Thread: Goodbye, Sweet Prince

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sad. I hope it hasn't! I remember way before either game came out, back when they were releasing info/screenshots for both games at the same time, I was loads more excited for this game.

Bad move, if you ask me. That game looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

=/

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I really hope this is just a rumour, because otherwise it's safe to say we've been majorly bucked up the @$$ by SE. Part of the reason why I bought a PS3 was this game and XIII, damn it.

On the other hand, it has to be said, they just took way too long with this game. It should have been out a year after XIII, at most.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The hot boys will survive in the fanfics of many a frustrated internet fanfictioner.

"Guy with shotgun looked at guy with glasses as he puckered his lips and ran his hand down his chest. Guy with glasses began to blush as guy with shotgun began to load his 'shotgun'."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

At present, this is a rumour. I've heard people saying it for a while, but all the big sites are talking about it (as a rumour, mostly) now. I would be surprised, personally, given how much they have clearly done on it already. It would be a bit late in the game to cancel, wouldn't it? Not sure how this kind of thing works, but last I checked they had the engine, they had the characters, they had the battle system, they had more than one gameplay trailer out already... so surely if they have gone this far, they wouldn't just drop the ball for no major reason?

Hmm.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Not sure how this kind of thing works, but last I checked they had the engine, they had the characters, they had the battle system, they had more than one gameplay trailer out already... so surely if they have gone this far, they wouldn't just drop the ball for no major reason?
    While I'd like to believe that, the sad truth is that we have no idea how much of anything we've seen in gameplay trailers is real stuff, proof of concept demo stuff, placeholder, or whether they've just scrapped large sections multiple times and aren't getting any where. The sad truth is that even gameplay trailers can be made to look like there's more there than there really is, so we can't know for sure if they had anything worth playing done, or if they had a lot of work in before deciding to scrap it and start over.

I'd like to hope that the game will actually come out because it was the FFXIII title that actually looked fun and interesting, but seeing as it was announced 6 years ago and they've made almost no announcements or real progress in that time, and certainly a lot less in the last year or so, I wouldn't be surprised if it really is cancelled. I suppose we'll find out before too long. If it really is still in production Square will probably make a statement. If it's not, they'll probably stay quiet for a while until they announce their next bit of vapourware.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, the news site that broke the story is Kotaku of all places... This may simply be some high profile pizazz to get people to read their site. Still, I would say the long development time, and the fact that some of the companies technical director's in charge of the Luminous engine that vXIII was going to use, crying around about the next console cycle not being out yet, makes it sound to me like the game may have just been moved to a next generation platform. SE probably just doesn't want to announce it now and anger all the PS3 fans who bought the system for this game.

SE has a 25th Anniversary Event coming up in September before TGS 2012, maybe we'll hear some more official news. If it is cancelled, it will be sad that the game most fans really wanted to play is gone, but it will at least be nice to finally move on. vXIII has been standing in the way of KHIII's development, so I know a few fanboy/fangirls who would really like to hear that vXIII is dead. The really bad thing here is that this makes the second PS3 exclusive title that may have bit the dust , and I bought a PS3 for. Trico being the other game that is in vaporware territory.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Square Enix has stopped developing Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

That's the gist of a recent report from Kotaku...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    Kotaku
    Bwahahahahahaha.

It's a rumor, even Kotaku has it listed as a rumor on their site. And just about anything Kotaku post without any source other than "sources" or "insiders", you can just as well label as a rumor. And on that rumor page, Kotaku can't actually site an single source, and just because they called SE and SE refused to give them any info on the game hardly qualifies as proof of cancellation.

Until Square Enix confirms it, I don't believe it. I could totally see them changing it's title though, like they did with Type-0.

Not that it would surprise me all that much, and if they did actually cancel it, I'm sure we'd end up seeing the game in some other form, like as Final Fantasy XV or something. Surely they wouldn't just discard all the work they've done.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Even though it's on Kotaku, the fact that we've heard nothing about it really the past year or any mentions really for a while now, is a bit worrisome. The fact that it hasn't been even mentioned at the past gaming shows is troubling. the fact that they don't have listed for anything for the next show, that's not bothersome in the least?

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

The sad thing is that it is possible. I'm not entirely sure of the game's developmental history, but it was announced a pretty long time ago and to the best of the memory, not a lot has been done. The game has been overshadowed by other projects, so in a way, I can't say I'm all that surprised. It still breaks my heart, though.

On the flipside, if this is true, it will lend credence to the rumor that FFXV is getting developed. Maybe it doesn't have to be all bad?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quick, to the RumorMobile!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

this thing is trending on twitter

on TWITTER

so it's not like squeenix doesn't know about the giant rumor wank the internet is having

so either they really did wrap it up and can't deny it
    or are sitting on the denouncement like trolls

/accidental or on purpose wesly fire theory

anyway i wouldn't be surprised if this just becomes FF XV or whatever they're doing now. oh i looked back on the thread and a lot of you think the same thing. MIND BUDDIES!

add a mog village and you're good to go, setting is sufficiently changed.

imo one of the biggest problems with trying to start a substory (like fabula nova crystalis) within a series that already has like fifteen words and numbers in the title per issue, is that the title system becomes your own worst enemy. i mean, final fantasy 7 advent children. is a ridiculous title. ridiculous.

i guess i really liked the fact that the setting seemed the closest to our current world than any other ff game i've played.

did i just write a steve post

wtf where did this come from

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

At least it wasn't called Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon Plus.