Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What worked in this game

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

nah, ff13-2 did it just fine, and uncharted series does it pretty well too. but i agree that it's one of my fave parts of modern gaming

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by dunk
    It worked very good i think in a such a story driven game. There are times i wished there was more freedom in the citys too explore different nuts and crannys but i can forgive that with such an amazing story experience.
    I have no idea what "amazing story experience" you are talking about; we must have been playing different games. I will say that I thought the characters' back stories were developed very well in the first 7-8 chapters, which is the only part of the game where the writing can be praised even slightly. The "story," what little there was, after the overplot was introduced in chapter 9 was just a joke. Really, absolutely the worst I've ever seen in a JRPG. You have the entire plot spoon-fed two you in several few minute conversations with the main villain, who also conveniently introduces himself to you as the villain as he tells you his secret plan. It's like a bad James Bond film, fantasy style.

That bugged me even more than the obnoxiously linear gameplay. And the only time the gameplay was remotely interesting was when I first started exploring Pulse, which was interesting. But then you're shoved back onto the narrow pathway to continue the very specific path the game draws out for you. I simply cannot imagine what anyone could get from a replay.

Articles
    Blog Entries

westly get out of this thread >:{

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dunk
    It worked very good i think in a such a story driven game. There are times i wished there was more freedom in the citys too explore different nuts and crannys but i can forgive that with such an amazing story experience.
    I have no idea what "amazing story experience" you are talking about; we must have been playing different games. I will say that I thought the characters' back stories were developed very well in the first 7-8 chapters, which is the only part of the game where the writing can be praised even slightly. The "story," what little there was, after the overplot was introduced in chapter 9 was just a joke. Really, absolutely the worst I've ever seen in a JRPG. You have the entire plot spoon-fed two you in several few minute conversations with the main villain, who also conveniently introduces himself to you as the villain as he tells you his secret plan. It's like a bad James Bond film, fantasy style.

That bugged me even more than the obnoxiously linear gameplay. And the only time the gameplay was remotely interesting was when I first started exploring Pulse, which was interesting. But then you're shoved back onto the narrow pathway to continue the very specific path the game draws out for you. I simply cannot imagine what anyone could get from a replay.
    I'm on my fourth replay. You and your silly opinions.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I worry about you.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't worry. we have an intervention planned.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Did they change the name of the ban button to intervention button?

This is by faaaaar the worst ff, I've ever played, and I've played...well, them all! Only good thing I can think of is the info on characters and events in the datalog as well as nice graphics (but I'm not too bothered with graphics). The negatives are numerous - from major annoyances to minor. Got ff13-2 waiting for me when I finish this so please tell me it's better than ff13....

Obviously the graphics was one but the way they made the summons into vehicles was pretty interesting to watch (though they failed a bit on summons lol)

Blog Entries

I loved it, but it came after XII (which I hated) so a big part of it was relief - to see that they can do interesting characters still.

So yeah, +1 to the consensus early in the thread... the characters. They were interesting, believable and had good character development.

I include Hope in that for sure - I know a lot of people hate him for being "whiny" and coming close to murdering Snow etc. I'm sorry but he's a kid who is already at a very emotionally driven age, just saw his mother die and got whisked off and given a ticking time bomb tattoo without a moment to breathe or grieve. What do you expect? Eventually, hey, he broke down and let his emotions out, got over his grudge and became a nice lad. Seems a nice story to me.

I agree it would've been compelling if, during that really dark low point of the game, Sazh really had killed himself. I honestly thought he had, at first, and it was like "whoa...", biggest shock since FF7, bigger with it being self inflicted and with him having a child. I guess they decided that was just too grim, and can't blame them. Plus let's be honest, we would've lost the coolest character.

The graphics and landscapes - breathtaking.

Some of the music (Blinded by Light and the boss music), great.

Enjoyed the story, even though the "hey let's kill Orphan anyway and rely on hope/destiny" ending made no sense at all. I don't know if -2 resolved that as I haven't finished it yet.

Yes it's extremely linear - on the positive side of that though you always know where you're going.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think I would've loved the cast of FFXII had the original director carried on to the end (not his fault, the stress of the project made him ill); the only real problem I have with the cast is Vaan (I don't even mind Penelo). They're drier than previous characters, but 5 years after buying the game, I appreciated the subtlety they put in the characters.

FFXIII on the other hand took a handful of characters and applied one basic feature to them.
    Lightning-Confident (but to the point she comes off as stuck up)
    Snow-Shounen Hero
    Vanille-Perky
    Hope-Adolescent (which implies impressionable, emotional, with need for a parental figure)
    Fang-sassy, I guess? (I felt like she was done a little better than the rest)
    Sazh-Old/aging. (As much as I like Sazh, I think it's less because "he's a very well written character", and more because "he's one of the smarter characters". But he attributes everything about his character that I liked, to being old).

Well, that was my rebuttal, here's my concession.
    -Graphics, moving on
    -I liked the stagger system; it was probably my favorite feature, although I wished it varied from enemy to enemy. So, rather than just using magic to increase the gauge while physically attacking to stabilize it, change up the enemy weaknesses. Another thing I'll admit is that staggering enemies with a party of ravagers (especially when it was just Sazh and Vanille) is about the most satisfying feeling ever; because that requires timing.
    -I liked the concept of different moves costing different ATB gauge chunks, but I imagined that would lead to more varied fighting. Instead, it just means attacking 4 consecutive times. To clarify, I originally pictured a system similar to FFXII (except the ATB gauge fills when a decision is not being made) where, if you felt so inclined, in one turn, you could attack, then cast a low level spell, and maybe follow up with another low level spell. Or you could use a medium level spell, then use an item (which could also vary in the amount of ATB gauge each item costs costs). This was what I pictured back in 2007 though.

Oh God, I hope it doesn't seem like I was complaining too much. I really do like these things, it's just that I'm saying how I think the ideas that I did like could be improved upon.
    Last edited by Edge7; 10-18-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Returners Represent!

Articles

I really enjoyed the music in this game.

Barthandalus' introduction was quite dramatic and impressive.

His death wasn't too bad either. If only they had actually foreshadowed his motivation, I might have liked him more.

And I liked Snow's and Hope's character arcs.

Eden Under Siege was awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    This is by faaaaar the worst ff, I've ever played, and I've played...well, them all! Only good thing I can think of is the info on characters and events in the datalog as well as nice graphics (but I'm not too bothered with graphics). The negatives are numerous - from major annoyances to minor. Got ff13-2 waiting for me when I finish this so please tell me it's better than ff13....
    it is way better

Blog Entries

I assume everythings been said but
    Aside from there being a remix of the main theme every 5 minutes, this had the best non-nobuo FF music.
    Great story and character development for about the first 9 chapters
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!