Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The "Call Me Maybe" song by Carly Rae Jepsen

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    If you think that song is annoyingly catchy, you haven't yet heard this.

I've watched that video a couple times, and I can't help but see a cameo from one of our own members...

(SPOILER)

Steve, is that you!?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

It's been a little while... I wanted to post here earlier, but I was busy with other things. Anyway, earlier, I pointed out that a song which I think of as horrible would be "I'm Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO. Now, if you want to know another song that I think of as horrible, it would have to be "I Want You Back" by Cher Lloyd, which Mercen-X mentioned earlier; I didn't hear the song until recently, but now that I have heard it, I will agree with you on that song being annoying, in my opinion.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 11-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have a minor celebrity-crush on Carly Rae Jepsen. Yeah, she's physically attractive and all as are many celebrities, but I have a thing for nice voices, and I like her voice in that song she did with Owl City. The song itself isn't amazing by any means, but I love that soft voice she uses. o_x

Monda - I'm glad I'm not the only one! I actually told her that, too. Amy, that is. Not Carly.

I sort of liked Cher Lloyd when I watched her on The X Factor, but I have no real interest in her current music. As for Sexy And I Know It, I watched the X Factor's current season for the first time last weekend and some guy called James did a remake of the song. It was probably one of only two good songs on the show the entire night. It wasn't amazing, but what was great is how he took an absolutely rubbish song and turned it into something that I could actually listen to. The lyrics didn't suit the guy or the style or anything, but it did go to show that if you don't actually listen to the lyrics, you can generally make a decent song out of almost anything.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Hey, I just thought: In addition to LMFAO and Cher Lloyd, I also hate anything by Nicki Minaj, as I can't stand her. From "Super Bass" to "Starships" and everything else that she has ever made and released, I hate all of her songs.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Cher Lloyd and Carly Rae Jepsen both win points from me for being attractive but that doesn't affect whether their music is technically good or bad. Whether it is technically good or bad doesn't play much into my enjoyment factor either. I'm not elitist to say I won't listen to a song because it's bad even if it's catchy. Personal taste exists and I'm not going to stifle it.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Nicki Minaj's songs are terrible, have terrible lyrics, and as the icing on the terrible cake, she looks terrible on top of that. Utterly terrible.

Even more terrible is that my current crush was actually listening to her in the car when we were going somewhere. At least it was only one song.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i like nicki minaj's character
    and also here is my destroying of starships

Nicky minaj - starships (krzyzis mix) by krzyzis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Dammit, why was this thread bumped? Now I've got Call Me Maybe back in my head again.

Also Starships is super fun to dance to. Got a nice energy to it. S'all I care about, tbh, since the only place I hear such songs are at clubs in which I am supposed to dance. :3

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Nicki Minaj's songs are terrible, have terrible lyrics, and as the icing on the terrible cake, she looks terrible on top of that. Utterly terrible.

Even more terrible is that my current crush was actually listening to her in the car when we were going somewhere. At least it was only one song.
    Wow, so terrible that you said terrible 6 times. Aside from that, I agree with you. She's also quite the diva, I heard.

Has anyone heard "Brokenhearted" by Karmin? I thought that was Kesha, but then I saw her on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (Carly Rae Jepsen also participated in the perfomances of the parade), and I later heard Kesha's new song "Die Young" (which kids will do if they do what she and other artists sing about in songs such as that). Karmin had previously covered several other songs of similar styles before releasing this original composition. I don't really like it, though... Other songs that I find annoying are "Moves Like Jagger" and "Payphone" by Maroon 5.

Other times, though, I tend to hate a song because of the subject matter discussed in the song, including "Set the World On Fire" by Fun, because it glorifies getting drunk and wasted. I don't get what's so fun about getting drunk and wasted, and when you're drunk in a bar, and you either pass out or start a fight, the police will carry you to jail.

While some of you may hate Justin Bieber, I hate Justin Timberlake. The "Sexy Back" song, which at one point I wanted to make a parody of (pertaining to Aqua's bare back in Birth by Sleep), is quite disgusting and perverted, and while his first solo album, Justified, was okay, his second solo album, Future Sex/Love Sounds (which "Sexy Back" comes from), was horrible. Both albums were somewhat perverted, but his second album was much worse. I liked him much better back when he was still with N*Sync, but now that he's gone solo, especially with his hip hop collaborations, I think he sucks. As for Justin Bieber, I would have to guess that some of you hate him because he's not "manly" enough.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Other times, though, I tend to hate a song because of the subject matter discussed in the song, including "Set the World On Fire" by Fun, because it glorifies getting drunk and wasted. I don't get what's so fun about getting drunk and wasted, and when you're drunk in a bar, and you either pass out or start a fight, the police will carry you to jail.
    ... have you ever gotten drunk in a bar?

The song is also about a lot more than that, but to each their own if you don't like it.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    ... have you ever gotten drunk in a bar?
    You haven't had any of these things happen to you whilst at your local pub? You've been missing out man!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Here we are, SuperMillionaire, having cohabitated on this forum for several years, and frankly I still can't decide if you really live such a sheltered existence that has permanently marked you with an anachronistic sense of decency and an often worrying taste for media targeted at a preteen female demographic or if you are simply the most successful and consistent troll I have ever encountered. Either way, I'm impressed.

Everyone has said just about everything that need be said about "Call Me Maybe" (guilty pleasure at best), but I wanted to weigh in on LMFAO. I tend to enjoy a couple of LMFAO's bigger hits, if only because I appreciate the joint celebration and parody thing they have going on about the South Beach lifestyle. Having gone to the U and spending plenty of time around people really immersed in the South Beach club lifestyle, the bombastic ridiculousness with which LMFAO conduct themselves is enjoyable on an entirely new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Here we are, SuperMillionaire, having cohabitated on this forum for several years, and frankly I still can't decide if you really live such a sheltered existence that has permanently marked you with an anachronistic sense of decency and an often worrying taste for media targeted at a preteen female demographic or if you are simply the most successful and consistent troll I have ever encountered. Either way, I'm impressed.

Everyone has said just about everything that need be said about "Call Me Maybe" (guilty pleasure at best), but I wanted to weigh in on LMFAO. I tend to enjoy a couple of LMFAO's bigger hits, if only because I appreciate the joint celebration and parody thing they have going on about the South Beach lifestyle. Having gone to the U and spending plenty of time around people really immersed in the South Beach club lifestyle, the bombastic ridiculousness with which LMFAO conduct themselves is enjoyable on an entirely new level.
    Well, I happen to notice that many of you (as well as various people on other forums on the internet) tend to troll on how you hate Justin Bieber (and/or Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus), and if there's a reason as to why, I would guess that it's because he isn't "manly" enough. I notice that a lot of gamers in the western world are into manliness, and that people who like manly games and music tend to hate on things that are cuter and not as manly, but I don't exactly know why. And when it comes to Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, while I liked the former half's music, the latter half, I think, has gone very bad in recent years, and I don't like her sleazy new image. I might also guess that a lot of you don't realize exactly what you're listening to.

Now, let me make something clear right now: I am not saying that these artists should be banned, but I think they should be labeled "MAX" and be more strictly restricted. I came up with that idea after I found out that Marvel Comics uses its MAX imprint to use for explicit content, but have confined it only to that one niche. I've done a lot of research, and I've found out that music started shedding its innocence back in the 1960s, but steadily increased over time until the turn of the 21st century, when indecency really took off. But before the controversies of video games, there was the controversies of comic books, which led to the establishment of the (now defunct) Comics Code Authority in 1955. Another thing that I want to make clear is that I do not strive to be as conservative as China or the Middle East, as I think their censorship standards are way too high. Our problem in America, however, is that our censorship standards are too low. I happen to like some forms of "fan service," so long as it is not overly risque or explicit.

What's more, over the years, I've began to notice things about society and media, and have tried to analyze them and come up with rational theories as to why and how things are the way they are, but I need to ask questions, because I want to know more about these things, which I why I ask these questions. I just want to know why and how people came to like certain things and hate other things. I don't say these things just to be a troll (which you accuse me of, even though I see a whole bunch of others like you trolling about how you hate Justin Bieber and other non-manly musicians), but I want to make points, and I have made a number of valid points in my time here. I certainly don't want to get into trouble and end up banned from this forum, but I just want to know why people who like manly things tend to trash-talk things that are not quite as manly, and I also want to know why people associate things like excessive gruesome violence, trash talk, and explosions with that kind of masculinity in the first place.

Even further, I also want to know: how exactly do you define "crappy music?" For me, I define crappy music as either having annoyingly strange and repetitive beats (such as those in Anglo-American hip hop music, as well as reggaeton, it's Latin American equivalent), or being creepy and overly dark and edgy (such as in heavy metal), or discussing sleazy things like sex, drugs, alcohol abuse, and criminal activities in a way that glorifies it (such as in many pop singers these days, with few exceptions). I also hate it when people driving on the street blast their hip hop music very loud, subjecting me to that kind of music, as in that case, they ARE making me listen to it, and I don't want to listen to it.

With all of that said, once again, let me just state that I do not intend on getting into heated confrontations with you. I just want to know why people act the way they do, so that I can analyze and rationalize it. I am interested in studying psychology and sociology in college, so I consider this a part of why I'm here, which is to observe, ask questions, and analyze things, and then I can make philosophical points and educate people on the nature of how society acts in relation to popular culture and media. You may or may not agree with me, but I'm sure we'll have at least a few things in common, and I'm here to gather insight on it so that I can analyze and rationalize it. I don't want anyone to hate me on this forum, and I apologize for this and any other heated arguments that we may have in the future, because I don't like having heated arguments with you. Please, just understand that I do what I do for the reasons of research, analysis, and rationalization, as well as to educate and make philosophical points.

Of course, all of that should be discussed in another topic, so please respond to this here and then let's get back to the original topic.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 12-01-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I accuse you of trolling because the alternative is believing that a 23-year-old male (so states your profile) who is still planning on going to college at some point in the future who is openly and actively interested in preteen celebrities as you are tends to send up some really creepy red flags. I have to hope you're lying (probably about your age) or trolling about something, otherwise it's just kind of... sad.

Also, I think the general consensus in this thread is that nobody really hates Justin Bieber for anything other than the fact that his music is bad. For reference, I'm a fan of quite a few musicians who could not in your wildest dreams be described as "manly" in the way you describe such as David Bowie (try looking up his bi-glamorous stint for most of his recording career). Granted, he probably qualifies as too sexually explicit for your tastes. In which case I urge you to grow a thicker skin, because if you can't learn to handle some of this stuff better without resorting to cries for it to be censored, you're going to have a hard time fitting into the adult world at large.

Also the idea that music started shedding its innocence in the 1960s is patently absurd. People regarded Elvis Presley as "obscene" in the 1950's because he swung his hips while he danced. Perhaps you should consider the argument that your concept of what is decent is a few decades behind everyone else. Frankly, you sound like my grandmother whenever you discuss any of the media, but even she wouldn't be caught dead listening to Justin Bieber on her iPod.