Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Recall

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

My girlfriend and I saw it last over the weekend and we really enjoyed it. Neither of us have really sat down to watch the original all the way through and I've only seen various snippets here and there and didn't have a clue about what the story was about until I saw the new take on it. I like Colin Farrel and wish he would do more action movies and Kate Beckensale made me hate and envy her the whole movie. I also found myself laughing at a multitude of inappropriate moments, specifically when Colin slammed/threw Kate into the ceiling. Overall, I feel like it was worth paying to see the movie in the theater with all the fun I had watching it.

Colin Farrel as Quaid I found a bit odd ever since the trailers... hell, casting Arnold as Quaid seems odd, Quaid being an Irish name and Hauser being German. On some level Farrel is probably somewhat better suited to play Quaid, whereas I may expect Arnold's accent for someone named Hauser. If we consider that this is FUTURE, then most accents are probably dead anyway (of course, there's no killing Arnold's accent no matter what you do).

eep.

Henry... raw deal. They couldn't have injected a fight scene for that dude..? He yell's at Quaid once and gets shot in the head. Quaid is officially a douchebag.

I've been inclined to agree with the concept of magnetic vehicles since Minority Report. I loved the point of the chase at which the vehicle dropped to the streets below, crushing a modern vehicle with its hover power. Lucky or hopefully, no one was in there. I miss the part from the original where that guy Richter is dangling off the elevator and gets his arms ripped off as a second elevator crushes down atop him. This time, they replaced signature douche with actual machine drones we felt no emotion toward, whether sympathetic or visceral.
    There are few stories been told hoping to replace humanity (or at least its "dregs") with machines (Surrogates, I-Robot, AI, The Matrix, Stepford Wives), this was not one of the best. Cohaagen in this just seemed like an idiot douche. One of the best bits of dialogue in the original was Cohaagen stating how desperately he wanted Hauser back. What? Was he his boyfriend? What about offering Melina as Hauser's "bitch"?

Personally, I was not as amazed by the tri-breasted chick in this flick as I was by the one in the original. It was one thing for the concept to be of a potential mutation causing a natural growth of a third breast. But here, somehow the realization that she had obviously had the breast surgically attached in some unnecessary augmentation just really disgusted me.
    The trip through the core was a little lame and the fight in anti-grav wasn't all that great. I think it was the first I've observed of someone using the force of bullet discharge as a means to direct movement without gravity. I liked some of the tech a lot though. I wish they had given the lead robot some more significance. IT made me think of Rinzler from Tron Legacy. My dad says he personally missed the Johnny Cab but he loved the concept of the "floating" middle-class condos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    (there's no killing Arnold's accent no matter what you do).
    Agreed. And you're right, Quaid is a douche for killing Henry like that.

somehow the realization that she had obviously had the breast surgically attached in some unnecessary augmentation just really disgusted me.
    you're kind of odd

I presented the following in a classroom discussion about history and subjectivity.
    I recently viewed Total Recall and Colin Farrel says once that the past shows us where we've been. While that remains true and it is certainly a fact to learn from, history is not the deciding factor of where we will go. You look back and decide whether you approve of what you see and you move forward aspiring to what you assume will meet your approval. That's all any individual or society can really do with history. But to rightfully decide if that history is "good" or "bad" you must be willing to view it from many perspectives as any single perspective is nearly guaranteed to be corrupted by bias.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

3 breast lady?

One each for the family