Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Premiere of the Dark Knight Rises (UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Talia wasn't a surprise for me. When she first appeared I leaned over and said, " watch it, she's Talia al ghul" "who?" "Ras al..""...""his daughter..... Ah just watch the movie."

I didn't like bane's death though. It was anticlimatic.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I didn't like bane's death though. It was anticlimatic.
    I saw this movie again yesterday and came here to reiterate this. Completely anticlimactic, and he deserved more for the villain that he was.

Can't stop loving this movie, though.

We're picking nits here frankly, but the inherent lack of logic villains employ in movies, especially superhero movies is really flooding back to me now. This is just the latest and greatest example of such. It just makes me kind of annoyed that someone would have such an elaborate plan and then not just execute it but instead wait to see if the superhero is going to return before following through.

I long for the day when a villain is actually ruthless. I think it would make for a much more interesting series and would raise the stakes for the heroes.

I was actually planning to overlook all of this for The Dark Knight Rises if they had actually done the unthinkable and let Bruce Wayne die, but by then hedging their bets, I felt the film didn't fulfill its actual promise and what I still believe to be wildly inconsistent plot points soured me.

If we want to wave away all of this and just say Bruce Wayne was too determined to be stopped fine, but once again, the fact that he was still injured, and that no one left look-outs to, I don't know maybe shoot him on sight if he escaped the Pit, takes a lot away from this film for me. Again, I'm not asking for a complex re-working of the plot here, but if they included a few more scenes to just ground this in a reality that THEY HAD ALREADY SET UP, I wouldn't have much of a problem. I guess I will have to see if their are deleted scenes.

As for the Joker escape, yeah, I didn't expect the guests to stop him, but surely someone would call the cops? He's the most wanted criminal in Gotham, someone who has been attacking from the shadows and now appears in plain sight. I would figure someone would notify the police. Maybe Senator Leahy could've called someone?

Take care all.

Someone may well have called the cops, but who really wanted to watch a scene of Joker running from cops with no batman involvment?

I frankly would have taken as many Joker scenes as possible.

But, your point is well-taken. I just felt it was odd, that they just sort of left this tense location to move on with no closure. Obviously he got away but with all the build-up, it seemed like a strange edit to just jump to the next scene which was several days later.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Talia wasn't a surprise for me. When she first appeared I leaned over and said, " watch it, she's Talia al ghul" "who?" "Ras al..""...""his daughter..... Ah just watch the movie."
    I would have punched you square in the nose. I love surprises.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBahamut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBahamut View Post
    Actually, I think Batman died. When Alfred sees him at the end, I think it was supposed to be a symbolic sign that Alfred felt accomplished and Bruce did the right thing.
    Except for the fact that Bruce fixed the auto-pilot in the bat, went back for his mothers pearls, and at some point after the movie ended left the coordinates to the Batcave for Blake.

Seriously, between all of that and them outright showing him alive it's pretty clear that they're not trying to leave things ambiguous. He is alive.

As for my thoughts, I'm still processing everything a bit and plan to see it again on Tuesday once it's all sunk in, but my initial reaction is that that was my favourite of the three. Excellent way to end the trilogy.
    But I felt like it would've been a better movie in the end if he died.
    Being horrifyingly depressed at the end of a movie does not necessarily make it better. Hollywood's latest trend of fated-falls can be too much. Batman dying would've been a crime.

Overall I think the movie and series Nolan made was amazing, it brought a much more emotional level to Batman is pretty unheard of. And I don't remember who posted about this, but I felt that whatsherface smurfing Bruce early on in the film was because how smurfing crazy she was. I didn't bat an eye at it.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's a much better story that Bruce Wayne is able to go through an awful life event that haunts him for years, turn that turmoil into a positive thing for the people in his community and survive his ordeals ultimately content with life and able to find happiness without remaining a violent vigilante. That is a great ending to an amazing story.

The messianic martyr trope would've been absolutely disappointing in this case.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

If I was your friend I wouldve hated you so much

edit: what shlup said
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I think it's a much better story that Bruce Wayne is able to go through an awful life event that haunts him for years, turn that turmoil into a positive thing for the people in his community and survive his ordeals ultimately content with life and able to find happiness without remaining a violent vigilante. That is a great ending to an amazing story.

The messianic martyr trope would've been absolutely disappointing in this case.
    Thank you. Very tired of the "downer element in an ending automatically makes it a great movie" attitude. It's Batman. Not Requiem For A Dream.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I knew she was Talia because under her casting on imdb it said 'Talia al'Ghul'. I thought everyone knew it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I stayed away from IMDB and Wikipedia for fear of spoilers. I would have been so pissed if I had read that beforehand.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Bane stole the show for me. He was like The Joker in that whenever he wasn't on the screen, I wanted him to be on the screen. A real menacing and enigmatic presence. His death was a travesty though. I also thought it went a little bit south towards the end, with Talia running away in a truck or something, and then repeated and unnecessary lengthy shots of Blake on the bridge. Blah blah he's the new hero and so dreamy and BOOOOOOOOORING, there is a smurfing nuke and batman and chases! I don't care about some kids being told to get back on a bus to give them hope or whatever.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I knew she was Talia because under her casting on imdb it said 'Talia al'Ghul'. I thought everyone knew it.
    I knew it just from looking at her. Also could it be possible that the ending was just a part of alfred's imagination?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, you shut up. Bruce Wayne lived out a happy life and Blake turns into Nightwing and takes on protecting Gotham and everybody is just happy in the end.