Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Bands We Listened to When We Were Young and Stupid

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

*sees the posts saying the Beastie Boys aren't all that*
    *weeps a little*
    *puts on Paul's Boutique*
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

It might be a slight exaggeration to say that if you don't like Paul's Boutique, you don't like hip-hop, but it probably isn't much of one.

Did I read correctly a post implying Iron Maiden was trout too? Get out.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wtf just said they didn't like Maiden?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Wtf just said they didn't like Maiden?
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    It wasn't until years later that Guilty Gear's soundtracks led to me checking out Iron Maiden of all people and realising I'd probably dodged a bullet in terms of a life of liking awful crap.
    I'm hoping I just read that wrong.

U2 also, once upon a time, actually wasn't terrible, but they have been terrible for so long that I'll forgive anyone who hasn't bothered listening to their old stuff from when they were good, even though it was ubiquitous when I was growing up.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Blog Entries

I really liked U2's old albums. I still like Blink 182, too. But not that "I Miss You" trout.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Blink 182 has been historically terrible for like two decades. That's five generations of being able to pick out someone who owns/owned a copy of "Dude Ranch".

Everyone in high school shunned me for not liking them and Linkin Park. I'm gonna go listen to my space robot music and screaming Canadians now.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I remember back in late elementary school I smurfing LOVED DragonForce...
    Oh thank god that phase didn't last too long.
    There was also plain-white-t's.

Actually.... now that i think about it... there really wasn't much I listened to as a kid I still don't like, save those two.
    Meh, I'm only 17 so get back to me in a few years. In time I may want to slap myself for the stuff I listen to now.

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    Bowling for Soup.
    You take that back, now.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't believe there are bad bands/artists. I do believe there are terrible songs, just as there are fantastic songs out there. The best thing to remember is that it's a matter of opinion or did you guys learn nothing from the song Tribute by Tenacious D? The second thing to remember is that every artist has good songs and bad songs. The good songs may not suit your aesthetics but it is still a good song and you could listen to it and others like it without clawing your eyeballs out and ramming 21" dildo's down your ears until you've gone and literally skull smurfed yourself.

I mean sure some songs are more appealing than others in terms of melody, there are certain groupings of sound and notes which are not as pleasant to the brain to listen to. Some are at times outright painful to hear, stuff like this for example! (I do know 2 of the guys in that band, this is some of their better stuff believe it or not). Much more famously a band what I feel pushes on some of their albums and some of their songs at what is pleasurable would be Nine Inch Nails.

Now whilst growing up I probably listened to a lot of music because it was the cool stuff to listen to. Heaven knows I probably would never have gotten so deeply involved in the metal scene to the deep dark depths of industrial, black metal and death metal if it wasn't for those around me. I certainly don't delve as deep as I did these days. I'm much more comfortable listening to something like Train's Drops Of Jupiter than listening to something like Prostitute Disfigurement (that is actually the name of a grindcore band).

I would actually defend a fair few artists that are commonly pointed out as the worst artists in the world. Linkin Park for example have ceaselessly sought to innovate their music from album to album, if we take the 2 lives albums out and look at the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7! yes a whopping 7! studio albums they have produced or allowed to be produced (yes, we're counting Reanimation because that is definitely important and Collision Course because it too to an extent is important) using their music. Each album has artistically sounded extremely different. Even their latest offering Living Things is different despite actually being the album most similar to their origins on the Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums (for their origins you have to skip Reanimation because it is a remix album) It features heavier dance beats introduced in the A Thousand Suns album and the tendency to utilize audio clips from famous speeches throughout history or news programs, it also features more raw punk style guitar riffs as witnessed on the Minutes To Midnight album however it has a composition and feels much more like the earlier albums produced by the band, the fact that Chester literally screams his guts out for a song (Victimize) which albeit their shortest song ever packs as much explosive energy as M80 did on the Papa Roach, Love Hate Tragedy album. I'm not saying every song they ever produced is gold. Hell no, personally I've less time to listen to songs such as The Little Things That You Give Away (I get the idea there but the song was far too slow, Chester sounded like he was at the breaking point for 99% of the song and it just didn't make me feel anything) than I do to listen to songs such as In The End or With You. To write a band of as irrevocably bad based on what evidence is probably the worst sin any music fan could ever commit. On this point Dak... you need to give your girlfriend the spanking of her lifetime, she needs to know that music is important regardless of who makes it.

Now, I'm proud to admit that I listen to songs from 99% of the musicians I grew up listening to, I'm even more proud to admit that I now listen to music from 99% of the musicians my sister grew up listening to and enjoy the songs. Some of these songs whilst being far removed from my own interests at that age do remind me of events and times where I was happy or had fun often in better times before my life became so complicated. Listening to these songs helps me take my mind of things.

I'm also pretty happy to announce my music tastes have grown exponentially and if it's one thing I can thank the assholes I have worked with for 5 years it's probably this. I've grown to enjoy Country music, Jazz, Easy Listening, Folk and a whole host of other sounds I used to hate blindly because rather than find I like the entire genre I found artists and songs I have the time of day for.

Music is and always will be an escape, a means to take your mind somewhere, you hear Mmm Bop by Hanson and you if you're my age remember being 13 and thinking you were all that as you skateboarded or rode a bmx somewhere. You smile, nod your head and sing along either inside or loud and proud regardless. In 15 years time, those 14 year old girls screaming Justin Bieber's name will be probably just the same with the song Baby. Lyrically it isn't important it will however be important because it's a piece of their life they can carry with them until they die that reminds them that life wasn't always so damn complicated with bills, relationships and jobs ect.

The idea that someone can arbitrarily come along to my ipod or my itunes collection and declare my music tastes to be trout? I find that offensive to the highest order I never like it when people do that even when they're scowling over something like Carly Rae Jepsen having a place in there (Yes, I do actually like Call Me Maybe bite my hairy white ass if you have a problem with that) or the fact that I've got such a wide variety of music mashed in together I'm proud of that wildly varied taste, I'm proud that I like some songs based on nothing more than it made me smile or I had a good night out dicking around with my friends to it, in the case of Call Me Maybe I'm happy because I was out in a club and met a fun girl because I was stupid enough to do a moronic dance which she saw as funny. I don't do it to people, I won't do it to people so people had better if they know what is good for them not do it to me.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I don't believe there are bad bands/artists.
    Um, yes there are.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    Oh, I have a good one, though.

S Club 7.
    Nobody else touched this but I have to agree. Venga Boys too. But man, there ain't no party like an S Club party.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I actually still listen to most of the music I listened to when I was growing up.
    Me too!

You guys, I was SO JAZZED to see Spice Girls at the Olympics. Omg.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Venga Boys
    Venga Boys is great.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I don't smurfing know what this thread is about so I'm just listing music that makes me go "oh yeah"

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah it's pretty much turned into a guilty (or not so guilty?) pleasures thread and I am A-OK with that.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I listen to almost everything. The bands or songs I hate I hate with a fiery passion, but otherwise I can be fine with just about anything.

I have no shame that I was mad over the Backstreet Boys. I have no shame that I will still jam out to them.

Maybe I just don't have a lot of shame.

Signature by rubah. I think.