Thread: Proposition of a mano-a-mano and preferably 3d fighter: Watchmen vs Expendables

Default Proposition of a mano-a-mano and preferably 3d fighter: Watchmen vs Expendables

I know. Too much, too soon. I know. "The Expendables wouldn't work in a fighter." I know. "It doesn't make sense to cross universes." I know. "A lot of the Watchmen are dead."
    I don't care.

Characters naturally include main protagonists from the films Watchmen and Expendables. I propose this because I would like to see a fighter based on Watchmen and I would also like to see a fighter based on Expendables. Obviously, one is more likely than the other. Also as obvious, Watchmen doesn’t offer a very large selection of characters (of course, I guess that didn’t stop Mortal Kombat).

Mister Manhattan will not be playable but will play a significant role as a god-like figure throughout the conflict. One stage of combat includes the red sands of Mars, made temporarily “inhabitable” by Mister Manhattan’s manipulation of atoms.
    If battles last too long, some consequence may befall both fighters (i.e. on Mars, Mister Manhattan will remove the air shield that allows the fighters to breathe, very quickly draining both health bars until one or both fighters fall, the latter case occurring if neither fighter managed to “pull ahead”. In New York, taking too long will expose both fighters to instant defeat by way of Ozymandias’ Manhattan Device).
    Characters have one of two backups, either an attack from a “partner” (such as Owlman’s Archie or Mister Manhattan for Silk Spectre) or powerful weapon (such as Hale Caesar’s tank-buster).
    The battle-system will include weapons and especially firearms and will employ an ammo count which sometimes requires characters to brake and reload but the number of times a character can reload slowly drops. Lee Christmas, who throws knives, doesn’t have to reload, but his reload count drops anyway. As such, he is a character with one of the “lowest” reload counts. Also obvious, at least to me, that the Comedian will be the only member of the Watchmen with a reload count.
    Ongoing story relies upon Mister Manhattan granting glimpses of characters’ histories and/or potential futures dependent on some unforeseen decision. Main plot would revolve around Manhattan testing humanity as he’s very tempted to destroy Earth (very few options as to plot). For a final opponent, Manhattan will randomly select a character, bolster their strength, and grant an infinite reload count.

Ideas for Character-specific moves:
    Owlman’s Grappling Claw [like MK-Scorpion’s sting]
    Rorschach’s Grappling Claw (stolen from Owlman’s hideout)
    Rorschach’s Random Trash (surprisingly useful)
    Silk Spectre’s Call For Help [either Owlman or Comedian will strike the opponent] (I know, sexist)
    Ozymandias’ Bullet Catch [self-explanatory] (can also be used as a toppling maneuver)

Barney Ross’ Sea Plane (calls in air support)
    …I got nothing else, really…

Maybe the past generation of Watchmen will be playable too. Just, you know, in their movie outfits. ‘Cause the comic outfits were too… comical.

Any one like it so far? Open to more suggestions, 'cause this is obviously only half-baked.

Why not just pit the Watchmen against other DC characters?

I had to know someone would ask that. I guess I just want the Expendables in a fighting game but I can't think of a good plot to force them into a tournament without pitting them against others who already have a better plot excuse.

They are the expendables. Someone paid them too compete.

We now have a 100% solid and believable reason that matches them perfectly.

Yeah, I guess that'd work. But for the Expendables to fight in their own game, there's have to be a top-contender: a Shao Kahn, a Darkseid, an M. Bison.

I mean, if the Watchmen had just their own game, the mastermind behind the plot would obviously be Ozymandias. I don't know who would qualify in Expendables unless we add cast from the sequel then the ultimate rival could be either Jean Vilain, Church, or Trench.