Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlus says it is focused on making Persona 5 (MAJOR PERSONA SERIES SPOILERS)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Atlus says it is focused on making Persona 5 (MAJOR PERSONA SERIES SPOILERS)

Just a minor update blurb...

I must say that if the story elements form P4 Arena are hinting to anything, it's that P5 might be something really grand for both the old school fans and new school fans. That or P4 Arena 2...

Anyway, since the dev team is working on the next installment, what are some things you would like to see in P5?

smurf YES MOTHER smurfERS!

And I'm not sure what to ask of this game. If it is indeed a follow up to P4 Arena, I don't know how they are going to pull off the Social Links again since it's all the same characters we've been with.

Really, if we get another game in the same style, I really hope they bring back the three types of Physical attacsk as well as keeping the side effects of each type that were added in 4.

Blog Entries

I typically almost all things by Atlus.

Among a select few, Thousand Arms is one game I just couldn't part with when sticking all my other games in storage.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Big Hands View Post

And I'm not sure what to ask of this game. If it is indeed a follow up to P4 Arena, I don't know how they are going to pull off the Social Links again since it's all the same characters we've been with.
    I'm sure it will be an original cast, but I wouldn't be surprised if characters from P3/4 show up in the background.

Really, if we get another game in the same style, I really hope they bring back the three types of Physical attacsk as well as keeping the side effects of each type that were added in 4.
    YES!!! This is one of the few things about P4 tht irked me, it really made several of the arcana not nearly as useful and I ultimately dropped Chie for like 90% of the game cause melee is just not useful for the Press Turn system in that game.

I also want a more forgiving economy system than P4's. It's difficult to really customize when you have to scramble for funds all the time. Though I want to keep P4's shuffle card system, it was much more interesting and strategic than P3s.

I also want more bizarre Social Links. P4s were pretty tame compared to some of the weird nonsense going on in P3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

I'm sure it will be an original cast, but I wouldn't be surprised if characters from P3/4 show up in the background.

YES!!! This is one of the few things about P4 tht irked me, it really made several of the arcana not nearly as useful and I ultimately dropped Chie for like 90% of the game cause melee is just not useful for the Press Turn system in that game.

I also want a more forgiving economy system than P4's. It's difficult to really customize when you have to scramble for funds all the time. Though I want to keep P4's shuffle card system, it was much more interesting and strategic than P3s.

I also want more bizarre Social Links. P4s were pretty tame compared to some of the weird nonsense going on in P3.
    For the most party I think the social links in each were pretty evenly split, though Sun gives it to P3. That is easily my favorite social link.

Articles
    Blog Entries

*pelvic thrust*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most party I think the social links in each were pretty evenly split, though Sun gives it to P3. That is easily my favorite social link.
    I found P4's to be a little tame. The most amusing ones ended up being your more eccentric teammates (Kanji, Rise, Naoto) but I always felt a bit cheated by having your teammates acting as separate social links. I mean the Devil Social Link starts off amusing enough but then takes a 180 in a rather boring direction halfway through, unlike Tanaka who is the epitome of his arcana from beginning to end of your whole ordeal with him. It didn't help that two of P4's social links (Hermit and Empress) are basically taking the place of Elizabeth's requests Side Quests and don't amount to much in terms of meeting interesting personalities, I mean the Elizabeth dates made her a far more interesting and endearing character than Margarete's Social Link did for her. Sun is still pretty cool if you go the acting route, and Death is still amusing but the others are not quite as "OMG we're really going there are we?". There are some high quality social links in P4 (Nanako and Dojima for instance) but I don't feel that the whole package of social links are as good across the board compared to P3 which had maybe two or three really boring social links overall.

Honestly, I would love to see some expansion of the Social Links and perhaps put into account Reverse/Angry as a major factor, maybe have a bad link with someone can grant you some powerful Personas but with side effects. Or how about social links between social links? What happens if you try to hang out with two social links that don't like each other? Maybe do special group meet-ups like the ones in P4 to build camaraderie among all your social links to get access to other bonuses like additional XP bonus multipliers between arcana that are friends. There are some interesting possibilities in here. I also would like to deal with actual cheating since P3 ignored it and P4 made it impossible to do.

Also, fix the Navigator, while Fuuka may be more annoying that Rise to listen to, she's infinitely more useful since she actually scans enemies and tells you info whereas Rise only tells you what you learn through trial and error.

[QUOTE=Wolf Kanno;3111828]
    I found P4's to be a little tame. The most amusing ones ended up being your more eccentric teammates (Kanji, Rise, Naoto) but I always felt a bit cheated by having your teammates acting as separate social links. I mean the Devil Social Link starts off amusing enough but then takes a 180 in a rather boring direction halfway through, unlike Tanaka who is the epitome of his arcana from beginning to end of your whole ordeal with him. It didn't help that two of P4's social links (Hermit and Empress) are basically taking the place of Elizabeth's requests Side Quests and don't amount to much in terms of meeting interesting personalities, I mean the Elizabeth dates made her a far more interesting and endearing character than Margarete's Social Link did for her. Sun is still pretty cool if you go the acting route, and Death is still amusing but the others are not quite as "OMG we're really going there are we?". There are some high quality social links in P4 (Nanako and Dojima for instance) but I don't feel that the whole package of social links are as good across the board compared to P3 which had maybe two or three really boring social links overall.

Honestly, I would love to see some expansion of the Social Links and perhaps put into account Reverse/Angry as a major factor, maybe have a bad link with someone can grant you some powerful Personas but with side effects. Or how about social links between social links? What happens if you try to hang out with two social links that don't like each other? Maybe do special group meet-ups like the ones in P4 to build camaraderie among all your social links to get access to other bonuses like additional XP bonus multipliers between arcana that are friends. There are some interesting possibilities in here. I also would like to deal with actual cheating since P3 ignored it and P4 made it impossible to do.

Also, fix the Navigator, while Fuuka may be more annoying that Rise to listen to, she's infinitely more useful since she actually scans enemies and tells you info whereas Rise only tells you what you learn through trial and error.
    I will agree on Empress and Hermit. Those did seem kind of cop-out ish.

And on the note of Devil, I won't say I though she was boring, but Tanaka was vastly superior.

I disagree on your party though. I Loved building social links with your individual group members and how that reflected upon their own persona's strength.

But Yes, there needs to be a bit more complexity to the Social Links.

I would love to have a dual Friendship and enemy paths, perhaps each leading up to a different Persona after the work rather then a stronger one with some side effects.

First, I want to see more Social Links. Give us more than a year, and give us more Links to develop.

Second, I want to see the addition of Battle Fusion. I've been plotting around with a system a little in my head, but I think it would be an interesting twist to the battle system.

Third, I want to see a continuation of the story of the blue haired boy. I really, really don't like the ending of Persona 3 FES, mostly because it feels like a shift from both the original P3 and P3P, where we are pretty much told that the protagonist will survive. Elizabeth is looking for a way to bring him back, and, frankly, after everything I've been through with the various social links, I can't believe any of your party would abandon you. Mitsuru Kirijo especially. The story of P3's protagonist just feels kind of in limbo to me, and I want some resolution. Granted, the character's arc may be complete, with the character having found their Answer, and the sacrifice. But with the soul still in existence, albeit as the seal, and with Elizabeth out questing for a way to free him, and Ryoji's last words, I still feel that we're waiting for something to happen.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    First, I want to see more Social Links. Give us more than a year, and give us more Links to develop.

Second, I want to see the addition of Battle Fusion. I've been plotting around with a system a little in my head, but I think it would be an interesting twist to the battle system.

Third, I want to see a continuation of the story of the blue haired boy. I really, really don't like the ending of Persona 3 FES, mostly because it feels like a shift from both the original P3 and P3P, where we are pretty much told that the protagonist will survive. Elizabeth is looking for a way to bring him back, and, frankly, after everything I've been through with the various social links, I can't believe any of your party would abandon you. Mitsuru Kirijo especially. The story of P3's protagonist just feels kind of in limbo to me, and I want some resolution. Granted, the character's arc may be complete, with the character having found their Answer, and the sacrifice. But with the soul still in existence, albeit as the seal, and with Elizabeth out questing for a way to free him, and Ryoji's last words, I still feel that we're waiting for something to happen.
    Okay, Persona 3 and 4, with only the year in game, are easily the longest turn based RPG's I've ever played. Why, pray tell, would they need to turn around and make it longer?

And I will just say for now I am entirely in opposition to you saying that you don't like the ending of Persona 3 FES. I absolutely adored the resolution given by The Answer. And it was clear why the group hasn't revived him. If they were to do so, it would mean he would no longer be protecting us, thus allowing Nix to come do the thing she was trying to do, ending the world and what not.

Until enough of the world changes, and that Desire for Nyx is lessened greatly, they can't bring him back without causing the death of the world.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I wouldn't mind seeing a two-year duration. You could easily have a mini climax in the first year and then the realisation that things aren't over yet.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Okay, Persona 3 and 4, with only the year in game, are easily the longest turn based RPG's I've ever played. Why, pray tell, would they need to turn around and make it longer?

And I will just say for now I am entirely in opposition to you saying that you don't like the ending of Persona 3 FES. I absolutely adored the resolution given by The Answer. And it was clear why the group hasn't revived him. If they were to do so, it would mean he would no longer be protecting us, thus allowing Nix to come do the thing she was trying to do, ending the world and what not.

Until enough of the world changes, and that Desire for Nyx is lessened greatly, they can't bring him back without causing the death of the world.
    You can never have too much Persona!

That's kind of the point. Right now, everything is sort of in a holding position. Erebus is still out there, it just can't reach Nyx, thus Nyx doesn't take humanity's will to survive. It's a stalemate, not really a resolution, in my mind.

Also, after the main character's initial victory, Ryoji tells the team not to worry, that things are going to continue for everyone, including both the main character and Ryoji, which is indicative that this is not the end of the protagonist.

Then too, as far as I can tell, Erebus has always existed, yet a seal was never before needed, because it was never strong enough to do anything. Or, perhaps, the feelings of despair that made up Erebus existed, but were scattered amongst the other repressed feelings of the billions of Shadows, and were only a threat when they got strong enough to unite, in which case it might be possible to break them up again.

I'm not sure. But as long as the main character and Erebus are locked in this eternal stalemate, I don't feel that this story has a proper ending. It has to be broken, one way or another.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The problem here is the battle that is required to 'resolve' that story is not one that can really be adresses by fighting. It's an emotion shared by countless people. A desire for an end. Are we going to be playing a game where the point is to go up to each individual and console them on their problems? Are we going to run for political office and fight to fix what ails the people of the world through better handling of government money?

P3 works it doesn't magically remove the negative emotions of people. Those emotions are still there, and likely always will be. MC was able to use the power of the Wild Card to prevent the world from having to deal with a creature who is constantly fueled by their own emotions, something that is pretty much a never ending source of power.

P4 works for a different reason. Firstly the fight, for the most part, isn't a battle against something so surreal as human emotion, it's a mystery where one individual is doing things for his own individual reasons. (There was more to it if you did the true end, but regardless it was something a bit more grounded in reason.) It was a plot that could, reasonably, have an conclusive end.

Really what I'm getting at is Persona isn't a power capable of saving MC, defeating shadows isn't a way capable of saving MC. The only thing that could do that is to change the will of people, to make the majority of the world feel as this no longer needs to happen. And to be honest I wouldn't want that to happen.

One of the things I love most about P3 and P4, notably P4, is that no matter what one goes through they will always carry around the more negative aspects of themselves. Even with powerful bonds formed, it's incredibly difficult to shake off ones personal demons. It takes a lot of extremes for your characters to overcome those.

Close personal bonds that take that much time and effort to form, and still a person isn't entirely able to let go of those weaknesses. How exactly is it reasonable to pull this off on a large scale?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the one year premise as NeoCracker said, the games are pretty damn long to begin with and I feel the pacing of the 1 years (really its more like 9 months for both entries) is pretty much perfect as it is long enough to get a lot done in both the story and gameplay, but short enough to make 100% completion very challenging on a first play-through. I mean the games thrive on New Game +.

As for Minato and the ending to the Answer, I'm with NC, I felt the Answer presented a pretty good conclusion to the P3 cast. Minato (P3 MC) found his answer and made his choice, and I feel the heroic sacrifice he made is fitting. Erebus is pretty much a standard Lovecraftian monster so I can't really see it going down without someone either wiping out mankind or forcing all of it to reach some perfect hive mind status. Considering Elizabeth is trying to stop it for good, I can see her contemplating either as a viable option.

With that said, I don't think it's implausible that he may return in future installments. He's a very popular character with the fanbase and P4, and especially P4 Arena tease the player with the prospect of finding a way to free him, so I think it's very plausible Atlus would cater to the fanbase and find a way to set him free, but I kind of hope he keeps his ending. I am actually hoping that he would be a future DLC superboss for P4Arena, Elizabeth's comments about him in some of her victory quotes makes him sound frightening powerful.

I actually want fusion spells to return, I was pretty peeved that P4 and P3P dropped them for a far more tedious alternative. Though if they bring it back, do it like Persona 2 and have the fusion spells with other party members. If they are doing the party member social link thing still, just have it another convenient upgrade bonus.

I also hope they keep referencing the older games and having walk-on of older characters, though I would to see it expanded to earlier entries like have the party go to an indie band concert and see Ekichi's band from P2. Little things like that would be cool.

I also kind of hope that P3P gave them some ideas on how to utilize and expand the gender option cause I think it would be cool to play-through the game as a guy and then on NG+ play-through as a girl.

Also, remove the dizzy status effect and just return the Press Turn System back to P3 rules cause melee seriously loses its edge thanks to having to critical hit or exploit an elemental weakness twice on an enemy or character to lose a turn.Especially now that the game has implemented the ability for party members to help each other up when knocked down.

Keep the weather skill forecast system, it was neat and keep P4's version of the Shuffle Draw, it's way more interesting than P3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I like the one year premise as NeoCracker said, the games are pretty damn long to begin with and I feel the pacing of the 1 years (really its more like 9 months for both entries) is pretty much perfect as it is long enough to get a lot done in both the story and gameplay, but short enough to make 100% completion very challenging on a first play-through. I mean the games thrive on New Game +.

As for Minato and the ending to the Answer, I'm with NC, I felt the Answer presented a pretty good conclusion to the P3 cast. Minato (P3 MC) found his answer and made his choice, and I feel the heroic sacrifice he made is fitting. Erebus is pretty much a standard Lovecraftian monster so I can't really see it going down without someone either wiping out mankind or forcing all of it to reach some perfect hive mind status. Considering Elizabeth is trying to stop it for good, I can see her contemplating either as a viable option.
    I dunno. I mean, Erebus only got so huge and powerful because of the despair of the situation. Ryoji's role as the Appriser, Strega running the cult, those drove people into the despair which fueled Erebus's power. I mean, the entire latter half of Persona 3 is focused on exploring this aspect, and the constant downward turn that the city, then the country, and eventually the whole world is taking. Yet, after the seal, that slows and stops. Yet the seal only prevents Erebus from reaching Nyx, it doesn't change people's feelings. The feelings change on their own, without the looming threat of the End, the preying of the cult, the Dark Hour, and the Shadows, people began to recover. During the two years since, the world has basically gone back to normal, as you can tell in Persona 4. Thus, Erebus too should have gone back to what he was before P3, when he existed, but was never a threat.

With that said, I don't think it's implausible that he may return in future installments. He's a very popular character with the fanbase and P4, and especially P4 Arena tease the player with the prospect of finding a way to free him, so I think it's very plausible Atlus would cater to the fanbase and find a way to set him free, but I kind of hope he keeps his ending. I am actually hoping that he would be a future DLC superboss for P4Arena, Elizabeth's comments about him in some of her victory quotes makes him sound frightening powerful.
    Despite P4 having more powerful gameplay systems, Minato is implied to be one of the most powerful characters in the Persona-verse. As Yu's story shows, Elizabeth was just testing him, wielding strength greater than his in an attempt to judge his heart and his powers with the Wild Card. However, when she faces Minato, she flat out states that he is more powerful than she is, and that she never expected to find someone with greater strength than her.

I actually want fusion spells to return, I was pretty peeved that P4 and P3P dropped them for a far more tedious alternative. Though if they bring it back, do it like Persona 2 and have the fusion spells with other party members. If they are doing the party member social link thing still, just have it another convenient upgrade bonus.
    Yes.

I also hope they keep referencing the older games and having walk-on of older characters, though I would to see it expanded to earlier entries like have the party go to an indie band concert and see Ekichi's band from P2. Little things like that would be cool.
    Would be cool, but I'm not sure it's likely to see Persona and Persona 2 in there. They've been treating P3 as kind of the birth of the series (which fits in my mind, as I feel that's when the games became their own series rather than just a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei. I'd like it, but not sure how much we're going to see. Probably just minor things like Maya/Tatsuya from the Hermit Link.

I also kind of hope that P3P gave them some ideas on how to utilize and expand the gender option cause I think it would be cool to play-through the game as a guy and then on NG+ play-through as a girl.

Also, remove the dizzy status effect and just return the Press Turn System back to P3 rules cause melee seriously loses its edge thanks to having to critical hit or exploit an elemental weakness twice on an enemy or character to lose a turn.Especially now that the game has implemented the ability for party members to help each other up when knocked down.
    They definitely need to go back to 3 types of physical attacks. And I would be interested in seeing more female protagonists as well.

Keep the weather skill forecast system, it was neat and keep P4's version of the Shuffle Draw, it's way more interesting than P3s.
    What specifically did you prefer about P4's Shuffle Time over P3's?