Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (the spoiler-free thread)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

WHAT? No Batman Begins had Ninjas! Anything with ninjas is automatically awesome.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Should have axed more of the ninja time and training and gone with more footage of crazy people, imo

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It had Liam Neeson playing Ra's Al Gul. I don't know what else a Batman fan would want except maybe a Lazarus Pit.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Shiny and Shorty were obviously dropped too hard on their heads as kids. Batman Begins was packed with awesome: Christian Bale, Morgan Freemon, Liam Neeson, Scarecrow, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I still feel DKR will be a great film and I am happy Bane was chosen cause he is an underrated villain in the series and his portrayal in Batman and Robin was just criminal.
    Seriously. I can only assume that the people bitching about Bane have only experienced him through Batman & Robin, where he was a comically mindless brute (just one of a great number of travesties that movie committed). Bane is otherwise a very dark and menacing villain, so I think he is perfect for a Nolan film.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Seriously. I can only assume that the people bitching about Bane have only experienced him through Batman & Robin, where he was a comically mindless brute (just one of a great number of travesties that movie committed). Bane is otherwise a very dark and menacing villain, so I think he is perfect for a Nolan film.
    Not only that, but I'd say the people disliking may also have only seen the artwork of him from the 90's with his ridiculous mask and costume, or his appearance in Arkham Asylum (which wasn't a good depiction of him frankly).

What people need to keep in mind is that Bane is a character who is not only more than a physical match for Batman, he matches him intellectually as well. Despite the art from when he was originally designed making him look like a Mexican wrestler, he is an intelligent villain, and strong tactician, and, oh yeah, he beat Batman. And I mean we're not just talking about beating him in a fist fight. He figured out Batman's identity, made Batman push himself over the limits of his physical and mental endurance, capturing every villain in Arkham, then finished him off when he was as battered and broken as he'd ever been. And it looks like TDKR is going to be pulling from all of the best aspects of the character.

The only reason someone wouldn't be excited about that is if they didn't know why they're supposed to be excited.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Fell asleep during Batman Begins.

Bring back George Clooney and Uma Thurman and Arnie. Camp Batman > Gritty Batman... Forever.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always thought Tom Hardy was an underrated actor but he is absolutely the perfect choice for Bane.

I'm watching it at the IMAX on Sunday and I'll make sure that I wear tight underwear in order to contain my excitement.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever View Post
    I always thought Tom Hardy was an underrated actor but he is absolutely the perfect choice for Bane.
    I've liked him a lot in the roles I've seen him in, but I have to agree, he looks absolutely perfect as Bane. I know he's got the acting chops for it, but he also just plain looks like he'll break someone in half. If I saw that man anywhere near me, I wouldn't even bother running. I'd just ask that my death be quick.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He could definitely tear you a new one...

Tom-Hardy-warrior.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm with Raistlin on this one.

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Shiny and Shorty were obviously dropped too hard on their heads as kids. Batman Begins was packed with awesome: Christian Bale, Morgan Freemon, Liam Neeson, Scarecrow, among others.

I still feel DKR will be a great film and I am happy Bane was chosen cause he is an underrated villain in the series and his portrayal in Batman and Robin was just criminal.
    Listen, I have no problem with Neeson. I quite enjoy some of his movies. I hated him as Wayne's mentor, though. I hated that character. I won't deny that Morgan Freeman was awesome and god, I wish I could have seen more of Scarecrow more than anything. But the first half of the movie was utterly terrible.

I don't know how anyone can deny that TDK is a better film Heath Ledger's portayal of The Joker will go down in the history of film forever. He made that movie his. Christian Bale was the sideshow, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    What people need to keep in mind is that Bane is a character who is not only more than a physical match for Batman, he matches him intellectually as well. Despite the art from when he was originally designed making him look like a Mexican wrestler, he is an intelligent villain, and strong tactician, and, oh yeah, he beat Batman. And I mean we're not just talking about beating him in a fist fight. He figured out Batman's identity, made Batman push himself over the limits of his physical and mental endurance, capturing every villain in Arkham, then finished him off when he was as battered and broken as he'd ever been.
    This. And I am so smurfing excited for it.

I am interested to see how exactly this film ties together the other two movies. Other then you know, it being about Batman. From what I understand, this one especially is meant to feel like a finale, not a stand-alone movie.

I guess I may have to go back and watch the two previous movies beforehand if I want the full impact.

Take care all.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, after everyone has seen this movie during this weekend, it's going to be easier and more friendly to debate abortion and religion.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific hagfish View Post
    I don't think it can top The Dark Knight because a) The Joker is the greatest villain ever and b) so was the portrayal of his character in that film. I have a lot of hope, though, because I'm anticipating this to be the darkest one of all three.

I read a lot of hate for Anne Hathaway about this movie a few months ago - not really sure why. I think she'll do a great job with her part. Nolan knows how to direct. He's picked a great cast in the last films and I have confidence that she'll be able to exceed my expectations.

also so smurfing excited for Bane.
    Anne Hathaway looks sweet and not feline at all. Thankfully, I think she's a very good actress so I'm not too worried that she won't be able to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Batman Begins was balls and I wanted 2 hours and 30 minutes of my life back.
    All of your opinions are now necessarily invalid.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Say what you will but I will continue to dislike any movie with Katie Holmes in it and the "villain" sucked. Also, I don't go see a super hero movie to watch Bruce Wayne acting like the capitalist pig he is.
    Okay, well, Katie Holmes did do a lot of damage to my enjoyment of that movie. So did Rachel Dawes as a character in general. I like the villains though.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The film barely had Scarecrow and not enough of Neeson or Freemon imo. This was the problem! I will agree with you on the Bane thing though. I asked someone why they didn't want to go see The Dark Knight Rises and they pretty said what everyone who some how hates the film already has been saying, "BANE IS NOT A MAIN VILLAIN HE'S JUST A HENCHMAN" or they say that it doesn't look like it has enough action in it. To those people: just go see the film and stfu before you make your accusations. These are the same hoo ha's who were complaining about Ledger being casted as the Joker.

I actually have a semi-funny Neeson story from a while back on the set of movie he did with Christina Ricci. Don't feel like telling that story though. I stand by my statement that Batman Begins is utter balls and boring.