Thread: Jeremy Lin And Sports Media

Default Jeremy Lin And Sports Media

Now that the big bomb has been dropped and Jeremy Lin is off to Houston, here's the real question for all you sports and media fans:

Who cares?

Granted as a sports fan and Knicks fan, I should really care about this, but the overwhelming coverage just turned me off entirely.

What's worse is the speculation from everyone about who is to blame. It's Lin, it's the Knicks owner, James Dolan, it's the economy, it's capitalism itself. Somehow, it's racism. My opinion is that Dolan will always be Dolan and he decided that Lin had slighted him by actually seeking out another contract. Though Dolan and the Knicks told him he was free to. Yet, Lin then went and got a sort of secret back-loaded deal that contained all sorts of secret "Poison Pill" attachments to it as well. Then, blah, blah, blah.

Athletes make entirely too much money anyway. We fool ourselves in to thinking that team owners actually care about what fans want when really, they just more money. That's the funniest angle about this story, since Lin was making the team so much money anyway and by not paying him, they stand to lose money.

My bigger question is, are we better off that we live in a 24 hour sports world? That everything is debated down to the economics of "Poison Pill" contracts and that sports stories take up more time then what President Obama or Mitt Romney are up to? Or what is happening overseas?

I love sports. Played them all my life, will continue to follow them. But, I just think there is entirely too much coverage, to the point where just enjoying the games themselves is disappearing. So, I ask you, are you happy that we are now getting every little detail about every single transaction in sports? Or is it too much?

Take care all.

Blog Entries

I love football, all other sports are boring imo. But Lin was fun to watch just for the fact that besides Yoa name another Asian player. I know I can't. I think this is why it's such a big deal in a sport dominated by African Americans and a couple white guys. at least in baseball Asians and South Americans love it. and their good at it. But basketball is like purely African American now. So I'd say that's how race comes into it. And yeah, they ALL make way too much money, baseball should make the least imo, they have longer careers generally and well half of them are fatties who can't even run just hit the ball hard. and the sport is boring as a crapsack. Football and Hockey should make the most money since you can be severly hurt at any given time and a lot of the players don't play for decades like Baseball and to a lesser extent Basketball (see Grant Hill).

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Basketball just hasn't been interesting since the nineties in my opinion. Also, I will never own an article of clothing with as much swagger as an old Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Lebron James free agent coverage was much, much worse.

It gets more time than Romney or Obama because those two aren't really doing anything.

Athletes are overpaid, but they are also paid exactly what they are economically worth. If people stopped paying $40 for a ticket and $8 for a beer then salaries will start going down. As it stands any athlete has the complete right to try and get as much money as a team is willing to pay him. I'd do it too.

It sucks that Lin is going to a washed up team like Houston, but it's not like he was given every opportunity in New York. 5 guys had to get hurt just for him to start.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The Lebron James free agent coverage was much, much worse.
    Agreed, though LeBron is about a thousand times the the player that Lin is, so some of that coverage is justified.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm pretty sure Lebron didn't score 15,000 points per game last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lebron didn't score 15,000 points per game last year.
    As a stat-head, you should know more then most that a player is worth more then just points! In every way, save for perhaps market impact and college experience, LeBron is in another galaxy.

A team signing him leaps to contender. A team that signs Lin leaps to popular in Asia.

I don't even like LeBron but man, do I respect his ability.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Once again, I'm pretty sure the Miami Heat play in the Milky Way, the same galaxy that includes Houston and New York.

Lebron is a great player, but I'm pretty sure a team of 1000 Jeremy Lins could beat him. Obviously only one couldn't beat him. So the question is how many Jeremy Lins would it take to beat Lebron? That is the topic of this thread now.