Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I give FFXII another shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    ff12 was one of my faves

best dialogue writing of the series for sure. atmosphere was wonderful. characters were great.

there's a lot, and i mean a lot, of subtleties in the story and in the character interactions. maybe i'm reading too much into it, but the subtlety really made this games story for me. it made it more real, and the voice actors all did a great job i think.
    I'm Captain Basch von Ronsenburg! Don't believe Ondore's lies!
    You know, that part alone turned me off of Vaan and Basch a bit. I rank that up there with the Yuna/Tidus laughing scene as some of the most uncomfortable dialogue in the FF saga.

Blog Entries

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems that people either LOVED this game or HATED it, with not too many people in between (I fell into the latter camp, and it's not an age thing, I was in my late 20s). Those who loved it tend to be quite vocal about it and it tempts me into giving it another chance.

I think the main reason I hated it was expectation. It also came after FFX (sequels and MMOs aside) which is my joint favourite with VII and I was kind of hoping for a HD equivalent.

I expected interesting and exciting characters like Yuna and Auron, and none of them seemed to meet that for me. I expected a strong badass clear antagonist like Seymour or Sephiroth (probably with some Sin or Jenova thing behind them) and got... that guy I can't even remember the name of. I expected all the good guys to be nice in some way especially the pretty ones, and got Ashe (who I couldn't stand, she came off as a cold hearted brat IMO). I expected the usual story about a small group of misfits saving the world from a maniac (I like this story, that's why I play FF games) and got a story about war and politics. I expected turn based battles (I like turn based battles, that's another reason why I play FF games) and got the MMORPG type system. The list goes on. In summary expected a typical FF game in the style of either the classics or the VII-X era, and got something completely different. So I was bitterly disappointed, hated it and metaphorically stuck the logo over the box of Lost Odyssey instead.

But now that I know it's the black sheep of the FF franchise, I think I could enjoy it for what it is. I know what to expect. I know that there are very realistic shades of grey and the good guys are not all completely good and the bad guys are not all completely bad. I know it's a sort of "single player MMORPG" (a contradiction, but you know what I mean) and designed more for taking your time exploring and doing quests ("missions/marks") than following the main story. I know not to look for much in the way of character stories and to instead enjoy and analyse the politics, and I know that the characterisation that is there is subtle and requires deeper analysis than say, Yuna and Auron.

So maybe I'd be able to stop looking for the wrong things in it, and see its good sides.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I never played much of FFXII when I first tried it as I wasn't hugely impressed, but I have been convinced by you guys to actually give it more of a chance. That and boredom needs to be sated. xD

It better be awesome or else I will be disappointed! *shake fist*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I did give FFXII another shot. Sort of. :3 I got really busy with school and didn't get very far. I only completed the first mark. I was having fun ruthlessly killing sleeping cactuar after that.

I have to say, even though I didn't get too far into it, I was having a lot more fun this time around. I intend to pick it up again soon. I don't think I appreciated the gameplay when I was younger. But now that I'm a bit older and have replayed my copies of older Final Fantasies with the ATB system to death, I enjoy the new battle system much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    It better be awesome or else I will be disappointed! *shake fist*
    If you're disappointed, it means you're not awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only reason why I haven't really played this game much recently is because simply that I am a perfectionist. In the Cerobi Steppe there are tons of treasure chests with potentially lucrative items, and a very base chance of receiving it. Being the perfectionist, I refuse to continue until I have got a ribbon.

I'm going to hate obtaining the Danjuro

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I was having fun ruthlessly killing sleeping cactuar after that.

Glad you enjoyed it though!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

yea hcbailly's LP is making me give this game another shot even though I was bored with it when it was new. I keep getting distracted though with other games lol