were destroyed in DZ would also appear in the Farplane, seeing as how they're summons as well?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I always simply took at that the dream of the Fayth was an alternate version of the real Zanarkand, along with most other people/aspects. It's kind of like when you dream about something in real life. Some things are accurate, but the deeper you examine the details, the more liberties your subconscious takes with replicating real life.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

This is some real Inception trout right here.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    This is some real Inception trout right here.
    As I was writing that post earlier, I was wondering if someone was going to call me out on that. I wasn't thinking of it when I first started to type, but about three quarters of the way through, I realized that I was basically describing aspects of Inception. I finished it off because I then realized that I thought of FFX in that manner WELL before that movie came out!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I only mention it because I watched the movie about two weeks about and the phrase is a favourite of mine. But I agree; Dream Zanarkand existing within Spira is a concept I already considered well before Inception came out.

Did the people of Zanarkand know about Sin in the beginning of the game?
    I'm wondering because I almost find it a little fascinating to imagine a Spira where nobody had ever heard of Sin before.

Tidus seems clueless about Sin at that point, anyways.