Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Have a most wonderful day

This thread is going to be a little bit difficult. Half of you are antisocial mental cases with a debilitating fear of face-to-face interaction and the other half are bitter, jaded old bastards who hate the human race with all the strength you can muster. There's some cross over as well, but I digress.

When's the last time you just said or did something nice to bring a smile to a stranger's face? Yesterday I was driving along and I saw two young girls standing in the back of a ute parked out front of a house and they were just waving at people. Had to smile. Being friendly to strangers is an awesome thing to do. Why do kids understand this but we seem to forget?

At Open Day yesterday we had these little frisbees to give out on tours but I saw this one kid who was like four and looked bored as hell so I gave him a frisbee and it pretty much made his day. He was super excited after that, tossin' it around with his older sister. Later I heard another ambassador say how they didn't give out a frisbee to a little kid who asked for one because they were meant for tours and I just wanted to sadface. Poor kid just wanted a frisbee and we had like a dozen spare at the end of the day anyway.

Doing things is probably too hard for you all so yeah I think we all should set a target to say one nice thing to someone we don't know everyday. Think of the goddamn joy we would spread.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, Jiro, by pointing out my glaring flaws and making me feel like poop on the end of a rotten stick, you have really inspired me to be nice to everyone around me!

And by that I mean you've inspired me to be a whole lot nicer than you so that later YOU will be the stick poop. Do you hear me? You will be the stick poop.

Today I let someone in front of me at the store because they had only one item and I had a whole buggyload. I also spent 12 hours yesterday painting my bff's new house for NO money or free stuff because I love her and it needed to be done. AND I brought them lunch so they wouldn't have to stop painting.

Feeling like poop on a stick yet?

EDIT: I know you said strangers. Just decided to talk about non-strangers too.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't feel like poop on a stick but I am heartened by your dedication to our cause! Giving non-strangers compliments is good too, so certainly don't avoid it! But try and spread the joy to those who might not have any friends

Blog Entries

It's not much but I often stop to let people cross after they've been standing there for 10 minutes waiting and no one will let them cross even though it's the law.

Or opening doors for old ladies. I also help people are work all the time with everything since I almost always have all of my work done way ahead of schedule.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I try to be nice and do small things out in public whenever I see an opportunity. I also do the same thing at work. Example: If I see a temp struggling with a table full of heavy parts, I'll help get it to where it needs to be. Just because I am QA doesn't mean I am above such things.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I try to be extra super nice to people on Twitter. Does that count?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Our sweet little interns are all leaving my company for the summer and they'e all super shy and timid, so when they came to my desk to turn in their building passes and to tell me they were leaving I jumped up to give them hugs and wish them luck on their journeys, etc etc. They seemed surprised but they were smiling when they left.

I tend to bring smiles to many people's faces daily particularly when I'm working. It can be something as simple as saying "good day" or just smiling at them. There was even a recent newspaper article about me and my work mate and how it's rare in this town to get good service with cheerful, encouraging smiles and such and how we were the positive exception to the rule. All in all, the Mr. Smiles philosophy is working as intended, and perhaps soon I'll have acolytes spreading my message of happiness to the Finnish masses.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Maybe this is just a thing that normal people do, but I've been trying recently to make a point of speaking my mind about trivial things and talking to people when I want to talk to them. If I see someone with a cute top, I tell them, "hey that is a cute top!" even if they are total strangers!

Blog Entries

With working at Mcdonalds we have to give customer"s a good experience even when im not in the best moods or having a bad day i still try to make people smile. There also have been times were its been the opposite and the customer's have made me smile.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I don't feel like poop on a stick but I am heartened by your dedication to our cause! Giving non-strangers compliments is good too, so certainly don't avoid it! But try and spread the joy to those who might not have any friends
    I think being super nice to oneself defeats the purpose of the exercise, but if you say so.

Today I helped a lady in my orientation group find her way back to our classroom.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

foa you have already demonstrated an excellent ability to be nice to others! I am worried that your lack of self esteem is bringing you down. I want you to know that you are lovely and should always wear a smile for it is a lovely smile to be worn!

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, I'm really nice.

In FFXI.

Not in the real world, obviously. The real world is full of arseholes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whenever I see a stranger crying out in public, I always listen to them talk about their problems. You would be surprised how many people will open up to strangers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I get smiles from strangers when I wave them ahead of me when getting on the bus. This happens pretty much every day at some point, since I catch four buses a day.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!