Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Premiere of the Dark Knight Rises (UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm half asleep but I finally saw this tonight, and well *fangasm* OH MY GOD IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!! Much like The Dark Knight, it is just really satisfying to get hyped up for a movie and actually have the film pull through and be as awesome as you hoped it would be. A truly great finale for the trilogy and OMG! Liam Neeson came back to play Ras'Al Gul!!! The plot twist with his daughter was amazing and Bane finally got the fanfare he truly deserved. If I had one complaint, it's that I wish Bane had gotten a more climatic ending. He is such a big force in the film that I felt his conclusion was a bit anti-climatic.

The Dark Knight is still my favorite of the trilogy but this film is a very close second and I really felt every character pulled through on this film.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think one of the main reasons it's so well liked is that Rachel Dawes was dead through the whole thing.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    I think one of the main reasons it's so well liked is that Rachel Dawes was dead through the whole thing.
    I would have gone with Anne Hathaway's butt in that catsuit. To each their own I suppose.

Saw it again this evening. Definitely my favourite of the 3 I think. Except when I'm feeling psychopathic and want to watch the Joker.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    So do he and Catwoman bang?
    forever and ever amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    So do he and Catwoman bang?
    forever and ever amen
    If I go see this movie, I want to see Anne and Christian getting horizontal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He only gets horizontal with Talia, who is much hotter imo.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the movie was thoroughly entertaining and a really great way to end the trilogy. Surprisingly, I thought Anne Hathaway did a good job with what she was given. I also liked Bane with his crazy cartoon voice and JGL's Robin.

But I don't think the movie was balls out amazing like a lot of people are hyping it up to be.

So much just didn't make any sense. I thought Marion Cotteiard was wasted in her role, and her death scene was just the silliest. I could not get over how bad that was. What gives?

I also really really hate it when female villians in movies sleep with the guy that they're intending to kill. Yeah, I hate you but I'm totally going to let you smurf me anyway. Ugh.

I thought the villains motivations were kinda far-flung. Joker was obviously insane, was Bane insane too? Throughout the movie it made it seem like there was some deeply rooted hatred of Gotham's police/infrastructure/culture in his motivations but at the end we find out he's mostly just doing this cause he loves the girl? Or am I getting that wrong? Is he just crazy and wants anarchy? I wish they had made that more clear.

I know it was a bit cheesy but I LOVED that Batman got a happy ending. Most of the film was so dark, it made me heart go awwww to see him all sunshine and happy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I also really really hate it when female villians in movies sleep with the guy that they're intending to kill. Yeah, I hate you but I'm totally going to let you smurf me anyway. Ugh.
    Well technically in the books, Talia and Bruce have a complicated romantic relationship that is disturbed by Ras' Al Gul being Batman's enemy and Talia's dad. I'll admit I felt the relationship could have used a bit more development.

I thought the villains motivations were kinda far-flung. Joker was obviously insane, was Bane insane too? Throughout the movie it made it seem like there was some deeply rooted hatred of Gotham's police/infrastructure/culture in his motivations but at the end we find out he's mostly just doing this cause he loves the girl? Or am I getting that wrong? Is he just crazy and wants anarchy? I wish they had made that more clear.
    He's the figurehead of the new Brotherhood of Shadows from Batman Begins, though Talia is actually the leader, Bane is the face of the organization. Going by how they operated in Batman Begins, they oppose the police and government which they felt is corrupt and they are trying to finish Ras' Al Gul's goal of destroying Gotham to serve as an example to the rest of society that they need to shape up and restore the proper balance before they fall like Gotham. Bane is simply a servant to Talia, but seeing how he's also a former criminal, I'm sure he revels in the anarchy and destruction of the establishment as well.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wish the movie would have explored Talia/Batman's relationship better. It was probably the worst thing about it. In the end it seemes like she hated him though for some reason she smurfed him before anyway.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hope we get some deleted/extended scenes with Talia and Batman. I guess I was projecting what I knew about their relationship in other storylines into the movie, but thinking about it their relationship in the movie was really underdeveloped. I was still happy to see her though.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

So I finally got around to seeing this the other day, now that I have my life back. It is overall a really great comic book movie, and a worthy conclusion to the best super hero film series ever made.

The good: Bane. I loved how Bane was portrayed so much. He was so imposing and menacing and brilliant all wrapped into one. I will concede that nothing can beat the Joker, but this version of Bane came closer than I would have ever thought possible back when the second film ended. Other good parts included Catwoman (especially the outfit), Talia's overall story, and the epic plot.

The bad: Ok, there were some awful plot points that the movie rushed through (there was so much in this story that a 2:45 movie could still feel rushed). The point where Robin revealed his Batman knowledge was so, so bad. It makes sense that he could tell Wayne's smile was fake, but that he was Batman? Wtf? It was like the writers finished the script but forgot they had to include somewhere that Robin knew Batman's identity, so made up so last-minute bulltrout.

Like others have mentioned, I also didn't like how the Bruce/Talia "relationship" was developed. It was very perfunctory and meaningless, and so the ultimate reveal did not have the impact it could have.

But still, a great movie and fitting ending. I might even argue that the Batman trilogy contains the three best super hero/comic movies ever made. Iron Man is probably the only viable competitor Marvel has put up, which could arguably nudge out Batman Begins.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm half asleep but I finally saw this tonight, and well *fangasm* OH MY GOD IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!! Much like The Dark Knight, it is just really satisfying to get hyped up for a movie and actually have the film pull through and be as awesome as you hoped it would be. A truly great finale for the trilogy and OMG! Liam Neeson came back to play Ras'Al Gul!!! The plot twist with his daughter was amazing and Bane finally got the fanfare he truly deserved. If I had one complaint, it's that I wish Bane had gotten a more climatic ending. He is such a big force in the film that I felt his conclusion was a bit anti-climatic.

The Dark Knight is still my favorite of the trilogy but this film is a very close second and I really felt every character pulled through on this film.
    I agree with you about Bane. How many movies have the hero look like he's about to die from some bad guy to just be saved just in time? I left to go to the bathroom when Bruce and Talia interacted with each other the first time, except I just got to see them laying in the covers together.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would also agree about Bane's ending. Getting blasted out of the way by Selina did seem a bit anti-climactic to his role.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yes i expected him to show up after that
    didnt think he was dead

Blog Entries

(SPOILER)Robin/Arthur was the dreamer
    Batman was the subject
    Alfred/Miles was the architect
    Talia/Mal was also along for the ride
    Scarecrow/Fischer was a projection
    The Idea: Shut down Wayne Enterprises

Anyway I loved all the the 2 second flashback moments. As was said Bane's death felt very anticlimactic (unless it's meant to imply he survived as comic villains tend to do). I wouldnt have prefered Batman died but I wouldve prefered implication and ambiguity of his survival rather than outright 'there he is, he's fine and Frenching it up'. I also felt Robin was rather underplayed during the end of the climax when he was trying to get everyone across the bridge, seeing as he failed and didnt really contribute to the victory after his part was done at the start of the climax
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 08-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!