Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Premiere of the Dark Knight Rises (UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD)

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

Default Midnight Premiere of the Dark Knight Rises (UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD)

So I have successfully watched the midnight premiere of all 3 movies in the Dark Knight trilogy.

Once you guys watched, discuss how much of an epic ending to a series this movie was.

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't recall the last time I found a movie ending that satisfying. I've never been a Bane fan, and it's hard to connect with a character whose mouth you can't see, but it worked well enough, and Selena Kyle was enough of a distraction. Once they revealed Talia, though, I was sooo excited. From the first movie I've wanted to see her but never actually expected her to show up.

I thought Officer Blake's real name being Robin was adorable, and I'm glad that Batman and Catwoman finally ran away together.

Joker will always be my favorite, but I have no complaints.

P.S. I added the word "unmarked" to the title 'cause I wanted it to be super clear that this was for people who had seen the movie, since we already have another thread.

Actually, I think Batman died. When Alfred sees him at the end, I think it was supposed to be a symbolic sign that Alfred felt accomplished and Bruce did the right thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you're full of haggis.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBahamut View Post
    Actually, I think Batman died. When Alfred sees him at the end, I think it was supposed to be a symbolic sign that Alfred felt accomplished and Bruce did the right thing.
    Except for the fact that Bruce fixed the auto-pilot in the bat, went back for his mothers pearls, and at some point after the movie ended left the coordinates to the Batcave for Blake.

Seriously, between all of that and them outright showing him alive it's pretty clear that they're not trying to leave things ambiguous. He is alive.

As for my thoughts, I'm still processing everything a bit and plan to see it again on Tuesday once it's all sunk in, but my initial reaction is that that was my favourite of the three. Excellent way to end the trilogy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So do he and Catwoman bang?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

So next movie won't be Batman 4 but Robin 1? This is supposed to be the end for Batman, right? I think he survived, too, I don't think that was any symbolism they were trying to show in that last scene with Alfred. I mean, come one, auto pilot; it was literally foreshadowing something there when they first mentioned that.

I think I liked the second one better though; I'm sticking with the Joker-Batman dynamic as the best in the series.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loooooooooooooooooooooved this movie. I hope anne hathaway and joseph gordon-levitt decide to make a sex tape together or something because they were so smurfing hot, but I won't refuse any of the chemistry hathaway had with christian bale.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

oh my smurfing god. I cannot begin to describe how delighted I was throughout this entire film.

First and foremost, smurfING CILLIAN MURPHY'S FACE WHO I WANT TO KISS showing up on the screen as a complete and smurfing surprise nailed the movie for me. Nailed it. That made me so incredibly happy, especially his psychotic self-appointed role as ruling judge for the people's court. smurfing loved it.

Also, Littlefinger and JOSEPH QUINN, anyone? anyone? My jaw dropped when I realized that it was Quinn screaming back at Tommy (SPOILER)(see: Joseph Gordon-Levitt) from across the bridge near the end. Loved it.

Talia. Nooo smurfing inclination whatsoever that Ra's al Ghul's daughter would show up and be behind all of this. None whatsoever. I knew there was a daughter involved in the comic but I'm not a Batman expert and it never once crossed my mind that she would appear. Well-played, Nolan. After she exposed herself, though, I wished that there had been some twisted love affair between her and Bane. I thought that's what it was at first, but he was major friend-zoned with the way she said goodbye to him. When she was explaining the backstory and fixing Bane's mask and tears were coming from his eyes, that just broke my heart.

Bane was amazing. For some reason, his accent and the way he spoke really surprised me. I'm not sure what I was expecting. He seemed almost cheerful the way he says things. I expected him to have a deep, gruff, hoarse voice the way Bruce changes his when he becomes Batman. It sounded to me that without his mask, he would almost sound the way Han Landa did from Inglorious Basterds. I am so happy at how his character was executed, though. He was a terrifying villain because he seems to outmatch Batman in every way and nearly kills him. I thought that Nolan could have picked better villains at first when I heard he was using Bane but it couldn't have been more perfect.

Hathaway was a pretty good, albeit pretty typical Catwoman with her sleuthy one-liners, but I guess that was to be expected. I honestly thought she would have more to do with plotting in the downfall of Gotham and then turn near the end - I thought it was those two in a duo instead of her being used to get what she wanted. She reminded me very much of Faye Valentine.

I feel like Albert really opened up the most in this movie. Every film, cartoon, whatever it's like, "yeah Albert, sure sure" even though Bruce clearly loves him. He finally broke through his typical "I care about you and I don't want you to get hurt but I know what you'll do what you want anyway so just be careful" attitude and took it where it needed to go. I found it profoundly heart-wrenching both when he was saying goodbye to Bruce and at the funeral.

Gary Oldman was as great as ever as the Commissioner. Marion Cotillard was excellent. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did indeed steal the show for me, though. I loved him. I had heard some rumor that he was supposed to be a "Robin-like" character, but the way they threw his real name in at the end was pretty gratifying.

And, of course, Christian Bale. The way he portrays fearsomeness and humility and the willingness to do what is right is so incredible to me. You can see it in his face. He completely convinces you that he cares so much for Gotham. He spent so much less time in this movie pretending to showcase who he thinks Bruce Wayne is supposed to be to the rest of the world and completely focused on Batman and what needed to be done. I seriously doubt that anyone will be able to top him if there are any remakes in the future, as I'm sure there will be.

This is one of my favorite - if not the favorite - series of all time. Don't love love Batman Begins, but I can tolerate the last half of it. The Dark Knight is a smurfing gem and this last film was so perfect and ended it all exactly the way it needed to be ended. No strings were left undone. Nolan just leaves you wanting more because it's so, so good.

A bit of a sidenote - I'm incredibly excited that he's doing Superman next. He killed with Batman. And although Superman isn't as dark, I have confidence that he can do a remarkable job with that story as well.

I loved every minute of this film. I wished it had gone on forever. I want to go see it a dozen more times in theaters. (Also, there were previews for Oz that excited the tit out of me and I can't wait for that series to come out, either.)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by LFC View Post
    So next movie won't be Batman 4 but Robin 1? This is supposed to be the end for Batman, right? I think he survived, too, I don't think that was any symbolism they were trying to show in that last scene with Alfred. I mean, come one, auto pilot; it was literally foreshadowing something there when they first mentioned that.

I think I liked the second one better though; I'm sticking with the Joker-Batman dynamic as the best in the series.
    I doubt they'll do a Robin series. Though, in the extremely unlikely chance Nolan did continue with that universe, I imagine he would skip Robin and just make him Nightwing. I doubt either will happen though.

I agree that the Joker-Batman dynamic is impossible to beat, but I felt like this movie came as close as it was going to get and it was better in some ways, which I found really impressive. I had such a hardon for Dark Knight for the longest time, but Dark Knight Rises was just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific hagfish View Post
    After she exposed herself, though, I wished that there had been some twisted love affair between her and Bane.
    He briefly raised her. That's, like, gross.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was sweet, cause he clearly loved her It doesn't have to be gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBahamut View Post
    Except for the fact that Bruce fixed the auto-pilot in the bat, went back for his mothers pearls, and at some point after the movie ended left the coordinates to the Batcave for Blake.

Seriously, between all of that and them outright showing him alive it's pretty clear that they're not trying to leave things ambiguous. He is alive.

As for my thoughts, I'm still processing everything a bit and plan to see it again on Tuesday once it's all sunk in, but my initial reaction is that that was my favourite of the three. Excellent way to end the trilogy.
    But I felt like it would've been a better movie in the end if he died.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My initial impressions is that it is my favorite of the three Nolan universe Batman movies. This may change as more time passes, but either way it was THE most satisfying conclusion to a trilogy I have ever seen. The movie isn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. At the end of the day, it was one of the best movie experiences I ever had. Thank you Christopher Nolan and everyone else that worked on all three movies!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This was a great film, and the best ending to the Dark Knight trilogy that could have been possible. Probably the best third movie in a series since Last Crusade. I really loved the movie. Bane was great, and Catwoman was actually not crappy like I would have thought. Hathaway did a really good job.

I thought 'Blake' was actually 'Drake' the whole time so it didn't surprise me when they called him Robin.

The Dark Knight is still the best because of Joker. That movie really stands on its own, while The Dark Knight Rises is more of a conclusion to the trilogy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum