Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Call Me Maybe" song by Carly Rae Jepsen

Default The "Call Me Maybe" song by Carly Rae Jepsen

By now, I think we've all heard the infectuous summertime hit song "Call Me Maybe" by Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen. It's inspired a whole bunch of parodies, including, among other things, a lip-synching by the U.S. Olympic swimming team, a lip-syncing by a bunch of British cheerleaders, a cookie-sharing themed parody by Sesame Street called "Share it Maybe," and a raunchy parody by The Key of Awesome (they also parodied Kesha's "Tik Tok," among several other songs).

USA Olympic Swim Team Sing 'Call Me Maybe': Yes, Ryan Lochte And Michael Phelps Too

Hey, I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But here's my number
    So call me maybe
    Now, when you look at Carly Rae Jepsen and her music video for "Call Me Maybe," you would probably think that she's about the same age as Justin Bieber, the artist who signed her to his record label, if not slightly older, like his girlfriend Selena Gomez (by the way, she just turned 20 a few days ago), but I was shocked to find out, as were a whole lot of others, that she's actually 26 years old, and will be 27 in November. Yes, Justin Bieber apparently signed someone who's about nine and a half years older than he is to his record label. She is also older than Adele, Taylor Swift, and Colbie Caillat.

In addition, she was also previously a 3rd place finalist on the fifth season of Canadian Idol in 2008, which was their local version of what we Americans know as American Idol. She was 22-23 at the time, and was quite successful in her native Canada since then, but her "Call Me Maybe" song has now launched her popularity into the United States and several other countries as well.

Whenever I hear her song, it reminds me of those late 90s/early 2000s female pop stars like Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, and Britney Spears in her Hit Me Baby One More Time era. It's certainly a very catchy song, considering the many parodies that it has inspired since its debut; it's the song that keeps on giving.

I know that a lot of you tend to hate on Justin Bieber, but considering that Carly Rae Jepsen is about nine and a half-years older than him, and previously a 3rd-place finalist on Canadian Idol, do you feel any different about her? Personally, I was shocked, as were a whole lot of other people, to find out that she's actually 26, but I still like her, and I find her to be a whole lot better than Lady GaGa, Kesha, Katy Perry, and even Miley Cyrus in her regular incarnation (Carly Rae Jepsen is more like Miley Cyrus in her Hannah Montana incarnation, minus the blonde wig, but with a much better voice).
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 08-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ehh. That entire crowd must go.

Blog Entries

I hate everything I just read.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I don't really like that song.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I have never heard it and I refuse to ever listen to it.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The Cookie Monster parody was good. That is the only positive thing that can be said about the song.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

She is really, really attractive.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

And to think this guy helped make it.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Blog Entries

No I have not heard this and I will not.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I hate this song with the fiery passion of several thousand suns. I also hate that it is now stuck in my head thanks to this thread.

Blog Entries

I've have that Kelly Clarkson Since You been gone sing stuck in my head from the moment I walked into work today Why must store play horrible music!? We have 4 stations to choose from and the managers (who are all late 20's early 30's) always choose the crappy pop station!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I know that a lot of you tend to hate on Justin Bieber, but considering that Carly Rae Jepsen is about nine and a half-years older than him, and previously a 3rd-place finalist on Canadian Idol, do you feel any different about her?
    I'm not a music and this is crazy but I'm pretty sure that's not why anyone has a problem with Justin Bieber.

Personally, I was shocked, as were a whole lot of other people, to find out that she's actually 26, but I still like her, and I find her to be a whole lot better than Lady GaGa, Kesha, Katy Perry, and even Miley Cyrus in her regular incarnation (Carly Rae Jepsen is more like Miley Cyrus in her Hannah Montana incarnation, minus the blonde wig, but with a much better voice).
    I'm not sure if you're a music either? But yeah I don't think Carly Rae Jepsen can do this. If she can, good for her! We need more talented artists! But Lady Gaga, regardless of whether you like her, is an astoundingly talented individual and for all her love of spectacle and showmanship, she can sit down with nothing but a piano and do more than anyone else you listed (or most other people working today in the music business, for that matter) can with all the autotune, lipsynching, and whatever the hell it is Kesha does.

Blog Entries

I want to choke Katy Perry to death.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    I hate everything I just read.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Faris View Post
    And to think this guy helped make it.
    I don't have any idea who that is.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Not a fan of the song. Signing her up does not make Bieber any better or more respectable than he is at the time (whatever this means to you). Also, mentioning her in comparison to Kesha, Spears, Cyrus isn't really doing her any favors.