Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest RPG Of All Time

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Greatest RPG Of All Time

We like RPG's, yes? Unfortunately, there has been a relative lack of them in the current generations, and oftentimes they are either mediocre or the RPG elements are tacked on another genre (even to sequels of older RPG's!) So, I ask you, if you could borrow five RPG's from any platform, time, or series and use them as inspiration for the Greatest RPG of All Time, what would it be?

1. Fallout 2: What a Wonderful World
    The Fallout series always had a detailed world with meaningful characters, but what made the series really stand out in this department was Fallout 2. In this game, it was all about influencing the world. Using its extensive history, multiple faction, and variety of locales to create a complex cast of locales that did the narrative justice. The locations were all wrought with their own problems, characters, and solutions, and the game never held your hand on how to deal with these obstacles, making experimentation, research, and decision-making into every area you went an intensive labor of love that rewarded the thorough.

What made this department even better was that the results of your actions were very much real and not always obvious. The whole world was tied together by events affecting them, and your reactions to them had consequences, and helped shape an organic world that responded and evolved due to your actions. Upon finishing the game and getting an extensive epilogue on the fates of the factions, characters, and locations I've touched is one of the most satisfying - or haunting - experiences I've had in gaming, and I'm incredibly disappointed that such a great example of an organic world has been so rarely matched.

2. Final Fantasy VI: Poignant Storytelling Without Insulting Your Intelligence
    I love this game. What made it so great is in an age of HD graphics and professional voice acting, this game gave me so many chills and made me think far more than most any modern game. And why? Well, for one, the game tells a good story without needless complexities and painstakingly over-the-top attempts at creating drama. From Locke to Terra to Celes to Setzer to Shadow, the game's cast was likable and worthy of your sympathy, because they'd let their stories and motivations evolve naturally without feeling forced. The characters, and the plot as a whole, used minimalistic storytelling that was often optional but always gripping. And since these snippets of drama were so understated and uncommon, they made them more powerful.

What this game says is that while a complex, nuanced, plot can be great, a simple, original and heartfelt story can be just as effective without whiny speeches and "character complexities" that serve the bring down plots. In the end, that's the way the story should be in game, evolving naturally without unwanted exposition that fails to improve the quality of the narrative. "Complicated" doesn't mean "smart," and Final Fantasy VI's stories and characters are original and smart without needing to flesh out what isn't wanted or needed.

More to come later. Thoughts? Your own opinions? Post them here.

1. The Legend of Dragoon (PSX) - First major RPG I ever played, well before I got into FF games. 12 years later, I'm still playing it. Points for lastability, even if a lot of elements are cliche.

2. Final Fantasy VII (PSX) - Hands-down my favorite Final Fantasy game. I love the story, the characters, the Materia system, the music, etc. Fantastic game all-around. My only real gripe is the way they released it on 3 discs, when Disc 3 doesn't serve much purpose beyond the final battle and sidequests. It's like they put too much in for 2 discs, but not enough for 3.

3. Final Fantasy I (GBA version) - Easy to pick up and play, relatively short as RPGs go, and lots of good replay value.

4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC) - One of the most immersive RPGs I've ever played. It really feels like living a life inside a game. It was also a massive improvement over its predecessor, Morrowind, and I loved just running around and seeing what I could find, without feeling tied down to a set storyline.

I can't think of a fifth one at the moment. I'm also not suggesting that these 4 are the greatest RPGs ever, but since you were asking what games we would as inspiration -- as if we were going to make the greatest RPG ever -- then I would try to incorporate these elements that made these 4 games so lovable.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy VI is not just the greatest RPG, but the greatest video game of all time.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Final Fantasy VI is not just the greatest RPG, but the greatest video game of all time.
    I think that honor goes to Crash Bandicoot 2, the wrath of Cortex.

Also Crisis core/

I will update this list later, I'm at the office so this'll be short:

1. Crisis core (of course)
    2. Oblivion
    3. FF 9
    4. Fallout 3
    5. FF 6
    6. Skyrim
    7. Pokemon. (it so is)
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I think that honor goes to Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back.
    Fixed that for you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am too ashamed to keep living.
    SEPUKU

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

HOW HAVE YOU IDIOTS NOT SAID THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME, YET?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Because while it was a good game for its age it is dated in every possible way and is merely nostalgia.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because it's an adventure game. Not an RPG.

Also, LttP and Majora's Mask are superior. /smug

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Suikoden II.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

^ That and Chrono Trigger.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Because it's an adventure game. Not an RPG.

Also, LttP and Majora's Mask are superior. /smug
    I agree with Vivi on the first line but I'm willing to debate the second line! ...in another thread, perhaps.

Anyways Super Mario RPG is my favorite RPG of all time for a multitude of reasons which I've detailed elsewhere. I don't know if I'd say it's the best. That title should really probably go to Planescape Torment or something. I dunno, I'll have to think about it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

My top 3 JRPGs: FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon
    My top 3 WRPGs: Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Mass Effect (as a trilogy)

Need to get around to playing the older Fallouts. I loved Fallout 3 when I played it, but when I moved onto New Vegas it was like a veil was lifted from my eyes. It's exactly the same game, but the writing...

...Because I never played it? Seriously, the only Zelda game I've played from start to finish was Link's Awakening. That was a good game, and while it is an RPG of sorts, it's not exactly in the traditional vein like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

If you liked Link's Awakening, check out Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Everything that made Link's Awakening awesome, but better!