Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 eva

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    But you have to. There's no other way!
    But... since when is foa bound by universal rules?
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I would never, ever want this and I would never, ever subject another person to this torture.
    Hitler?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At least then I'd have the time and hopefully the means to learn everything I've ever wanted to learn and master all the skills I've wanted.

I would probably just get a dog and choose him to be my eternal companion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, no, you wouldn't. If you were immortal, you could never retire. Nobody would provide an unlimited-term pension to an immortal, so you'd have to work full time until the collapse of civilization. Furthermore, in order to have an existence free of incessant harassment, you'd have to keep your immortality secret. I would say the maximum age you could claim while looking to be 20ish (cellular regeneration would rejuvenate you to the point where you stopped developing, around age 18) would be 40, so every 20 years you would have to fake your death and start anew. With no credentials, in order to get a non-fast-food job, you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school -- assume you put aside enough money before your fake-death to afford this--leaving you with a maximum career length of 16 years--not really long enough to build a new life before you would have to "die" again. Rinse and repeat until you are ready to hasten the destruction of all life on Earth.

Blog Entries

smurf you, I can live in the smurfing woods. I've also seen Highlander and I can just do that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No internet in the woods there, big guy.

Blog Entries

You're an asshole.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Actually, no, you wouldn't. If you were immortal, you could never retire. Nobody would provide an unlimited-term pension to an immortal, so you'd have to work full time until the collapse of civilization. Furthermore, in order to have an existence free of incessant harassment, you'd have to keep your immortality secret. I would say the maximum age you could claim while looking to be 20ish (cellular regeneration would rejuvenate you to the point where you stopped developing, around age 18) would be 40, so every 20 years you would have to fake your death and start anew. With no credentials, in order to get a non-fast-food job, you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school -- assume you put aside enough money before your fake-death to afford this--leaving you with a maximum career length of 16 years--not really long enough to build a new life before you would have to "die" again. Rinse and repeat until you are ready to hasten the destruction of all life on Earth.
    Sell your organs on the black market. It's fine because they'll magically grow back. Just need to spend a decade or so to learn surgery.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

So I could just chop off all my limbs repeatedly and they'll instantly grow back, right? So I chop off my legs and then by the time I chopped off one of my arms the legs have already grown back? I could find out what my own liver tastes like, and my brain...

...I could totally eat my own brain.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school
    AWESOME!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah but I wouldn't have to study because I'd know everything already. I'd just go back to school and smurf all the hot chicks.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I never understood the not wanting to live forever thing. Even if "living forever" meant "turning into a drooling old person forever" (which I don't usually construe it to mean), I would much rather live forever as a drooling old person than die. Like, hook me up to the internet and I will happily be a drooling old person forever.

"But you'll see everyone you love die!" Sucks yeah, but unfortunately you're probably going to see a lot of people you love die during your normal lifetime anyway, so *shrug*
    I'm with you on all but the living forever as a drooling old person. If living forever meant becoming an eternal case of Alzheimers or a physical invalid with no hope of ever curing myself or replacing my decaying organic body with mechanical bits (both of which I admit are likely to happen eventually in some form) I'd rather be dead.

But yeah, I've never heard a good argument for not living forever. Particularly when the most likely alternative to living forever is non-existence. Existing is definitely superior to not. And the watching people you love die part is always a bulltrout argument. It'll happen anyway. I've already watched people I love die. And you know what? Life goes on and I find new people to love. Sorry, but nobody is so special that I won't get over them dying given enough time.

As for who I'd ask to be immortal with me, I guess I'd be obligated to ask my wife. Though part of me wonders if I'd want to ask anybody. Sure, it sounds awesome to be palling around with someone forever, but forever is a long time. Even being able to promise you'd stay with someone for an entire lifetime could be a stretch if you happen to pick the wrong person, or even if events in your lives simply take you apart. If you both live forever, you're almost guaranteed to split up or hate each other eventually. I'm not sure why anyone would necessarily want that.

Life's short but there's only so much to it. I'd happily go when I reach old age. It would be a cycle of turgid experiences you've witnessed millions of times before and people dying. smurf that. Existing for the sake of existing is already dragging.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Criminally Vulgar View Post
    I'd happily go when I reach old age. It would be a cycle of turgid experiences you've witnessed millions of times before and people dying.
    I don't know about other people here, but there's a lot of stuff I would like to do in my life and I know I won't have the time to get through even 10% of it before I inevitably die. I would welcome an extended existence.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Danielle, but only if she'd want to live forever. Forcing such things on people is a tricky thing to consider.

If not Danielle, then obviously it would have to be Sir Alex Ferguson, ending the rumours he's going to retire each season forever.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!