Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Recall

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

:monster: Total Recall

This was actually a really good movie/remake/reimagining/whatever.

Discuss

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It wasn't bad for me exactly, but I left it feeling very underwhelmed. I actually like to see Colin Farrel in movies too, so I was actually hoping it would be really good since it has been awhile since he was the lead. I knew that it would be vastly different than the original film in terms of looks and feel, too. I did my best to try to view the movie in its own light, but then they kept on throwing random references and direct lines that was intended to remind you of the original. I felt that held the movie back from any greatness it could have achieved if they approached the project differently.

Also, I felt that they really didn't handle the (SPOILER) question of if what the main character experienced was real or not very well. It came off as very forced.

Farrel did a good job with the character, and all other main characters showed up and did their jobs alright as well. However, the more I think about it the more I feel that the remake is largely forgettable. In another 20 years people will still be thinking of the 1990 version when they hear the words "Total Recall."

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Does this film have a line one tenth as good as 'consider that a divorce' or 'screw you!'? If not, I'm out.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All I know is the three-breasted hooker looked hot from what I was online.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This movie has gotten my interest but so far I have not heard great things.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Sephex, it wasn't a remake it was just based off the same short story. That's why some things are the same but this one is closer to the original.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Sephex, it wasn't a remake it was just based off the same short story. That's why some things are the same but this one is closer to the original.
    I know it was based of a short story. "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Phillip K. Dick. I know that they leaning more towards the book, which is why I found all the nods to the movie so weird. I understand that there was bound to be a couple, but still.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The references to the original were minimal and really there were only 2 or 3 and those were all in the first third. Other references and scenes had more to do with the actual story being similar as it should.

My problem with the movie is that the action was too much and too long but that is also a consequence of their plot framework. Instead of being on Mars where so much is undeveloped and Quaid can hide, it is in a futuristic world where everything is monitored. That caused the action to go on for a long time because once they found him, it is hard to get away.

But because we are always running, I don't really feel the like the story comes off all that well. It is too straight forward for a story that is suppose to make the audience question whether what we are seeing is real or in his mind. I never really questioned it the whole way through as they always felt the need to get to the action too fast.

I guess maybe a lot of this could have been solved with a slightly different setting and longer scenes. I guess the movie just has a very unnatural flow. Information BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, Information BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM. I don't know. It just felt disjointed and didn't work together.

That said, everyone did a fantastic job with what they were given.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm looking forward to seeing this but I'm pretty sure I won't have the same attachment as I had with the original.

Aha ha ha ha!!! You think this is the real Quaid?

IT IS!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing this but I'm pretty sure I won't have the same attachment as I had with the original.

Aha ha ha ha!!! You think this is the real Quaid?

IT IS!!
    Arnold actually had a working version of that holgraphic wrist watch. It's how he was able to hide his affair with his maid for so many years.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It was ok. Definitely a different feel from the original, which isn't necessarily bad (and in fact was better in some ways). But the more serious-feeling plot did not get the development it deserved with the main focus being on the action scenes. I found myself getting bored in the latter parts of some fight or chase scene. (SPOILER)The last fight scene with his "wife" was incredibly random and basically parodied itself.

I was bugged to see it by friends, but otherwise I would say it's not worth paying to see in theaters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You didn't like action scenes? Do you also hate America?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

So do they mention the blue breasted woman?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It wasn't bad. The action scenes were cool and the setting was interesting. The whole "is it real?" aspect was kind of though. It's worth a watch if you want a night out though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    So do they mention the blue breasted woman?
    Blue breasted? No. They had the triple breasted woman, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It wasn't bad. The action scenes were cool and the setting was interesting. The whole "is it real?" aspect was kind of though. It's worth a watch if you want a night out though.
    This is exactly why my friends and I saw it last weekend.